New Beardie Owner

So I recently got my first beardie and I wasn’t sure the exact species he is. The store had him labeled as “Assorted Uncommon”. Would anybody be able to identify it for me?

Attachments

• 39A603C3-D506-4765-8DFC-88EAA66D89A6.jpeg
    39A603C3-D506-4765-8DFC-88EAA66D89A6.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 122
  • B6CAA61A-2BF3-485D-B2D5-356781B7E5E1.jpeg
    B6CAA61A-2BF3-485D-B2D5-356781B7E5E1.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 83

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I recently got my first beardie and I wasn’t sure the exact species he is. The store had him labeled as “Assorted Uncommon”. Would anybody be able to identify it for me?
He looks like a regular bearded dragon-- store? Pet smart or Petco? I see only a stick on for temp gauge - can you please go over your surface basking temps--how are you getting them and your uvb please-- coil or tube?

Chasebankz

Original Poster
Got him at Petco.

I have a hygrometer on the other side that as we speak is reading 38% and temp reading 95°. I’m currently using the Reptisun 5.0 Coil UVB with basking 100w bulb

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
First thing , can you post a close up pic of his feet. I can't tell for sure but his nails look clear if they are all clear with no black stripe he is a hypo.
Second and more important those coil uvb bulbs are garbage. Please get rid of it and get a long tube. The t5 bulbs are better than the t8 get a 10.0 or 12%. This is going to be the most critical part of keeping him healthy followed by basking temp.
If you don't get the uvb correct he will not thrive, he will stop eating and he will develop metabolic bone disease. Also if you don't Get his basking temp right he won't digest his food. I would shoot for 100 through 110 degrees for a baby. Give him a gradient. For measuring temp pick up a digital probe type from perco, petsmart, or any reptile store, they are only like 10 bucks. If you have any questions please ask , never guess. Everybody here are happy to help you.
Oh and congratzzz on your beardie. He is a cutie.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I was looking at your pics again, is that cedar he is on? If please remove it. Any conifer is toxic and cedar is the worst.

Chasebankz

Original Poster
First thing , can you post a close up pic of his feet. I can't tell for sure but his nails look clear if they are all clear with no black stripe he is a hypo.
Second and more important those coil uvb bulbs are garbage. Please get rid of it and get a long tube. The t5 bulbs are better than the t8 get a 10.0 or 12%. This is going to be the most critical part of keeping him healthy followed by basking temp.
If you don't get the uvb correct he will not thrive, he will stop eating and he will develop metabolic bone disease. Also if you don't Get his basking temp right he won't digest his food. I would shoot for 100 through 110 degrees for a baby. Give him a gradient. For measuring temp pick up a digital probe type from perco, petsmart, or any reptile store, they are only like 10 bucks. If you have any questions please ask , never guess. Everybody here are happy to help you.
Awesome thanks for the heads up. Now looking at it, it’s not a coil uvb bulb. I thought it was. I literally just bought the digital thermometer and hygrometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Awesome thanks for the heads up. Now looking at it, it’s not a coil uvb bulb. I thought it was. I literally just bought the digital thermometer and hygrometer.
What are you using for the UVB? these bulbs have certain placement and distance for them depending on the screen

Chasebankz

Original Poster
What are you using for the UVB? these bulbs have certain placement and distance for them depending on the screen
I have a 20 gal tank (for now). Reptisun 5.0 uvb (not a coil). Should it suffice for now for only being a smaller tank? Or should I just stick to the tube?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a 20 gal tank (for now). Reptisun 5.0 uvb (not a coil). Should it suffice for now for only being a smaller tank? Or should I just stick to the tube?
The 5.0 is good for your 20 gallon --- please make sure its not obstructed w/ the screen they cannot go thru screen and a piece of basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches - for reference here is a pic of my 20 gallon set up when Blaze was around 2-3 months old - the UVB is vertical on the tank and is a T8 which is similar to your 5.0 and the basking bulb is clamped on the end i think it was a 75 watt - dont mind the light hanging it is a heat emitter used once or twice after I got him - make sure your using digital probe thermometers for accurate temps - I had them just not in the tank at the time pic was taken - I also used a IR gun but the digital probes are the best

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 66

Chasebankz

Original Poster
The 5.0 is good for your 20 gallon --- please make sure its not obstructed w/ the screen they cannot go thru screen and a piece of basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches - for reference here is a pic of my 20 gallon set up when Blaze was around 2-3 months old - the UVB is vertical on the tank and is a T8 which is similar to your 5.0 and the basking bulb is clamped on the end i think it was a 75 watt - dont mind the light hanging it is a heat emitter used once or twice after I got him - make sure your using digital probe thermometers for accurate temps - I had them just not in the tank at the time pic was taken - I also used a IR gun but the digital probes are the best
So how exactly are you suppose to put the basking light if it can go through the screen? Is there a certain DIY method owners use?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So how exactly are you suppose to put the basking light if it can go through the screen? Is there a certain DIY method owners use?
The UVB needs to be unobstructed not the basking light - the basking light can sit on the screen its the UVB bulb that needs to be unobstructed - you can place the screen half way or 3/4 on the tank w/ the UVB at the end of the tank going vertical and the screen butted up to the UVB fixture w/ the basking bulb sitting on the screen - then you will have the basking area all in one place --

Chasebankz

Original Poster
The UVB needs to be unobstructed not the basking light - the basking light can sit on the screen its the UVB bulb that needs to be unobstructed - you can place the screen half way or 3/4 on the tank w/ the UVB at the end of the tank going vertical and the screen butted up to the UVB fixture w/ the basking bulb sitting on the screen - then you will have the basking area all in one place --
Would you mind taking a picture of the UVB and screen placement so I can get an idea. I’m going to the store today and grabbing the fixture and another bulb. Plus, I need to get rid of this Walnut shell apparently

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Would you mind taking a picture of the UVB and screen placement so I can get an idea. I’m going to the store today and grabbing the fixture and another bulb. Plus, I need to get rid of this Walnut shell apparently
I posted my 20 gallon tank up above --- on the tank of mine there was no screen I took it off -- and yes please get rid of the walnut shell - it is toxic to dragons --- paper towels would be good for now --- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store cut to the size of the tank and clean w/ a vinegar/ water solution 50/50 --

Chasebankz

Original Poster
So updated setup. 40 gal with Reptisun T8 20”. Reptisun 10.0 UVB, Hammock, got rid of the Walnut shell and used the rep carpet. IR gun, I also have 2 digital thermometers coming tomorrow.

Still trying to figure out a way to get the UVB off the net without taking the entire tank screen off.

Attachments

• AAB7D9CA-A7A6-46DA-A1A7-1343D901617F.jpeg
    AAB7D9CA-A7A6-46DA-A1A7-1343D901617F.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 72

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom