New Beardie, looks green. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
01F3089C-A171-4714-87D2-16919BB3F120.jpeg
4E41F0E8-5677-4F4C-9FA9-A968ABA098DC.jpeg

We got our juvenile right before Christmas and have been doing our best to learn all about how to be the best home for him. I have left him be and kept his home simple for now so he can find his crickets easily. I don’t allow the kids to handle him yet. I mist him twice a day. He has been eating and pooping fine. He started shedding last week and today I noticed his head appears discolored, greenish. Is this part of the shedding process or is he developing algae on his skin or is this something even worse? Any help for this new beardie family is appreciated!!

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
View attachment 66929 View attachment 66930
We got our juvenile right before Christmas and have been doing our best to learn all about how to be the best home for him. I have left him be and kept his home simple for now so he can find his crickets easily. I don’t allow the kids to handle him yet. I mist him twice a day. He has been eating and pooping fine. He started shedding last week and today I noticed his head appears discolored, greenish. Is this part of the shedding process or is he developing algae on his skin or is this something even worse? Any help for this new beardie family is appreciated!!
It’s not really green it’s more of a yellow color and it could be because of shedding and how it’s changing it’s color

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 66929 View attachment 66930
Probably shed coming on- are you only using the sticking to get temps? If so your basking temps are extremely important - you need to get 2 digital probe thermometers one for basking side you want surface temps take to he probe and place on be to he spot where he sits to bask 10 min then get the temp it should be 105-110- are you using a mvb ? What is in the other dome?

Kryssymarie

Original Poster
Probably shed coming on- are you only using the sticking to get temps? If so your basking temps are extremely important - you need to get 2 digital probe thermometers one for basking side you want surface temps take to he probe and place on be to he spot where he sits to bask 10 min then get the temp it should be 105-110- are you using a mvb ? What is in the other dome?
One is uva the other uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The coil uvb needs to be replaced ASAP -- please get one of these for a 40 + gallon tank a 24" Zoo Med comes w a 5.0 bulb please get a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb you can find these on www.pangeareptiles.com look under fixtures and T 5 bulbs- do this ASAP-- at this point your dragon is getting little to no uvb- your basking bulb is good as long as it's keeping temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- place the probe on the spot he sits for basking you want surface temps - 10 min then get the temp- the 13 watt bulb is a horrible uvb very inadequate- she will eventually quit eating she needs the uvb to absorb / synthesize her calcium - please post back on here when you get the uvb I will help you get it placed for your tank your screen will determine where the uvb goes

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
The coil uvb needs to be replaced ASAP -- please get one of these for a 40 + gallon tank a 24" Zoo Med comes w a 5.0 bulb please get a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb you can find these on www.pangeareptiles.com look under fixtures and T 5 bulbs- do this ASAP-- at this point your dragon is getting little to no uvb- your basking bulb is good as long as it's keeping temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- place the probe on the spot he sits for basking you want surface temps - 10 min then get the temp- the 13 watt bulb is a horrible uvb very inadequate- she will eventually quit eating she needs the uvb to absorb / synthesize her calcium - please post back on here when you get the uvb I will help you get it placed for your tank your screen will determine where the uvb goes
What’s wrong with a coil lamp I have one and t has been approved by pet shops and a popular good reptile center in australai

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What’s wrong with a coil lamp I have one and t has been approved by pet shops and a popular good reptile center in australai

Please read this​

Kryssymarie

Original Poster
It’s only in a 20 gallon tank for now. They told me that was good enough for 4-6 months. So won’t those bulbs you recommended be too big/strong for that size?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s only in a 20 gallon tank for now. They told me that was good enough for 4-6 months. So won’t those bulbs you recommended be too big/strong for that size?
Not the 5.0 it's equivalent to a T 8 which is perfect for the 20 gallon the coil is a horrible bulb- please replace the coil - this is crucial to his health- he will quit eating w/ improper uvb- I will help you get it placed

Kryssymarie

Original Poster
Not the 5.0 it's equivalent to a T 8 which is perfect for the 20 gallon the coil is a horrible bulb- please replace the coil - this is crucial to his health- he will quit eating w/ improper uvb- I will help you get it placed
92EA1B42-90FA-479B-8672-498C2E7E8FA2.jpeg

Here is what I’ve been able to change today. Got the 40gallon, new light and all new interior. Is this better for my little guy?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I did switch for the 10. I will have to buy something to get it off the floor
Try used furniture stores a dresser w/ drawers works great for keeping their stuff in - ok so the screen on the 40 gallon is a wide hole type or a fine mesh like a screen door? Post a pic of it please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom