New beardie owner!

Jordanbryant

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I got my beardie from Pet Smart (I know don’t say it) about a little over a month ago. I’m pretty sure she is a girl and her name is Mango. This is my first beardie and I’ve down a ton of research but I want to know more. So I’m really just open to suggestions! I’m going to attach some pictures and I would like feedback on if she’s looking like I’m doing an alright job! I just want to be the best beardie mom there is. ALSO! Does anyone know about an age on her? I know no more than a couple months.

Jordanbryant

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Here are some pictures of my Mango!

Attachments

• EB47CA6B-0C41-4B33-B69E-DBB427078917.jpeg
    EB47CA6B-0C41-4B33-B69E-DBB427078917.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 31E968B7-BD5B-407F-92CD-FB56BB4FC4B9.jpeg
    31E968B7-BD5B-407F-92CD-FB56BB4FC4B9.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 14311A53-52FF-4408-835B-53137778D531.jpeg
    14311A53-52FF-4408-835B-53137778D531.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 70
  • E32883D0-45B5-47F4-8D04-09DB4FCAF22F.jpeg
    E32883D0-45B5-47F4-8D04-09DB4FCAF22F.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 67
  • C14BFEEE-5E36-4C61-BAB9-188E19262D09.jpeg
    C14BFEEE-5E36-4C61-BAB9-188E19262D09.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 83
Beardie name(s)
Fire
She's adorable!! I would guess that she's 3-4 months old, but I can't be sure.
Can we see a picture of the whole enclosure? What are you using for substrate?
I personally don't recommend the tape stick on wall thermometers, I think that they can be inaccurate.
It seems like you're doing a great job so far!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She is a cutie 💓
I would get digital probe thermometers instead of that stripe. Also what is your lighting set up? The uvb (and placement) and the basking are the most critical aspect of their care.

Jordanbryant

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
She's adorable!! I would guess that she's 3-4 months old, but I can't be sure.
Can we see a picture of the whole enclosure? What are you using for substrate?
I personally don't recommend the tape stick on wall thermometers, I think that they can be inaccurate.
It seems like you're doing a great job so far!
I’ve heard about the stick on the wall thermometers being wrong so I am going to switch that up. Do you recommend I just get a digital thermometer and check her hot and cool sides throughout the day? I will attach a picture of her whole enclosure in the morning. Right now I only have a 20 gallon but she’s growing so I am about to upgrade to a 40 gallon until she gets to be full grown and I will upgrade her to a bigger enclosure. For substrate they just sold me one of those sand mats I’ve been switching those out about once a week. I’ve heard so many different opinions on substrate, what do you recommend?

Jordanbryant

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
She is a cutie 💓
I would get digital probe thermometers instead of that stripe. Also what is your lighting set up? The uvb (and placement) and the basking are the most critical aspect of their care.
Thank you! I have heard about those being inaccurate as well so I will definitely look into the thermometers you’re suggesting. When I got her I also got the enclosure that had a bunch of things that came with it, so the lighting I have are just 2 bulbs one for uvb one for her basking. Right now she likes to chill out on her basking place for most of the day so I have the uvb sitting right next to the heating lamp. I’ve done research and saw that tube lights are the best for uvb! Do you have any brands that you recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you! I have heard about those being inaccurate as well so I will definitely look into the thermometers you’re suggesting. When I got her I also got the enclosure that had a bunch of things that came with it, so the lighting I have are just 2 bulbs one for uvb one for her basking. Right now she likes to chill out on her basking place for most of the day so I have the uvb sitting right next to the heating lamp. I’ve done research and saw that tube lights are the best for uvb! Do you have any brands that you recommend?
Yes I will post links for you later today -- there are 3 that are recommended

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Work with Karrieree on your lighting, she's really good and can help you get it spot on 🙂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I will post links for you later today -- there are 3 that are recommended
24" for a 40 gallon + tank
Zoo med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a 10.0 reptisun T 5 bulb-- Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood variant=40651
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
Pet smart carries these 24 watt w/ a 12% bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart or this one you will need the 22" reptisun 10.0 bulb posted above
You want the 2 ft or 24"
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html - please let me know when you get the uvb I will help you place it for your tank - the screen on the tank will determine where it goes

Jordanbryant

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Zoo med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a 10.0 reptisun T 5 bulb-- Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood variant=40651
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart or this one you will need the 22" reptisun 10.0 bulb posted above
You want the 2 ft or 24"
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html - please let me know when you get the uvb I will help you place it for your tank - the screen on the tank will determine where it goes
Awesome thank you so much! I won’t be able to get it until next week when I get paid but as soon as I get it I will message you and have you help me if that’s okay!

Jordanbryant

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
You want the 2 ft or 24"
I also would be interested in hearing what you use for substrate! I’ve heard so many opinions on what to use and what not to use.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Welcome to the family Mango!! Listen, I too didn't know and bought vs adopt. We live and we learn. Read my adventures about Rocky! Now you have the obligation to give Mango all of the love and the best care. You now have hundreds of family members here to support you...look up, see how easy that was :love:
We want absolutely nothing the best for ALL beardies!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I also would be interested in hearing what you use for substrate! I’ve heard so many opinions on what to use and what not to use.
I use a black mat from Zen Habitats - and 2 pieces of slated ceramic tile w/ some texture to keep the nails down- please do not use any walnut shells or coconut fiber -- if you want to use some lose substrate a mixture of play sand w/ some top soil that has no fertilizers in it can be used -

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom