New dragon behaviour

Booey123

Beardie name(s)
Rex
Hello all 👋🏼 need some advice. I rescued a 3 year old male 2 weeks ago. When I first had him I could easily pick him up and take him out of his enclosure for some outside time. Over the last few days he is positioning himself so I can’t quite get to him to pick him up, under branches, back of tank. He happily eats out of hand but when I go to pick him up he backs away a little. I don’t want to stress him so don’t try too many times, just leave my hand in the tank so he knows I’m not a threat. He doesn’t run or hide when I approach his enclosure though. Is it just a relocation thing and he’s just getting used to a new home and me? I’m new to this and just want to make his life as happy as possible. Last thing I want to do is upset him. I’m worried that it’s been a few days since handing and this will have some negative effects on our bonding, his beard is also a little darker 💚 Thank you ☺️

Attachments

• EB504E51-425B-4736-9065-E653ED980AE6.jpeg
    EB504E51-425B-4736-9065-E653ED980AE6.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 110

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all 👋🏼 need some advice. I rescued a 3 year old male 2 weeks ago. When I first had him I could easily pick him up and take him out of his enclosure for some outside time. Over the last few days he is positioning himself so I can’t quite get to him to pick him up, under branches, back of tank. He happily eats out of hand but when I go to pick him up he backs away a little. I don’t want to stress him so don’t try too many times, just leave my hand in the tank so he knows I’m not a threat. He doesn’t run or hide when I approach his enclosure though. Is it just a relocation thing and he’s just getting used to a new home and me? I’m new to this and just want to make his life as happy as possible. Last thing I want to do is upset him. I’m worried that it’s been a few days since handing and this will have some negative effects on our bonding, his beard is also a little darker 💚 Thank you ☺️
Relocation stress- and he needs to learn to trust you- go slow keep hand feeding him- place a piece of clothing or a fleece blanket I his tank something w/ your scent on it - Also make sure your surface basking temps are 95-100 taken w a digital probe thermometer- and a long tube fixture for a uvb- no coils please-- if you need recommendations I can post links

Booey123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Relocation stress- and he needs to learn to trust you- go slow keep hand feeding him- place a piece of clothing or a fleece blanket I his tank something w/ your scent on it - Also make sure your surface basking temps are 95-100 taken w a digital probe thermometer- and a long tube fixture for a uvb- no coils please-- if you need recommendations I can post links
Thank you so much for your reply. I have the Arcadia ProT5 12% and the Arcadia 100w basking light. His basking temp is around 100 taken with a lazer temp gun. I’ve read so many things and I’m so worried he’s stressed out. Is it okay to just leave him and not handle for a few more days? It’s getting on for nearly 5. I know it will take time but want to start off on the right foot. I’ve added a couple of pics of his set up and where he’s chilling at the moment. Any more advise is greatly appreciated 💚

Attachments

• D52E5DF4-C8A5-407F-85BA-DBF4ABD14B1A.jpeg
    D52E5DF4-C8A5-407F-85BA-DBF4ABD14B1A.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 3AC6CB7C-C076-45C5-86D1-1CFD22DE6D56.jpeg
    3AC6CB7C-C076-45C5-86D1-1CFD22DE6D56.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 62
  • 7AC38D43-1BF2-4595-8065-02D3A762A464.jpeg
    7AC38D43-1BF2-4595-8065-02D3A762A464.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 68

Booey123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Thank you so much for your reply. I have the Arcadia ProT5 12% and the Arcadia 100w basking light. His basking temp is around 100 taken with a lazer temp gun. I’ve read so many things and I’m so worried he’s stressed out. Is it okay to just leave him and not handle for a few more days? It’s getting on for nearly 5. I know it will take time but want to start off on the right foot. I’ve added a couple of pics of his set up and where he’s chilling at the moment. Any more advise is greatly appreciated 💚
Just to add, in the last picture there is a coil uvb but this is not plugged in. Had issues with faulty Arcadia uvb bulbs so this is just a back up fixture either for uvb or a ceramic heat bulb if ever needed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just to add, in the last picture there is a coil uvb but this is not plugged in. Had issues with faulty Arcadia uvb bulbs so this is just a back up fixture either for uvb or a ceramic heat bulb if ever needed.
Interesting on the Arcadia bulbs but there is always that possibility --- please keep a back up of the Arcadia 12% bulb --- coils are NO good -- is the distance for the UVB 12-15 inches? Where are you getting the UVB bulbs from? On line or a pet store? CHE's are good for night time temps -- 65-75 -- the digital probe thermometers are the most accurate - please get two of them - IR guns and are good but cannot read off of certain basking materials -

Booey123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Interesting on the Arcadia bulbs but there is always that possibility --- please keep a back up of the Arcadia 12% bulb --- coils are NO good -- is the distance for the UVB 12-15 inches? Where are you getting the UVB bulbs from? On line or a pet store? CHE's are good for night time temps -- 65-75 -- the digital probe thermometers are the most accurate - please get two of them - IR guns and are good but cannot read off of certain basking materials -
Thank you, getting the Arcadia uvb bulbs from Swell online as no stores where I live (Jersey, Channel Islands) stock Arcadia anymore. I have 2 back ups of each bulb. Distance is roughly 17 inches as fixed inside the enclosure. I’ll order the digital probe thermometers now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, getting the Arcadia uvb bulbs from Swell online as no stores where I live (Jersey, Channel Islands) stock Arcadia anymore. I have 2 back ups of each bulb. Distance is roughly 17 inches as fixed inside the enclosure. I’ll order the digital probe thermometers now.
Ok that is where I send UK people to get those fixtures and bulbs - they must of gotten a bad batch in as that sometimes happens w/ all of them -- distance is good -- let him adjust to his tank and surroundings and pet him in the tank -- he should come around

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Your setup looks very nice, interact with him but maybe do so inside his habitat for a few days, he is just scared, his whole world just changed, have patience with him and he will come around, they always do. 🙂

Booey123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Heres an update for you guys as it all’s taken a very positive turn 😊 Seems he was a little constipated and was grumpy because he couldn’t go. He’s done the biggest poop and is such a happy boy now. Even asking for pets in his playpen and had my first neck snuggle 🤗 But, now he’s back in his viv and keeps giving me the stink eye as he wants to be out. Have a great New Year

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Thats great!! And they are great at stink eye lmao 🤣

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom