New Beardie- Glass surfing already

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just took in a bearded dragon from a woman who wasn’t caring for her the best. I’ve never owned one before but I’ve always wanted one and I’ve done a lot of research, though I’m clearly still learning. Ciri (the beardie) is an almost 2 year old female.

I got her this afternoon and redid her enclosure. Her previous owner had her in a 40 gal, which is what she is in currently until I can get her upgrade. She was fine all day basking. I shut off her lamps at around 9 and she fell asleep on top of her log. She was sleeping soundly, then not too long after I laid down for bed, she started glass surfing. I checked the thermometer and it’s at 70F. What do you think the problem is?

Also a side question, I got her a 100W basking bulb because that’s what I read was ideal for a 40 gal. However, the thermometer on the basking side, right above her hammock, was reading only about 85F. Should I get a higher wattage? I was afraid of burning her. The heat lamp is situated on top of the enclosure screen.

Edit: I just read some of the care sheets on here and saw that I should not be using the dial stick thermometers. Perhaps that is my problem with the temp. Will look into getting a temp gun or digital thermometer instead. Any other advice for this brand new beardie owner is appreciated :)

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
CiriTheBeardie":ljqwsakv said:
So I just took in a bearded dragon from a woman who wasn’t caring for her the best. I’ve never owned one before but I’ve always wanted one and I’ve done a lot of research, though I’m clearly still learning. Ciri (the beardie) is an almost 2 year old female.

I got her this afternoon and redid her enclosure. Her previous owner had her in a 40 gal, which is what she is in currently until I can get her upgrade. She was fine all day basking. I shut off her lamps at around 9 and she fell asleep on top of her log. She was sleeping soundly, then not too long after I laid down for bed, she started glass surfing. I checked the thermometer and it’s at 70F. What do you think the problem is?

Also a side question, I got her a 100W basking bulb because that’s what I read was ideal for a 40 gal. However, the thermometer on the basking side, right above her hammock, was reading only about 85F. Should I get a higher wattage? I was afraid of burning her. The heat lamp is situated on top of the enclosure screen.

Edit: I just read some of the care sheets on here and saw that I should not be using the dial stick thermometers. Perhaps that is my problem with the temp. Will look into getting a temp gun or digital thermometer instead. Any other advice for this brand new beardie owner is appreciated :)
You need to get a tempature gun. They cost like 10-15 $dollars online or at hardware stores you can point it at wherever u want to get a accurate temperature not just ambient tempature you should have a hygrometer to tell what your humidity if not already. He could be freaking out from you taking out Decoration as simple as a rock.
You really want to make sure they are on a good eating schedule and everything before anything else you can never have enough research even when your beardie is thriving you can always improve upon what your doin never get stuck with the same mindset always research for better

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So do you have a colored bulb in that tank? If so get rid of it-- that is the only thing I can think of for her to be glass surfing at nite after lights are off - they usually settle down and dont move - temps at nite should not be below 65 and it sounds like that is good --- basking temps should be 95-110 taken w/ a heat gun and digital probe as mentioned above --- what are you using for a UVB? tube or coil tell us what brand and bulb please
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
CiriTheBeardie":6mlo9dds said:
No idea--only guesses/suspicions.
  • Relocation stress? New home outside her enclosure, and you mention "redoing" it(?) Not sure what that means exactly.
  • Karrie asked about a nite-lite; any kind is not good. Mine wakes up with as little as a flashlight.
  • Noise/vibration?
  • Bad dream? I recently learned BDs may experience deep sleep & dreams--more unexpected data about reptiles.
It's relative. My enclosure is over 150 gal., and is heated to 80°-90°F by one 75W incandescent flood.
Insulating the back, sides, and part of the top of a glass tank w/ ½" rigid foam insulation or multiple layers of corrugate board can conserve enormous amounts of heat loss. It also depends on the ambient temp of the house or room where the enclosure is located.

Temp guns are ok for surfaces (caveat: emissivity of the surface needs to be taken into account); digital thermometers w/ probes are better for ambient air, and for surfaces by direct contact of probe.

CiriTheBeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2sc2jxux said:
So do you have a colored bulb in that tank? If so get rid of it-- that is the only thing I can think of for her to be glass surfing at nite after lights are off - they usually settle down and dont move - temps at nite should not be below 65 and it sounds like that is good --- basking temps should be 95-110 taken w/ a heat gun and digital probe as mentioned above --- what are you using for a UVB? tube or coil tell us what brand and bulb please
Karrie

I don’t have any colored bulbs. Once I shut off her lamps, that’s it. No night lights at all. There was a small glow from the little light up sensor on my tv (idk how to explain it) so I did cover it, didn’t seem to help at all.

I just went out and bought a temp gun and I now know her basking side needs to be a little hotter. I’m currently using the Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 100W. Should I go up in wattage? Different bulb/brand? It’s in a Fluker Clamp Lamp 8.5”.

Her previous owner did not provide her with UVB at all so I quickly went out and bought the Zoo Med Desert UVB lamp + coil bulb. I now know that these are not good! I will be using the Reptisun tube in a fluorescent fixture inside the tank once it gets here on Monday.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes try going up to 150 make sure you get a temp tho --- or you can try moving basking decor higher - its up to you --- you dont want to burn her tho -- and good on getting the tube Reptisun - what did you get the T 5 or a T 8 - they have certain distances for bulbs -
Karrie

CiriTheBeardie

Original Poster
The lamp has a dimmer so maybe I can use that function if the 150W is a little too hot? I got the T5 HO, is that appropriate for inside the 40 gal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes distance should be 12-15 inches no cover over the bulb you want it exposed
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom