New dragon, not eating greens or drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m extremely new to owning any reptiles, so this is my first bearded dragon, and unfortunately Im not as knowledgeable on lizards as I am snakes, so I need some help. I got him about 4 days ago from the school I just graduated from studying animal science.
I don’t know his exact age or any previous medical history, but I definitely know he’s an older, adult male. Right now he doesn’t seem extremely stressed and doesn’t show any signs of illness, but I can’t get him to eat any vegetables, or drink water. He happily eats the hornworms and superworms I’ve given him, then goes to bask for a little while, but just doesn’t seem interested in the variety of vegetables and even fruits at all. Ive also had a water bowl with him for the time I’ve had him until today where I leaned most experienced owners have said not to leave a water bowl in their viv, but with him not eating his misted greens, drinking from a bowl, or not taking water drops directly on his head, I’m running lower on options, and he’s starting to look a bit dehydrated.
Im considering giving him a bath, but I don’t want to stress him out too much since he’s still new to my house in general. Any help is appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You may haft to get some BSFL to lure him to the salad bowl - do you know if hes ever been fed salads- that is usually the best way to get hydration into them- hes gonna go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off - but your feeding him treat worms --- please get a staple feeder like crickets or dubia roaches - I recommend the dubias - what was his diet at the school? And most important of all is the lighting in the tank --- basking temps? what are they and how are you taking them? UVB EXTREMELY important --- what are you using ? coil or tube ? where in the tank is it? These two things I have just asked about are in control of the over all health and behavior of the dragon

Pineapplesmoothie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3o7xz2bt said:
You may haft to get some BSFL to lure him to the salad bowl - do you know if hes ever been fed salads- that is usually the best way to get hydration into them- hes gonna go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off - but your feeding him treat worms --- please get a staple feeder like crickets or dubia roaches - I recommend the dubias - what was his diet at the school? And most important of all is the lighting in the tank --- basking temps? what are they and how are you taking them? UVB EXTREMELY important --- what are you using ? coil or tube ? where in the tank is it? These two things I have just asked about are in control of the over all health and behavior of the dragon

To my knowledge he was given salads but i'm not too sure if he ate them there either. Especially since I don't think he was given much variety then, and I know for sure he rarely got any insects while there. I have the reptisun 10.0 tube uvb that sits next to the basking light, and temperatures by the basking light are usually between 98F to 100F, and im taking them with a probe digital thermometer, along with a hand-held digital infrared thermometer as an extra reading. Its been hotter recently so the cooler side of his tank has been a bit warmer than i'd like, but its not a concerning number. My bets are honestly that its just relocation stress that will fade, but I don't want him to be without water for too long. Also ill look into dubia roaches, the only reason I got the worms was because there wasn't any other options at the two stores I got the other supplies from.

Pineapplesmoothie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":19s1zgc6 said:
10.0 tube uvb ? Is this a T 5 or a T 8 --- how old is the bulb ? Distance and placement for the two bulbs is crucial --- please look on the tube and tell me brand and bulb please it will tell you --- also is the screen fine mesh like a screen door and a wide hole type?
http://www.dubiaroaches.com
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
my mistake, didn't mean to put "tube" it's a zoo med compact bulb, its about 5 days old, I got it the day before I picked him up from the school. And mesh is wide hole.
Also thanks for those links they're very useful, kale is one of a few different greens I've been offering to him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coil ASAP---- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues -- you need a long tube fixture 24" fixture like a Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia --- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb --- you can go here and get the Arcadia
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html 24" w/ the 12% bulb -- they are out of stock on the Zoo Meds -- you would need to look on Amazon-- that comes w/ the 5.0 hang onto it for back up you need the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- please do this ASAP--- your dragon needs this UVB to keep him eating --- they will not eat w/ improper UVB and that coil is no good ---
Also post back on here when you get it and I will help you set it up in your tank - distance and placement is crucial for effectiveness of the UVB rays

Pineapplesmoothie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":22l2h4hx said:
Please get rid of the coil ASAP---- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues -- you need a long tube fixture 24" fixture like a Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia --- w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb --- you can go here and get the Arcadia
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html 24" w/ the 12% bulb -- they are out of stock on the Zoo Meds -- you would need to look on Amazon-- that comes w/ the 5.0 hang onto it for back up you need the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- please do this ASAP--- your dragon needs this UVB to keep him eating --- they will not eat w/ improper UVB and that coil is no good ---
Also post back on here when you get it and I will help you set it up in your tank - distance and placement is crucial for effectiveness of the UVB rays

That link has the 24", 12% listed out of stock too, but if I bought
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptisun-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00LQKAKEO
and
https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho/dp/257675?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D
that would be right? I'm just making sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let me know when the UVB comes in so I can help you get it placed in your tank

Pineapplesmoothie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ud81gc7w said:
Let me know when the UVB comes in so I can help you get it placed in your tank
Hi. So I got both the uvb and the hood, and I replaced the 5.0 the hood came with, with the 10.0, but it doesn't seem to come with anything to mount it in my tank. What do you suggest I do or maybe get to place it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom