New Beardie - Hiding and Scratching

zazo

Hi All!!

I just got my first bearded dragon yesterday, the setup of the tank is all on point with Reptisun T5 10.0. UVB measured with Solarmeter 6.5r, basking temperature measured with a probe... When I put her in the tank for the first time, she went to her cave after a few minutes and started digging (the substrate is tile). today morning she stopped digging but she is still hiding in her cave. I tried hand feeding her but no luck. She is not eating and not basking. Is this okay?

I know they get relocation stress so should I be worried and how long do they usually stay like this?

Many thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi All!!

I just got my first bearded dragon yesterday, the setup of the tank is all on point with Reptisun T5 10.0. UVB measured with Solarmeter 6.5r, basking temperature measured with a probe... When I put her in the tank for the first time, she went to her cave after a few minutes and started digging (the substrate is tile). today morning she stopped digging but she is still hiding in her cave. I tried hand feeding her but no luck. She is not eating and not basking. Is this okay?

I know they get relocation stress so should I be worried and how long do they usually stay like this?

Many thanks!
Dragons will scratch to get a comfy place to sleep- so that is normal - how old is the dragon? Keep an eye on her it is also normal for the appetite to be off and not eat as much till she acclimates to her tank and surroundings- could be a week or so depending on the dragon

zazo

Original Poster
She is around 1 and a half years old. Good news I came home today and found her at her basking spot. She refuses to eat greens but when I offered her super worms she ate 4! She seems dehydrated as I can see her skin is wrinkled. Should I give her a bath?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She is around 1 and a half years old. Good news I came home today and found her at her basking spot. She refuses to eat greens but when I offered her super worms she ate 4! She seems dehydrated as I can see her skin is wrinkled. Should I give her a bath?
You can or drop water on her nose see if she will lick

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
The digging got to me too...My beardie is 6 months and still does it. It happens only before bed and I researched it as it occurs in the wild. Rocky literally scratches the tile then goes right to bed. I notice that he sleeps exposed but if I am not home, he will sleep where he is protected (near things or by his hide).

Now that you started the superworms, good luck with the greens. It's like candy to them! LOL I try the greens first thing in the am....hold out a little before giving in to the worms. Also try handfeeding the greens, that's how I get Rocky to eat them. Some people use bee pollen-
You can mix the bees and bugs but your beardie may pick around the greens.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom