New beardie mom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so its actually my son's beardie, but....

We are completely new to the reptile world (only pets we've ever had are cats and a goldfish!), so this has been quite a learning experience so far, with surely more to come as we've only had this one since yesterday.

We picked this one up at Petco yesterday, after spending several weeks reading up on care/setup, and then taking a few days to get the enclosure set up with the right temps and lamps and lots of the wrong things that I'm hoping can be returned (ka-ching! $$). Not sure how old he/she is (or if he or she!), the guy at the store said 5-6 months, but he also sold my husband calci-sand and too-big crickets and tried to sell us mealworms, so not sure I trust him... :? I haven't measured, but s/he looks maybe 10 inches long....does that sound like 5-6 months old? And what is considered "baby" vs. "juvenile"?

S/he is tan with bright orange marks...a beauty! No name yet.... Here's a pic:

Started with 60 crickets from the pet store ($!), many of which are too big, so I've been hand-picking the smaller ones. I have had to get over my crazy-intense fear of crickets very very quickly.... I still use a giant glove and sometimes scream when I grab the crickets, ha ha! S/he ate crickets and pooped within an hour of being in the tank, so hopefully all's well. :) I need to find a good source of cheap healthy crickets, though, because we're going through them fast. S/he ate 8 for dinner last night, and 7 for breakfast this morning. S/he also likes mustard greens, yellow squash, collard greens, red bell pepper, especially when my son hand-feeds those (spoiled, much!).

How does this setup sound, below? So paranoid as a new mommy...

40-gallon glass tank (yay for Petco's dollar-per-gallon sale!)
Repticarpet - the felt kind (hopefully won't snag his toes) on part of the floor and paper towels on the rest (bought the wrong size carpet, duh). Already considering how on earth to clean the carpet when it gets pooped on - may just switch to paper towels or newspaper, or tile?
A hollow half-log with a driftwood log leaned over it to make a basking spot.
A hammock on the glass on the cool end of the enclosure.
Food dish
As for lights:
Got the reptisun 10.0 mounted inside along the center back wall of the tank. Its the 24" and the tank is 36" long.
First had a 100w basking light (exo-terra "intense basking" spotlight) but it didn't seem to get the basking spot warm enough (mid-90s) so I swapped to a 150-watt, and I fear its verging on too hot - have the zoomed reptitemp digital IR thermometer, and yesterday the basking spot was between 105 and 120 (though I could only get the 120 to show once, mostly was 105-115). That's another question - if the beardie was too hot, wouldn't s/he climb down off the hottest area? Or will they cook themselves?! S/he gapes a lot up there, so I don't know. I might try putting the 100-watt back in there instead.
On the cool side it seemed too cool with no light (70s), so I added a flukers daylight 75w bulb on that end and that brought temp to low 80s, but then 90s in the afternoon so I turned it off. Ack, controlling the temps through the day (we're not home during the day) is going to be a challenge!
For night, we turn our heat off at night and live on the central coast of CA so our house definitely can get below 65 at night...so I put a 60w CHE on last night right over the basking log, and s/he slept there all night. So funny how as soon as we turned the lights off, s/he laid down and eyelids got all droopy, and was still in the exact position sound asleep when we turned the lights on this morning. So still I thought s/he was dead! But s/he woke up fast and was eating right away. Quite the acrobat - jumping off the logs, leaping up onto the hammock and eating a cricket while hanging by front feet only, hilarious!

Questions....

-- A couple times I saw him/her rub the side of his face on the wood. Is that normal or a sign of anything bad?
--Should we have a water dish in the enclosure? I've heard mixed opinions on that. We've misted him a couple times and are spraying the salad with water, but haven't done any soak or bath yet. How often should we do a bath?
--One I asked above...if the beardie gets too hot atop the basking log, will he/she climb down? Is it better for the basking spot to be a little too cool or a little too warm if we have to err one way or the other?
--Anything else we should get/change from what I described? I also have calcium/d3 powder and figure we'll dust the crickets for the early evening feedings and then feed "plain" flavor (ha) crickets in the mornings. Does that sound ok? Is it possible to feed him too many crickets? How about superworms? Can they have those (hubby bought some too). I'm not sure, since not sure of his age, whether he should be eating more protein or more veggies.

Oy, sooo many questions....so grateful to this site and forums, its our new bible! :mrgreen:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I love the colors. Healthy looking dragon! Looks a bit older than most from Petco and based on the length I think 5 months is a decent guess. Premiumcrickets is a good source for bulk crickets. You'll need a big plastic bin with a mesh top or an old 10-20g tank with mesh top to house them. Paper towel and tp cardboard rolls are good to house them. Makes it easy to shake them out to dust them too. Repticarpet is good. You can even put it on top of tile and switch it out if the nails get a bit too long. It can be cleaned by soaking in vinegar/water mix and scrubbed a little. Then just let it air dry. Good to have two sets or put down paper towels in the meantime. 150w is a good sized lamp for a tank that size. Temps seem OK and they'll self regulate as needed. Just provide easy access to cooler parts of the tank. The hammock might be good as a basking area on the hot side as long as you can keep the temps on the hammock in the right range. You can set the log up as a ramp to get to the hammock. CHE can go on the cool side. Just give enough heat to keep the dragon above 65. A nighttime cooloff is good. Get your temps dialed in as much as you can and then just set them on timers.

Rubbing face on the wood is probably just a sign of being itchy and starting a shed. Normal. I always made water available in the tank and changed it every day but he never drank from it. They're all a bit different in that respect. I wouldn't mist him but give frequent baths. A few times a week at least is good. They tend to drink from the bath. Don't fee anything bigger than the spaces in their eyes and try to avoid anything with a hard shell to avoid impaction. As for feeding, provide as many crickets as he will eat within a few minutes and take the rest out so they don't bite. Keep a nice salad available all the time using the list on beautifuldragons as a guide. Cricket feeding once a day should be sufficient but test it out. Every dragon is a little different. With a little guy, plan on maybe 25 a day as a very rough average. Again they're all different so you'll need to experiment a bit and see what works best.

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
Welcome GrowingaBeard and NoName (hopefully you find one soon)!
Your little one is so cute! Can't wait to watch him/her grow and hear all about your adventures together! :)

GrowingaBeard

Original Poster
NoName has a name! "Blaze"

Definitely a shed starting. Gray tail, gray patches back of neck and back. We've done two baths so far (every other day), and he's not crazy about them, but at least he gets wet for a bit.

He's ho-hum about veggies - his boy has been hand-feeding him so he's getting spoiled and too lazy to go get the veggies himself, LOL. He eats some, just not a lot. Not sure how much he should be eating this young, anyway.

I ordered 500 1/2" crickets on a whim....I hate crickets, but Blaze loves them...will be a mad scramble tonight to build a suitable cricket house (got a clear sterlite tub with snap-on lid, a drill, a hot glue gun, and an old screen...hopefully I can fashion something). Only wish I could find egg cartons somewhere! All the ones I can find are styrofoam or plastic, darn it. We'll see how many of the crickets we can use before they die or get too big. I'd love to not have to deal with crickets, but the idea of roaches is too much....ew.

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
Blaze is a perfect name! Amazing colours!
And s/he is already so good at posing for the camera!
Greens don't become of interest until they're older, but always good to have them nearby in case s/he wants to munch. Their main source of food at this age is live feeders. Sounds like you're planning on breeding crickets? It'll save you a lot of money in the long run, but it's like taking care of another pet and takes a lot of work to keep them healthy. I haven't done it myself for that reason. Let me know how it works out for you, as I may consider it down the road...
A lot of people claim that breeding dubia roaches is much easier (and less stinky). I can't do roaches either; I'd rather stinky crickets, lol.
I would budget that 500 crix is about a week's worth of food for a dragon this age, but it all depends on how much s/he feels like eating. When Eri was young he averaged 50-80 crickets a day, and a lot of crickets died, too.
As for finding egg cartons, I get my friends and family to save them for me. Toilet paper and paper towel rolls, too. I cut those in half (toilet rolls) or thirds (towel rolls) to make them last longer. The eggs cartons can be cut into smaller pieces, too.
If you have a grocery store nearby, ask if you can take the purple cardboard that comes between the apples, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom