New beardie with questions!

Echrisoe827

Beardie name(s)
Indigo
Hey all, I just got my first baby beardie almost 3 weeks ago (Friday will be 3 weeks). Got it from a reputable exotics shop. It's about 5 inches or so and I think a citrus morph. It's pretty active, VERY skittish. And seldomly eating. Maybe seen no more than 10 crickets eaten throughout the day. Some days it won't eat at all. Ive tried giving it time to acclimate with almost no interaction other than giving food and changing water, etc. Will not take food from my hands or tongs. Won't go near any fruits or veggies. I did have some old meal worms on hand and it will occasionally eat a few of those but no more than 3 or 4 over a whole day. Zero interest in BSFL. If I try to pet or hold it, it just runs away all over the enclosure. Stress marks are starting to happen less often. It's in a 20 gallon tank with a 100w halogen bulb akd the reptisun 10.0 tube. Basking is 105-110 and cool is low 80's during the day and low 70's at night (house is set to 73, I live in AZ) I measure with temp gun. Humidity averages 25-35% I can tell it's grown a little. Tummy has gotten bigger and so has head so I know it's growing. It just doesn't have much interest in food and I'm worried. Poop is hard and a combo of the dark brown and white which I've read is normal (although I only ever find it after so it could be that it's dried out) I plan to try dubia this weekend. Is there anything else I can do to encourage food? This afternoon it drank water drops from my finger tips. Tale has changed color so I assume a shed is coming. It did eat 3 crickets, 4 BSFL and 10 mealworms between Saturday Sunday and yesterday but ate nothing today. Veggies I've offered are parsley, spinach, cilantro, banana, strawberries, and apple but again it just turns away, closes eyes, or runs off. Should I continue to keep distance and let it acclimate more? Should I try to keep handling to improve bond? I'm afraid if I bother it I'll just make it harder for it to eat. No idea on gender.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Temps sound good. I’ve known relocation stress to last awhile in some cases. What kind of uvb are you using ? Also I’d lay off the meal worms they are not easy to digest and have personally had problems before. As far as more interaction I would but that’s just me some others may disagree but then again our baby had very little relocation stress. Ate greens as a baby, drank from water bowl, we had it pretty easy LOL

Echrisoe827

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Indigo
Temps sound good. I’ve known relocation stress to last awhile in some cases. What kind of uvb are you using ? Also I’d lay off the meal worms they are not easy to digest and have personally had problems before
Thank you. Yes I'm aware of the meal worms issue. I just tried it out of desperation and I guess it prefers that the most unfortunately. I get paid Friday and will pick up dubia and horn worms to try that.

Echrisoe827

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Indigo
What kind of uvb you running
Congrats on your new baby beardie they are the best!
The uvb is a reptisun 10.0 tube. Substrate is rabbit pellets- I was told to use that by the dumb shop staff. I'm switching that out this weekend. And possibly into a larger enclosure if I can find one. I saw a 4x2x2 on Craigslist.

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_174643763.jpg
    IMG_20220508_174643763.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 99

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
4x2x2 would def house your baby it’s whole life. I apologize I see that you put your uvb in original post. What’s your distance on the uvb to bask spot ? Is the uvb the entire length of tank

Echrisoe827

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Indigo
4x2x2 would def house your baby it’s whole life. I apologize I see that you put your uvb in original post. What’s your distance on the uvb to bask spot ? Is the uvb the entire length of tank
Uvb to bask is probably 10 inches or so. It takes up about 3/4 tank. My only concern is if a 4x2x2 is a bit too much for how small he/she is right now... Or will they do better with that much more space?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Wouldn’t hurt to give the baby a place to get a few inches closer to the uvb. They like a 3-6 uv index. I’ve seen a lot of people run tests and stuff someone on here actually has a chart that shows a reptisun t5 10.0 under screen and on screen uvi based of different distances. @CooperDragon

It’s a T5 reptisun 10.0 right?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
The tank that’s really a matter of opinion. Some would say it will stress the baby out and what not but I personally think it would be fine. Why not make one purchase instead of 2 or 3. Because they grow fast LOL

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I would just Leave it on top till you get new enclosure. 10 inches is good enough but if there’s anyway you can put something in the tank to allow the dragon to get a little closer if it chooses too.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Oh good! Sweet deal yeah get some dubia and try Sprinkling the black soldier flies onto some greens a lot of people have luck getting them eating greens this way. They’re running away in the lack of eating and things like that are probably just relocation stress your temps and your UVB are good so I do not believe it’s anything you are doing. Just make sure you’re not too stressed when you deal with the dragon they do feel you. And I handled mine as much as I could, When you do pick them up make sure you don’t drag your hand over their head they have a pineal gland in the center of their head it helps them see predators from above. Make sure your hand is completely under the stomach so that they feel secure. If you’re picking them up Just make sure you’re coming from under them and not from above them like slide your hand under the stomach never picked them up from above. With all that said just give the baby some time when and if it’ll let you hand feed it this is also a good way to gain bond but do not get it in the habit of doing it all the time because then they will expect it. Best of luck to you both

Echrisoe827

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Indigo
Oh good! Sweet deal yeah get some dubia and try Sprinkling the black soldier flies onto some greens a lot of people have luck getting them eating greens this way. They’re running away in the lack of eating and things like that are probably just relocation stress your temps and your UVB are good so I do not believe it’s anything you are doing. Just make sure you’re not too stressed when you deal with the dragon they do feel you. And I handled mine as much as I could, When you do pick them up make sure you don’t drag your hand over their head they have a pineal gland in the center of their head it helps them see predators from above. Make sure your hand is completely under the stomach so that they feel secure. If you’re picking them up Just make sure you’re coming from under them and not from above them like slide your hand under the stomach never picked them up from above. With all that said just give the baby some time when and if it’ll let you hand feed it this is also a good way to gain bond but do not get it in the habit of doing it all the time because then they will expect it. Best of luck to you both
THank you very much for your support and reassurance! Truly appreciated

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom