New beardie stinks of cigarettes

CurlyShark

I just adopted a 1 year old (hatched May 2021) male dragon from Craigslist Monday evening. After giving him two baths (one immediately upon coming home with him cos he was absolutely filthy and one yesterday cos he still had hard stuff stuck to his beard), he began to reek of cigarette smoke. Both times the water came out a rust color. I gave him another bath today and the water stayed clear, but he still really stinks badly of cigarettes.

Is there anything I can use besides plain water to try to clean the stench off him? I'm sure if it's unpleasant for me, it must be even worse for the little guy 🙁

Besides the stink, he seems okay and looks pretty healthy. He's eating well, pooping, basking, very active.. No breathing issues or anything like that. I'll be taking him to my vet next week to get him checked out and all, but it the meantime I want to make sure he's clean and comfortable.

FYI he was rehomed due to the teenage angst hitting him and they hadn't been able to handle him for about 5 weeks, so I am sure he didn't get any baths during that time. He was kept on sand, so he was really dirty when I got him. He's not giving me any problems handling him, so either he really likes me or he coincidentally and conveniently is coming out of his "spring fever" 😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Congratzz on your new buddy. Please read through the care sheets and set up info found here. (If you are new to beardies) Their care isn't hard but it is specific and critical.
As far as a bath i use a soft toothbrush when i bathe mine

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The smell will probably just need to dissipate over time. I wouldn't stress him out too much by the continual baths.

-Brandon

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
When my beardies has a smell typically from the beardie vitamins I add a cap or two of lemon juice to the water and it helps. I also brush him with the water with a soft toothbrush.

CurlyShark

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions; I’ll hold off on the baths then. funny thing about the lemon juice suggestion.. Earlier today during suntime he ran through some lizard tail plants by the pond. Those have a bit of a citrus scent and that seems to have helped get some of the cigarette smell off him. Now I only smell it when I sniff close to him.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom