New Beardie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

We have a wonderful new pet 'Elvis'. he's about 3 months old and I wanted to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Firstly I will say he's in a smaller viv at the moment but we will be getting a larger one v soon.

So I had a real prob with the temp and lighting. It seems there's so much conflicting advice. But I got a Arcadia pro T5 for sunlight and turn this off overnight. Then I got a habistat pulse proportional thermostat that connects to a ceramic heater E27 150w. I changed form a 100W as the viv didn't seem to be getting to a high enough temp. But now it's around 32-33 on his basking place. Is this right? as I'm not sure with this set up that I'll be able to achieve the higher temps needed for an adult?

On the food front. He has mainly cricks, dusted in calcium once a day and dusted in the vitamins twice a week. He has maybe 2-4 feeding sessions a day and sometimes eats loads, other times just a couple. He will eat lettuce and rocket too, but mainly when hand fed, though he has on a couple of occasions gone down to his food bowl, when i've dropped some in.

I have a small water bowl in there but I'm not sure he's drinking. He mainly waddles through it. I spray him 2-3 times week, but not sure he's that keen?

Also how much should he be handled. My kids are very gentle with him and he does seem to go really bright coloured when he's with them and when he's put into the viv he doesn't immediately jump off, so I guess he like it.

His colours change from dark to bright all the time and his tail is definitely duller than the rest of him, but not black.

is there anything i'm doing wrong or should be doing different?

thanks in advance.

Al

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The heat emitter is for nite time use -- you need a bright white basking bulb for digesting food - the temps should be 105-110 F for a baby and I would start w/ a 75 watt bulb -- make sure you have the digital probe sitting on the place where he sits to bask - the Pro 5 needs to be sitting approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor w/ NO obstruction - - if your using a screen it must be a wide hole type screen and distance would be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor -

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your pulse thermostat is a good way to control the CHE. As mentioned, they are typically used for overnight heat as needed but can also be used to supplement daytime heat if the bright white basking bulb isn't providing enough at times. You want the basking surface temps to be between about 38-42 during the day. Overnight, the enclosure should stay above about 18 or so. If it does so under normal room temps, then you really won't need the extra heater. I use one in the winter when my house gets cold. I have mine set to come on at 20 and off again at 23 - cooler temps overnight are natural, you just don't want them to drop too much.

As far as handling goes, it sounds like he is OK with it if he has bright colors and isn't acting defensive. I'd keep interacting with him as long as he continues to show positive reactions to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom