New Cuban Rock Iguana!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Here is Spike! I bought the 5 year old male Cuban Rock Iguana & 6ft x 3ft x 3ft cage on Sunday. It was a long day, about 120 miles each way. It was a real pain in the butt getting the cage in the house. We had to walk it up the back stairs and remove both doors of the sliding glass doors for 10-15 minutes (in 30 degree weather!), but we finally got it in.

My wife gave him a long shower/bath to remove all the shed. He's still not sure about me. He came to the door of the cage a couple of time but mostly he stays back.

My wife came home after work on Monday to find him basking in the sun on the top of the couch!! He knows how to open the sliding glass doors!! I stuck a rubber grip pencil between the glass panels and I hope that keeps him in. I need to find a simple latch that isn't removable. I bought a couple of different childproof latches for cabinet drawers & doors, none of them will fit. I'll have to think about it and hope the pencil keeps him in. ANY IDEAS????

IMG_1654_.jpg

IMG_1646_.jpg

Indy_Dragon_Fan

Hatchling Member
Wow he's a handsome fellow. How big is he now? Cant wait to hear more about him. If you post some pictures of your cage, I might be able to offer suggestions on locks or latches.

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Indy_Dragon_Fan":c62ab said:
Wow he's a handsome fellow. How big is he now? Cant wait to hear more about him. If you post some pictures of your cage, I might be able to offer suggestions on locks or latches.
He's about 40", I'm told. I haven't done any measuring our weighing yet. One of the sliding glass doors has the receiver of the lock but he forgot to give it to me. He's going to mail it this week. Either we'll have to put up with him getting out every day or I'll put some dowels in the tracks. I'll takes some more pics this week. Too much to do!

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Here's a few new pics. His name is Spike (wife named him). I forgot to take pics of the enclosure. He's such a ham!! The pic with the pen gives you a better idea of how big he is, he's not as big as the pics make him look.

IMG_1675_.jpg

IMG_1666_.jpg

IMG_1668_.jpg

IMG_1670_.jpg

IMG_1673_.jpg

Any bets on if he's a Cayman Blue/Cuban hybrid and how much???

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Here's a pic of his enclosure with his girlfriend to the left. On top to the left will go the Cayman Blue/Cuban hybrid, and to the right is the "runt" baby Blue Tegu. He's going to be staying a while longer with us. He's no where near as aggressive an eater as the others where. He ate 2 pinkies today though.

IMG_1685_.jpg

Lsorrent

Juvie Member
OMG Dave! He looks just like my Brody, only all grown up! Now I know what I have to look forward to :D

PS - new Brody pics on his thread :D

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Lsorrent":2161f said:
OMG Dave! He looks just like my Brody, only all grown up! Now I know what I have to look forward to :D

A couple of weeks ago I traded a baby Blue Tegu for a baby Cayman Blue/Cuban Rock Iguana hybrid!! I've read they are skittish for the first year or so, and he is. I still haven't taken any pics of him.

Lsorrent

Juvie Member
DaveDragon":cbbd5 said:
Lsorrent":cbbd5 said:

A couple of weeks ago I traded a baby Blue Tegu for a baby Cayman Blue/Cuban Rock Iguana hybrid!! I've read they are skittish for the first year or so, and he is. I still haven't taken any pics of him.

Brody is still really skittish with us, but he's getting better. I've learned that he doesn't like to be held in our hands, but he will gladly climb up onto our shoulders and just sit there. The one thing he IS learning, is that his hissing gets him no where. When he gets anxious and tries running away, we use a firmer grip and calmly but sternly say "BRODY....NO." Then when he's being nice he gets "Nice Brody...."

Feels like I'm raising a child :lol:

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Lsorrent":3d3fb said:
DaveDragon":3d3fb said:
Lsorrent":3d3fb said:

Brody is still really skittish with us, but he's getting better. I've learned that he doesn't like to be held in our hands, but he will gladly climb up onto our shoulders and just sit there. The one thing he IS learning, is that his hissing gets him no where. When he gets anxious and tries running away, we use a firmer grip and calmly but sternly say "BRODY....NO." Then when he's being nice he gets "Nice Brody...."

Feels like I'm raising a child :lol:
We've got 3 kids. I'm sure the reptiles will listen better than our kids!!!

ronni1221

Juvie Member
That is one of the coolest reptiles I've ever seen! So many different textures and colors on one animal. Amazing.

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ronni1221":bd3a5 said:
That is one of the coolest reptiles I've ever seen! So many different textures and colors on one animal. Amazing.
The green is from the MegaRay bulb.

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Darnit. You sure had me fooled! Regardless, I studied these photos for like 30 min last night. He is so interesting-looking. I was infatuated. Well, still am, as I sit here staring at the pics some more...

DaveDragon

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks!! He is very interesting and he seems to thing the same about us. He's very good natured and has been much better with us picking him up, he used to thrash, the claws can do some damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom