New beardie Dad and completely freaking out….

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Yeah, don't listen to pet shops. Most of those people don't have any firsthand knowledge about keeping beardies as pets and only regurgitate what they're trained to say.

That being said, welcome to what I think is the best resource for beardie care! I've only been here a few month, and already I'm less anxious and less worried about if I'm doing something wrong.

I didn't read everyone's replies, but I do believe that at 10 months old, she should still be eating 75% bugs and 25% greens, so don't worry too much about her not eating all the greens you think she should be. Once they're mature, those percentages flip, and she should eat more greens than bugs, but the bugs are what are going to help her gain weight and size, so load her up with as many as she wants! She's not going to explode, she knows when she's had enough.

And get used to poop talk, because that's literally the main topic around here. That, and your light setup. But those are the most important things to take into consideration if something is actually wrong. I was away for work for 3 months, and any time my mom texted to tell me how all my boys (I have three cats too) were doing, I always asked what his poop looked like!

Chieftoad

Original Poster
Yeah, don't listen to pet shops. Most of those people don't have any firsthand knowledge about keeping beardies as pets and only regurgitate what they're trained to say.

That being said, welcome to what I think is the best resource for beardie care! I've only been here a few month, and already I'm less anxious and less worried about if I'm doing something wrong.

I didn't read everyone's replies, but I do believe that at 10 months old, she should still be eating 75% bugs and 25% greens, so don't worry too much about her not eating all the greens you think she should be. Once they're mature, those percentages flip, and she should eat more greens than bugs, but the bugs are what are going to help her gain weight and size, so load her up with as many as she wants! She's not going to explode, she knows when she's had enough.

And get used to poop talk, because that's literally the main topic around here. That, and your light setup. But those are the most important things to take into consideration if something is actually wrong. I was away for work for 3 months, and any time my mom texted to tell me how all my boys (I have three cats too) were doing, I always asked what his poop looked like!
We recently found out she really likes collard greens as long as they are pieces and not like turned into purée salad. Her poop is my next worry. Our area is on a big shortage and anything we have ordered or tried to order is low stock as well. We picked up some super worms, because she doesn’t like crickets and like I said we can’t get any more silks or dubias until Monday. But then I did that thing where I started researching super worms and how they can cause compaction in younger beardies. We aren’t sure how old she is but she’s 14” long, and we’ve been following the space between the eyes rule. Half of what I read says that it’s a myth, but she’s taking awhile to poop since she ate the ones we gave her, so my lack of experience is making me paranoid. We are trying dandelion greens today and we got her some organic raspberries because I heard they go nuts for them. Just trying to figure out how often she’s allowed a treat. Thanks for the reply!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She can handle superworms alright but not in large amounts. How many have you been giving her ? It's true that they can cause a degree of constipation but that's normal when almost any beardies eat them. Just make sure her temps. are proper for digestion and that she eats those greens and gets water if she'll drink.

Chieftoad

Original Poster
She can handle superworms alright but not in large amounts. How many have you been giving her ? It's true that they can cause a degree of constipation but that's normal when almost any beardies eat them. Just make sure her temps. are proper for digestion and that she eats those greens and gets water if she'll drink.
She had like 5 at one point. Before that I would only give her like one a day if she’s been picky with food. We are still waiting for her long light to get here. Hopefully by Monday. The multi use basking bulb/ basking spot is 101-103degrees the closer part to the light is in the low 80s, but the far side is like 68-71. Can you link me to a thread about lights and temps? We also need a light for at night, but half of what I read says no night lights, the rest fight about black and red lights… like I said unfortunately she wasn’t being cared for very well. But we are changing that as fast as we can. We ordered a 24” 12% hooded light by Arcadia. The dang thing just needs to get here… she’s still eating less than before, but regularly. We’ve been giving her dubias, and greens at the moment with the occasional super worm or two, a horn worm as a treat. Today we had a raspberry. She also has a quartered blue berry on occasion. We let he eat until she refuses and 10-15 minutes at a time 3 times a day. So it’s been like.

Meal 1: cricket, two dubias medium, four small pieces of collard greens.

Meal 2: no greens 1 dubia, 1 super worm (obviously wasn’t too hungry)

Got home after running errands 4 hours later
Had 3 dubias 1 raspberry, 2 small pieces of greens.

I feel like she’s not eating enough, but considering she’s not a baby and the older they get the less they eat?

Anywho, I really appreciate all of your help these last few days!

-Dustin

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The diet sounds O.K, she's still settling in so a certain amount of stress is likely to diminish her appetite. She should be eating a little more but not many superworms. Her body structure + weight look fine though and she has quite a bit more growing to do. There's never a need for a night light, only a ceramic heat emitter if your temps. go below 66 F. The basking area temps. you have are good, the cool side of her tank should be warmer, about 75-80. What type of all in one heat bulb do you have ? Here are links to proper lighting + heating :

Chieftoad

Original Poster
The diet sounds O.K, she's still settling in so a certain amount of stress is likely to diminish her appetite. She should be eating a little more but not many superworms. Her body structure + weight look fine though and she has quite a bit more growing to do. There's never a need for a night light, only a ceramic heat emitter if your temps. go below 66 F. The basking area temps. you have are good, the cool side of her tank should be warmer, about 75-80. What type of all in one heat bulb do you have ? Here are links to proper lighting + heating :

It’s solar glo 125w uvb uva heat ans light. The other long light arrives in a few days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, sounds good. I've used the Solar glo before, it's O.K but best used with the long tube uvb like the one you're getting.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Hello all!

Well let me start off by saying my experience with animals is with dogs, but Leia here needed a home. Her original owner is having a baby and they need the space. So, being the animal lover I am, my wife and I became beardie parents. Now to say I research everything is an understatement. I have had her a week now, and every time I find an article, video, or ask a local shop owner questions, I immediately turn around, and someone has a completely different opinion. Not only have my assumed mistakes given me hellacious anxiety, but it also costs a ton of money. BTW I cannot find the profile area to list my setup, but I’m going to include what I can here;

She is tip to tail about 10” long.

Tank is 20”X36” we got it from her previous owner along with a ceramic basking bulb holder thing.

Mesh top

Basking light is propped up on a stand and is 125w multi purpose with uvb and reaches around 100 degrees on her basking log.

Also she has a basking log. One one side under the basking light. The other side has no light above it.

I am using this large larger sized moist wood chips for substrate. (Reccomended by the reptile shop).

She has a small salad dish
Small corner salad dish

1 fake cactus cave. Recently realized she can go inside of it, and once in there does not want to leave.

1 hammock thing.

Okay now the part I have anxiety over. Her diet…

THIS LITTLE GIRL WILL NOT EAT GREENS!

I’ve tried premade mixes with sweet potato and carrot to sweeten them, I’ve tried mango juice. Mushed, whole leaf bits, I’ve tried feeding her something live with it or immediately after she starts munching. I make wiggle, jiggle, sweet, savory, in a dish, on the floor, from a pair of tweezers….. the list is long but I’ve tried all the things. She just stares at me like I’m an insane person.

So she’s mostly eating crickets. I hate crickets… half of them die on the way home. I refuse to feed her dead stuff. I coat them in the dust stuff for good measure, but….. “from what I’ve read,” they really are kinda garbage low protein compared to other sources etc.

Did I mention she’s around 10mos old?

She’s 10 months old.

Anyways so I started searching for other sources. Dubia roaches were then purchased along with meal worms, silk worms, and a salad mix (mixed at the store, she thinks it’s beneath her or something..anyways). I then read that silks and dubias can be combined as staples. Problem is there are few stores near me, and they are having trouble keeping them in stock… many online sources seem to be having similar issues in bulk quantity. So I asked the dude at the store if she could have super worms. Shes still adolescent age but decent size. Immediately after I start finding videos about compaction, and if you feed them more than 3 they will explode! Immediately followed by “those people are smoothed brained, that’s a myth!”

So at this point I’m beyond confused. If I can staple silk worms at a reasonable cost I know she’ll eat them. Assuming I can get them.

She will eat 1-3 dubias a day that are like 3/4” (refuses to eat males).

Now she is snubbing crickets too. and the only thing she would eat were those super worms. Now I’m like cool she’s going to get compacted and feel like crap or die, because I can’t figure out how to feed a lizard…

I think she should be eating way more, but then I’m told not to give in and that maybe she needs to be a little hungry to get her more interested in greens…

I was still out there then I stopped at Walmart for a tub to bathe her in. Didn’t know that was a thing… considering they are desert animals, and people keep saying too much humidity or water can seriously hurt them…

She seems calm, when allowed she will adventure whether it’s out of fear or interest I still don’t know. She did well in her bath and I got a bottle to “mist” with. Although I’m not sure how often this should happen…

So I’m conclusion, I’ve over researched to the point I can’t tell my rear from my face, and all I want is to be a good parent to this little girl.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions etc. are desperately wanted. Obviously I want to make sure she has everything she needs, but I need help before I spend another $500 on figuring it all out.

Much love,

Dustin
I just want to say this was me in November LOL...My husband and I talked and talked and researched forever about bearded dragons, but just never got one. He decided it would be a nice surprise for me to get me one for Christmas...so he surprised me and my anxiety for the next 2 months was through the roof. While I researched so much, it is completely different when you finally have one. I was soo overwhelmed with information on lighting, feeding, enclosures, everything under the sun, you name it I was freaking out about. I bought stuff, then realized it was wrong, so returned stuff and bought the right stuff more than I care to admit. I am here to say, it will get easier and you will get more comfortable once you establish a routine, but I never imagined how much work these little lizards are LOL I know dogs, 100% know them...lizards are a whole entire world, but so much fun and I wouldn't trade him for the world. He is my lil man!

Chieftoad

Original Poster
O.K, sounds good. I've used the Solar glo before, it's O.K but best used with the long tube uvb like the one you're getting.
So our tube light came today 12 uvb uva Arcadia prot5 25w. Here is a photo. I wrote temps on it as well for her enclosure. The 80 to the right is on a log that’s inclined up to her basking spot.

Attachments

• 0733714D-1588-4BD4-94C1-7FAD2BFCA689.jpeg
    0733714D-1588-4BD4-94C1-7FAD2BFCA689.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 80

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., good that the light came in. Do you know the distance from where she sits ? I would add another log to replace the small one, something that is taller + has a good basking area. You can even find one outside and sterilize it in the oven for about an hour [ preheat ] at 250 degrees. It would also be good to add a second lower watt heat lamp to bump up the temps. on the cool side to about 80.

Chieftoad

Original Poster
O.K., good that the light came in. Do you know the distance from where she sits ? I would add another log to replace the small one, something that is taller + has a good basking area. You can even find one outside and sterilize it in the oven for about an hour [ preheat ] at 250 degrees. It would also be good to add a second lower watt heat lamp to bump up the temps. on the cool side to about 80.
It’s about 12” from the top of her basking spot on that darker ceramic log. She gapes there so I think she’s getting warm enough. I’ll see what I can find that would make for better climbing and height. Thank you for the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom