New Beardie Owner-He won't let me pet him :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniboo18

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any advice? I'm a first time beardie owner (his name is Dakota) and I've had him for just over 3 weeks and I'm trying to bond with him but he won't really let me touch him, Ive had no issues with tong feeding and hand feeding him (today he even walked up and sat in my hand and ate from my palm but the second I try to pet him or pick him up he freaks out and runs off. I don't want to stress him out, I want to know if there's anything else I can do or do better. I asked on Reddit and someone suggested I just put my hand in the tank for about 20mins every few hours and let him come to me but most of the time he's basking on his rock and doesn't really come to me. I work 8hrs a day so I really can only bond in the AM or once I get home from work for a little bit and on weekends.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Best time is when they are tired and ready to go to bed --- approach from the side not above he will think your a predator --- keep hand feeding him and try and hold him in the tank for 5 minutes at a time -- get a piece of clothing or a little blanket w/ your smell on it place it in his hide he will get used to your smell -- just keep working w / him it took me months to get Blaze hand tamed and to be able to hold him --- some dragons take longer some do not -- depends on their personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom