New Enclosure! (Custom Rock Wall etc!) PIC HEAVY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! So whoever saw my introduction thread showing off my enclosure when I first picked up Dexter, knew that it was a simple 20G tank with some accessories etc…Well being how big he has been getting I figured it would be time to make a nice upgrade.

I was going to post a “build” thread but didn’t want to keep anybody waiting throughout the process as I didn’t know how long it would take. So Ive been taking pictures as I went along and just tonight I finally finished and am ready to show it off!!

Here was his original setup…Basic 20”x10” 20G Tank, with ReptiSun 18” UVB, Basking, thermomoter setups and so on and so on…

The new enclosure is a 40G Breeder measuring 36”L x 18”W x 12”T. Very simple. Well I decided to make a project out of it by following some tips from Lizard Landscapes. I went out and picked myself up a pack of styrofoam board and 6x6 porcelain tiles and began constructing…

After a lot of measuring and cutting I ended up with a “rough mock up” I guess you could say…

Traced and cut out a spot for a 24” flourescent fixture…

Built a dig box which would later be filled with a substrate…

Now the fun part begins! I mixed myself up a tub of concrete mix, making it a little more watery than usual to make sure I get in every little space possible.

The following pictures are just progress of “cementing” the back board, side panel, and dig box…

The “DRY” product!

Notice how once dry it turns a lighter tanish color, well I wanted something a little darker so I picked up some Gray acrylic paints from WalMart ($2) and a small $0.50 bottle of black for accents.

Once everything was fully painted and dried in the gray, I took a little black and brushed most of it off and then lightly went over everything again. Light brushing and dabbing.
Left is with the black and the right side is only the gray.

Mocked up the tiles while everything was drying. Finished up cutting and making them fit perfectly. The only pic I have of this was the “unaligned” crappy cuts before I fixed it all! LOL

Finally after everything was dry, I went for it and got everything mounted in. Tiles are all siliconed to the bottom, backgrounds are also siliconed into place including the light fixture. Also added some foliage I had laying around to the dig box!

Today was my final day. I went out and picked myself up a 24” ReptiSun, Folding Screen Lid, an extra Exo Terra light mount, more foliage, and a huge bag of play sand for the dig box. Moved everything from his old enclosure to the new one such as his basking rock, and all thermometers.

And of course the final product with Dexter scoping out his new home!! He spent at least an hour licking EVERY single thing in the setup lmao.

I know its not PERFECT, but I spent a lot of time working on this being that this is my first “custom rock wall” build using styrofoam. I tried not to cut any corners, although I kind of rushed through the cuts in the foam which is why you can notice at the top of the wall the roughness…

I followed most steps from LizardLandscapes and some YouTube videos. This 40G Breeder should last him a pretty long time before I decide later down the road to possibly build an enclosure from scratch, but in the mean time he’ll enjoy this setup.
Like I said its nothing extravagant but I couldn’t believe how nice it turned out and couldn’t wait to share with everyone on here!

Let me know what you all think! :D :D

PhillyStang92

Original Poster
Historybuff1536":1lrlvidd said:
You did a wonderful job!!!!! :blob5:

*Highfive*

Thanks! Took some time but it was a very fun project. I would not mind doing it all again if he ever needs a bigger setup :)

lexus465

Juvie Member
That looks great! I might need to get started on a rock wall sooner than later!

A quick question, did you seal it after painting it?

PhillyStang92

Original Poster
Unfortunately I did NOT seal it...although if you are considering doing a project like this it's recommend that you seal it after painting. I found this out after it was all installed... :x

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Amazing job. I love the sandbox... i am going to be doing something like that for my 75gal tank shortly.

PhillyStang92

Original Poster
lexus465":3edbsk52 said:
Lol. Ok, I will keep that in mind. That's the great thing about forums like this!

Isn't that the truth! I always research on forums before getting myself into certain things! I believe the sealant is just to help protect against water and your beardie's waste (someone correct me if wrong?) and possibly from falling apart lol. So far mine has held up just great no chipping or peeling plus the acrylic paints I used are non-toxic.

XiDiS Keep us posted on the build if you decide to go through with it. You'll have a lot more room to mess around with in a 75 gal

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
LOOKS GREAT!!! this summer i plan to team up with my grandpa and do a bonding project by working together to build a custom made tank for my sweet baby! His name is Kovu (based off of Lion King 2) so his tank will be Lion King themed. i am sooooo excited!!!! It'll have the shadowlands as the cool side and pride rock as a basking spot on the hot side and then the canyon walls to be the texture background with Rafiki's tree as a hide and the log and what ever else i think of!!!! i can't wait! it'll be amazing!!!!

Oh and i had a question about the dig box...having a dig box is ok and not a risk of impaction? if not i might add a dig box as the land of the meerkats! :blob5: :blob5: :blob8: :blob8: :blob5: :blob5: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom