New enclosure—need help with lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommamango

Beardie name(s)
Mango
We have a 6-7 month old beardie that we adopted 3 months ago named Mango and bought a used 50 gallon vivarium today, pictured. He was in a 20 gallon tank and outgrew it. I’m not sure if the lighting that came with it is correct. On the left is a ceramic emitter only. On the right is a small bulb that I’m not sure what it’s for (also pictured) and a 75 watt bulb. I have a 5.0 reptisun UVB bulb from the old tank that will need to be changed out. Should this be 10.0? It rests on the screen and this new viv is so high that I don’t think the rays will reach very well. We plan to add a hammock and more sticks to climb up, but the picture shows what we transferred from the old enclosure. How do we get the UVB to be more effective? Are there other lighting changes we should make?

Attachments

• 666D69F6-E0B2-4141-826B-FD6FE430D696.jpeg
    666D69F6-E0B2-4141-826B-FD6FE430D696.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 108
  • D4CD5AA0-D961-4C64-AB55-321B8CC634CD.jpeg
    D4CD5AA0-D961-4C64-AB55-321B8CC634CD.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 90

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We have a 6-7 month old beardie that we adopted 3 months ago named Mango and bought a used 50 gallon vivarium today, pictured. He was in a 20 gallon tank and outgrew it. I’m not sure if the lighting that came with it is correct. On the left is a ceramic emitter only. On the right is a small bulb that I’m not sure what it’s for (also pictured) and a 75 watt bulb. I have a 5.0 reptisun UVB bulb from the old tank that will need to be changed out. Should this be 10.0? It rests on the screen and this new viv is so high that I don’t think the rays will reach very well. We plan to add a hammock and more sticks to climb up, but the picture shows what we transferred from the old enclosure. How do we get the UVB to be more effective? Are there other lighting changes we should make?
Yes change the 5.0 to the 10.0- distance needs to be 12-15 inches inside the tank directly above the basking decor piece -- the screen looks to be a fine mesh type -you want one good clear solid bright white basking bulb-- temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100-- these need to be surface basking temps- you only need the CHE if temps are falling below 65-75 for night time -- you want 3 temps in the tank cool side 80's middle 90's and basking spot 95-100-- if your using a hammock for basking you definitely need the probe IR guns do not read off of hammocks -- I would place the probes 2 of them one on your cool side and one on the basking side -- you dont need to leave it there place on the side of the tank but you want to spot check your temps at least one time a week - that one bulb looks like a coil please get rid of it --

mommamango

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Yes change the 5.0 to the 10.0- distance needs to be 12-15 inches inside the tank directly above the basking decor piece -- the screen looks to be a fine mesh type -you want one good clear solid bright white basking bulb-- temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100-- these need to be surface basking temps- you only need the CHE if temps are falling below 65-75 for night time -- you want 3 temps in the tank cool side 80's middle 90's and basking spot 95-100-- if your using a hammock for basking you definitely need the probe IR guns do not read off of hammocks -- I would place the probes 2 of them one on your cool side and one on the basking side -- you dont need to leave it there place on the side of the tank but you want to spot check your temps at least one time a week - that one bulb looks like a coil please get rid of it --
Thank you. The basking bulb is 75 watt, white.is that enough? Right now the temp is 85 degrees according to digital probe (IR gun says 82) so working on increasing it. We do have a space heater we can use until we get the lighting right.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you. The basking bulb is 75 watt, white.is that enough? Right now the temp is 85 degrees according to digital probe (IR gun says 82) so working on increasing it. We do have a space heater we can use until we get the lighting right.
You need one of these this is example Exo Terra® Intense Basking Spot Light | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart or this Zoo Med Reptile Basking Spot Lamp | reptile Bulbs & Lamps | PetSmart
these are going to be trial and error for wattage start w/ a 100 you want temps of 95-100 for a 6 month old and older taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- surface basking temps -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Where are you measuring the temperatures for the basking, directly underneath & on her basking
rock/platform? There can be a variance in temperatures around the basking area so she can
thermoregulate but needs a specific hotspot of a range of 95-105F at a small area.
The digital probe & temperature gun combination should be fine to double check temperatures.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom