New beardie owners need any help?

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Hi i feel like this is the time of year a handful of people get a beardie and need a little bit of help we all went through that when we first got our dragons so this is a forum if you need help but don't really know what to ask for if that makes sense and also if you ask for help on this forum I'll most likely respond fast because I get notifications on my phone when someone replies to my threads
thanks for asking for help^^

Adauphin

I just got a new beardie 4 days ago. I have a 10 gallon setup for now (i will be upgrading to a 40 gallon later when he grows). Im using an 85 watt basking light with uva and uvb all in one. The basking area is between 100-110, but im having some issues with the cool side. Its staying around 75 degrees. Starting yesterday ive noticed him a little less active and not eating his crickets. Im kind of worried about him. Should I get his cool side temp up more, and if so how? Here is a pick of his setup

Attachments

• 20220228_113036.jpg
    20220228_113036.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 122

Adauphin

I just got a new beardie 4 days ago. I have a 10 gallon setup for now (i will be upgrading to a 40 gallon later when he grows). Im using an 85 watt basking light with uva and uvb all in one. The basking area is between 100-110, but im having some issues with the cool side. Its staying around 75 degrees. Starting yesterday ive noticed him a little less active and not eating his crickets. Im kind of worried about him. Should I get his cool side temp up more, and if so how? Here is a pick of his setup
Oh the thermometer isnt on top of the basking rock anymore lol

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
it seems like your beardie wants to stay on the cool side because the basking spot is too hot for him and then the cold side is to cold try a 75 watt for him and then when he grows I'm going to say it now GET A 75 GALLON it's not nessicarily a bad thing but its funny because I see someone following my foot steps I had a 10 gallon for my beardie and then we got her a 40 gallon yes it lasted a while but if we would have just gotten the tank that we have now we would have saved HUNDREDS of dollars but another problem is where is the uvb? UVB is VERY important for them and can even cost them there lives I know this isn't the best decision since they need a tube light and in a 10 gallon there's not enough space i'd say get a double dome and put your 75 watt basking bulb in one side and get a 10.0 uvb light for the other side and when she moves into a bigger tank get a tube light if you need help with sizing and where to put it then I'm always here^^

Adauphin

it seems like your beardie wants to stay on the cool side because the basking spot is too hot for him and then the cold side is to cold try a 75 watt for him and then when he grows I'm going to say it now GET A 75 GALLON it's not nessicarily a bad thing but its funny because I see someone following my foot steps I had a 10 gallon for my beardie and then we got her a 40 gallon yes it lasted a while but if we would have just gotten the tank that we have now we would have saved HUNDREDS of dollars but another problem is where is the uvb? UVB is VERY important for them and can even cost them there lives I know this isn't the best decision since they need a tube light and in a 10 gallon there's not enough space i'd say get a double dome and put your 75 watt basking bulb in one side and get a 10.0 uvb light for the other side and when she moves into a bigger tank get a tube light if you need help with sizing and where to put it then I'm always here^^
Do you think i should get another light for the cool side to bring the temp up a bit? Also everything ive read says basking should be 100-110 degrees. Is that not correct?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
You want the temp from the basking spot with a probe thermometer to measure actual surface temp. The stick on can only measure the ambient air temperature, so if it is reading 110 that surface is hotter. Also just be aware that the mercury vapor bulbs like you have sometimes don't produce enough UVB and some brands have even been shown to be harmful. I don't use them so I'm not as knowledgeable on which brands are alright and which aren't. If you want to change to a long tube light, you can get a ZooMed T5 hood and use the 5.0 bulb it comes with for your 10 gallon tank and then change to a 10.0 bulb in a bigger tank.

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Do you think i should get another light for the cool side to bring the temp up a bit? Also everything ive read says basking should be 100-110 degrees. Is that not correct?
For babies that is pretty intense and if you get the double light it should make the cool side a tad hotter

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Like Smaug said get yourself a probe thermometer and then use your other thermometer for the cool side. 100-110 is fine for any age dragon but again like Smaug mentioned above if that dial says 110 it’s probably 120-125 on the surface. So maybe until you get a probe thermometer see if you can get the dial to read 95 or so by raising the light up but that’s going to decrease the uvb and hence the problem with MVB bulbs. Use it for now and maybe save up for a t5 setup.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Another thing is invest in a temp gun their pretty cheap and great to use along with the probe because I’ll find when my probe says 105 for example the temp gun might read 110 so you can use the two to tweak the temperature to exactly what your dragon likes.

Limited-time deal: Etekcity Infrared Thermometer 774, Digital Temperature Gun for Cooking, Non Contact Electric Laser IR Temp Gauge, Home Repairs, Handmaking, Surface Measuring, -58 to 716 ℉, - 50 to 380 ℃, Yellow https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_dl_EDMJ8S2PG3Q8B7VEA90F

Laura Kathryn

Beardie name(s)
Peache Troy
ALL looks good , they do need to adapt to their new home wouldn't worry eating just yet. However a double dome light should be perfect you don't want it to be too hot on the cool side. When you get your bigger habitat then you could have the extra lights uv-b especially. Can't wait to see the new crib

Last edited:

Laura Kathryn

Beardie name(s)
Peache Troy
ALL looks good , they do need to adapt to their forever home . Be patient, and do not leave any live crickets in your babies habitat please . Big no no . They are smart , so don't stress about the cool side . They know where to go to warm up . Best of luck. Can't wait to see the new crib .
However a double dome light will work. When u get hee big home definitely add a long tube light . Change often. Xxxooo i wanna see pic's

Laura Kathryn

Beardie name(s)
Peache Troy
Hi i feel like this is the time of year a handful of people get a beardie and need a little bit of help we all went through that when we first got our dragons so this is a forum if you need help but don't really know what to ask for if that makes sense and also if you ask for help on this forum I'll most likely respond fast because I get notifications on my phone when someone replies to my threads
thanks for asking for help^^
Thank you for being there for us

Adauphin

However a double dome light will work. When u get hee big home definitely add a long tube light . Change often. Xxxooo i wanna see pic's
Here is my new setup. Heat bulb over the basking area and uva/uvb over the mid. Hes so much happier with more room. I should have done this from the beginning.

Attachments

• 20220312_161446.jpg
    20220312_161446.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 111

Adauphin

Like Smaug said get yourself a probe thermometer and then use your other thermometer for the cool side. 100-110 is fine for any age dragon but again like Smaug mentioned above if that dial says 110 it’s probably 120-125 on the surface. So maybe until you get a probe thermometer see if you can get the dial to read 95 or so by raising the light up but that’s going to decrease the uvb and hence the problem with MVB bulbs. Use it for now and maybe save up for a t5 setup.

I got a thermal temp gun and its working great. Thanks

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom