NEW Beardie - A Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaigeMe

Hi! I just got a Beardie. He's about 5 years old. I got his enclosure, too, but I had to clean out the sand and put tile down, which I did as soon as I got him. He's been hiding under his stone cave for about 3 days (eats only when put in front of him), so I took the cave out today. He is FINALLY out and about - exploring - even pooped! But I have a couple questions... 1) he's trying to eat - pops his tongue out, but he rarely is able to pull food into his mouth. Is this a concern? 2) His enclosure is quite big - all wood with plexiglass sliding doors on the front. The basking side is around 100, but the other side is only about 75. Do I need more light/heat? Using 2 UVB bulbs (24" Reptisun) plus a 150w ExoTerra Intense Basking Spot bulb.
He seems to be a darker color than when he was in his other home. Is this an indication of anything?
I just want him to be happy and healthy in our home. I hope you guys can shed some light for me - no pun intended! Thanks!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! I just got a Beardie. He's about 5 years old. I got his enclosure, too, but I had to clean out the sand and put tile down, which I did as soon as I got him. He's been hiding under his stone cave for about 3 days (eats only when put in front of him), so I took the cave out today. He is FINALLY out and about - exploring - even pooped! But I have a couple questions... 1) he's trying to eat - pops his tongue out, but he rarely is able to pull food into his mouth. Is this a concern? 2) His enclosure is quite big - all wood with plexiglass sliding doors on the front. The basking side is around 100, but the other side is only about 75. Do I need more light/heat? Using 2 UVB bulbs (24" Reptisun) plus a 150w ExoTerra Intense Basking Spot bulb.
He seems to be a darker color than when he was in his other home. Is this an indication of anything?
I just want him to be happy and healthy in our home. I hope you guys can shed some light for me - no pun intended! Thanks!!!
The UVB is where in the tank ? Top of screen or inside-- Is it a T 5 or a T 8? this is crucial --- basking temps need to be surface temps digital probe thermometer-- probe on the spot where he basks 95-100-- darker color could be he was cold -- they will darken to absorb the heat --- please put his cave back in his tank --- it is brumation season so for being 5 has he ever brumated before --- mine miss there insects but they do usually get them is this the case here ? what size tank is he in now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom