New beardie behaviour issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reza771

Hello everyone!

So finally I brought my beardy home after long research and preparation. Aswell I went to a breeder who has a very good reputation and went multiple times to choose between the beardies he had. Finally, I decided for one which behavior I liked from the first day and he is with me since last Saturday!

The reason I'm posting this thread is that after arrival he had only very few stress marks and would even eat from my hands and let me take him. I used to give him roaches and mealworms and he would take them easily. Yesterday, the second day, he only took one Dubai roach from me, nothing more.

The thing is, I was aware that you shouldn't interact with your new beardie in the first days but when I saw he was eating from my hand and because he is a bit older I thought he is already used to it. So since yesterday evening he is sitting on a branch in the corner of his enclosure and doing nothing (look picture). As well he has a lot of stress marks and in the morning he puffed his beard as well. I tried to offer him an Insekt using the tweezers from far away but he wouldn't even lick it.

Just want to know how I should continue from here on. I really want to expose him to the least stress possible!

Attachments

• IMG_20220228_114204.jpg
    IMG_20220228_114204.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 129

Reza771

Original Poster
I'm watching him and he's still in the same spot, occasionally closing his eyes like he's taking a nap.

Rly worrying me since he was so active at the breeder and upon arrival :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm watching him and he's still in the same spot, occasionally closing his eyes like he's taking a nap.

Rly worrying me since he was so active at the breeder and upon arrival :(
What is the surface basking temp under the lamp? I see a digital thermometer but it has no probe on it -- you want one w/ a probe for actual surface temps--- And are you using a MVB if so what brand? The lamp looks really close to the basking rock- they will go thru relocation stress so it can be that and its good your interacting w/ him now - hes eating will be off till he acclimates to the tank and his surroundings - but you want your basking temps and UVB in order for him to adjust --

Reza771

Original Poster
What is the surface basking temp under the lamp? I see a digital thermometer but it has no probe on it -- you want one w/ a probe for actual surface temps--- And are you using a MVB if so what brand? The lamp looks really close to the basking rock- they will go thru relocation stress so it can be that and its good your interacting w/ him now - hes eating will be off till he acclimates to the tank and his surroundings - but you want your basking temps and UVB in order for him to adjust --
It's a 160w mercury vapor bulb from the brand "hobby". I'm not sure about the basking temperature on the stone since I'm still getting a laser temperature measurer so I can find out. But we made sure the stone is 30 cm away from the bulb since the breeder told us to do so.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's a 160w mercury vapor bulb from the brand "hobby". I'm not sure about the basking temperature on the stone since I'm still getting a laser temperature measurer so I can find out. But we made sure the stone is 30 cm away from the bulb since the breeder told us to do so.
Ok I have never heard of the Hobby brand bulb- I do recommend tho a more notable brand of MVB most do not emit enough UVB so often it is recommended a long tube fixture like a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb or a Zoo Med w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- those are very good fixtures and bulbs and most recommended here on this forum along w/ the MegaRay or PowerSun MVB-- you want to cover your bases for UVB rays -- depending on the screen on your tank will determine where the UVB goes - is your tank at least 18" high?

Reza771

Original Poster
Ok I have never heard of the Hobby brand bulb- I do recommend tho a more notable brand of MVB most do not emit enough UVB so often it is recommended a long tube fixture like a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb or a Zoo Med w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- those are very good fixtures and bulbs and most recommended here on this forum along w/ the MegaRay or PowerSun MVB-- you want to cover your bases for UVB rays -- depending on the screen on your tank will determine where the UVB goes - is your tank at least 18" high?
Hobby is a reliable German brand. The breeder told me it is very good and like I said he is a very trusted breeder here, as well I researched about it and looked up reviews. My tank is 23 inches high and there are plenty spots with different distances to the bulb if my beardy gets too hot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hobby is a reliable German brand. The breeder told me it is very good and like I said he is a very trusted breeder here, as well I researched about it and looked up reviews. My tank is 23 inches high and there are plenty spots with different distances to the bulb if my beardy gets too hot.
OK I do recommend another UVB source tho- and please get a reading on the surface rock from a digital probe thermometer - w/ him sitting off to the side it tells me the rock may be too hot

Reza771

Original Poster
OK I do recommend another UVB source tho- and please get a reading on the surface rock from a digital probe thermometer - w/ him sitting off to the side it tells me the rock may be too hot
Ok there is some good news, I just managed to feed him and he ate three mealworms and two Dubai roaches. Aswell I dropped some water drops on his mouth and he started drinking. The stress marks became a lot less now!

I'm ordering the thermometer right now. Regarding the stone, he only sat once in the corner on the tree branch. Most times he basks on the stone and right now he is on it as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20220228_163236.jpg
    IMG_20220228_163236.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 101

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok there is some good news, I just managed to feed him and he ate three mealworms and two Dubai roaches. Aswell I dropped some water drops on his mouth and he started drinking. The stress marks became a lot less now!

I'm ordering the thermometer right now. Regarding the stone, he only sat once in the corner on the tree branch. Most times he basks on the stone and right now he is on it as well.
Ok that is good please get a reading on his rock

Reza771

Original Poster
Ok that is good please get a reading on his rock
Hey, I hope you're still around. I received my laser measurement thing yesterday and measured the basking spot temperature on the rock after turning on the lights for three hours. It was 91F. From what I read that is in the safe zone right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hey, I hope you're still around. I received my laser measurement thing yesterday and measured the basking spot temperature on the rock after turning on the lights for three hours. It was 91F. From what I read that is in the safe zone right?
If its your basking hot side no I would get your temp up to 95-100- are you still using the MVB?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Going back to your original concerns it’s normal for them to go through some relocation stress even though he was super friendly and trusting at first. My guy did the same thing and after a while he warmed back up I would just give him time and get him used to a routine and used to you leaving food in a bowl for now and picking up poop etc and used to your hands being in the enclosure and he’ll get used to you and know your the bringer of food and treats. Maybe get some treat worms like silk worms or super worms and leave a couple in a small dish for him a couple times a day just like 1or2. Just give him time and he’ll come around I promise.

Reza771

Original Poster
If its your basking hot side no I would get your temp up to 95-100- are you still using the MVB?
Yeah I´m still using the MVB. I measured again after couple more hours and the temperature on the rock went up to almost 97F. Hopefully thats OK :)
Going back to your original concerns it’s normal for them to go through some relocation stress even though he was super friendly and trusting at first. My guy did the same thing and after a while he warmed back up I would just give him time and get him used to a routine and used to you leaving food in a bowl for now and picking up poop etc and used to your hands being in the enclosure and he’ll get used to you and know your the bringer of food and treats. Maybe get some treat worms like silk worms or super worms and leave a couple in a small dish for him a couple times a day just like 1or2. Just give him time and he’ll come around I promise.
Yeah, it is way better now :). He eats regularly, although I don't know if he eats enough, he will eat between 5-10 Bugs a day (Dubias, crickets...). Some of these Bugs he will eat from my hand, usually once or twice a day, otherwise, I let them go and he chases after them. I also gave him a bath a couple of days ago and he seemed to enjoy it, he was like cleaning himself up with his feet and making funny moves in the water. He also doesn't seem scared anymore. Maybe he will start eating more over time.

The thing is that he was cohabited and I saw some dragons with the breeder that hatched the same month he hatched but were way bigger than him. I really want him to eat a lot so he can grow properly.

The thing I´m aiming for now is to get him as comfortable as possible and then try to introduce him to salads, what's going to be a challenge since the breeder never gives them salad. I once even tried and he would not touch it. Wish me luck ;)

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
That’s ok don’t worry about him being small my dragon was the runt to and now he’s huge! If you want to hedge your bet on making him grow try feeding him 2/3 times a day. 97 is fine for your basking area and I’ve used MVB’s for years there good bulbs just make sure you follow distance recommendations for your 160 watt bulb most I’ve seen need about 18 inches up from the basking surface. If he continues to avoid the basking area it’s a pretty good indicator of too high of Uvb and you may want to raise it up higher and add a second fixture and run a normal incandescent bulb right next to the MVB to boost temperatures up to the 95-100 range.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That’s ok don’t worry about him being small my dragon was the runt to and now he’s huge! If you want to hedge your bet on making him grow try feeding him 2/3 times a day. 97 is fine for your basking area and I’ve used MVB’s for years there good bulbs just make sure you follow distance recommendations for your 160 watt bulb most I’ve seen need about 18 inches up from the basking surface. If he continues to avoid the basking area it’s a pretty good indicator of too high of Uvb and you may want to raise it up higher and add a second fixture and run a normal incandescent bulb right next to the MVB to boost temperatures up to the 95-100 range.
Please start w/ salads now- the older he gets the less likely he will eat- dragons grow at their own rate but you want him eating a balanced diet - staple insect salads and worms- and yes 97 is good for temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom