New Bearded dragon owner need help

BeardieFather04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Hi everyone I just got a baby bearded dragon about 5 days ago He lives in a 40 gallon tank enclosure with a 150w basking bulb and a Reptisun 10 T8 UVB bulb his basking spots are around 105-120 and humidity is under 40% I have aluminum foil on top of the tank to insulate the heat because my house gets really cold. But i’m worried because my beardie hasn’t eaten in 2 days and hasn’t drinking water since yesterday please help!

Attachments

• 86E1CAC5-07B7-48EF-8C41-F1DD59250BDA.jpeg
    86E1CAC5-07B7-48EF-8C41-F1DD59250BDA.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 89F601DF-032A-4E08-8CE6-1A439B3FAC61.jpeg
    89F601DF-032A-4E08-8CE6-1A439B3FAC61.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 59

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
120 it to hot, babies need 105-110(basking). They need a cool side in the low 80's the warm side ambient in the 90's. T8 uvb are not that strong, is it inside the habitat? It needs to be and he needs to be able to get within 6 to 8 inches of it. I would recommend swithing to a t5, they are just better bulbs.
Please make sure he isn't severely over heated, with 120 degree basking temps and the top closed off he may be to hot

BeardieFather04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
120 it to hot, babies need 105-110(basking). They need a cool side in the low 80's the warm side ambient in the 90's. T8 uvb are not that strong, is it inside the habitat? It needs to be and he needs to be able to get within 6 to 8 inches of it. I would recommend swithing to a t5, they are just better bulbs.
Please make sure he isn't severely over heated, with 120 degree basking temps and the top closed off he may be to hot
Hello thank you for the reply to answer your questions i have the uvb inside the tank and the heater is on top of the tank too he’s basking spit is 105 and cool side is 87 ish he opens his mouth when basking too and he hasn’t eaten since yesterday i’m very worried

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 59

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello thank you for the reply to answer your questions i have the uvb inside the tank and the heater is on top of the tank too he’s basking spit is 105 and cool side is 87 ish he opens his mouth when basking too and he hasn’t eaten since yesterday i’m very worried
I posted on your other thread so I am going to answer on this one--- with mouth open hes gaping which is good he adjusting his body temp --- how are you getting the surface basking temp? You want 2 digital probe thermometers --- place the probe where hes sitting 10 min or so get the temp 105-110 -- 120 is way too hot please take the foil off the top of the tank you want low 80's on the cool side --- the UVB needs to be directly over him back wall of the tank is not effective --- 6-8 inches directly above him -- as suggested a T 5 is better but the T 8 will work for now -- heater? Are you talking about the basking bulb or a CHE ceramic heat emitter ?

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Hello thank you for the reply to answer your questions i have the uvb inside the tank and the heater is on top of the tank too he’s basking spit is 105 and cool side is 87 ish he opens his mouth when basking too and he hasn’t eaten since yesterday i’m very worrie
It looks like there is some sort of film over the uvb in the picture. That might be stopping the light from doing its job.

As far as the rest listen to KarrieRae she's very knowledgeable with placement, and helped me and many others set things up correctly

*edit* is it perhaps a plastic film behind the light covering the reflector? If so that's meant to be removed. It will melt and fuse with the reflector. This happened to me, and I ended up needing a new reflector since it tore off the aluminum backing with it after being heated.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree with Axil, that looks like the zilla light fixture, if so those come with a plastic cover over the bulb, it needs to be removed, it blocks 100% of the uvb. For the life of me i can't understand why they put them on in the first place.

BeardieFather04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
It looks like there is some sort of film over the uvb in the picture. That might be stopping the light from doing its job.

As far as the rest listen to KarrieRae she's very knowledgeable with placement, and helped me and many others set things up correctly

*edit* is it perhaps a plastic film behind the light covering the reflector? If so that's meant to be removed. It will melt and fuse with the reflector. This happened to me, and I ended up needing a new reflector since it tore off the aluminum backing with it after being heated.
Hello sorry for the late response but yet i broke the plastic covering the light and behind the bulb is a piece of aluminum i replaced the bulb with a repti sun

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 53

BeardieFather04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I posted on your other thread so I am going to answer on this one--- with mouth open hes gaping which is good he adjusting his body temp --- how are you getting the surface basking temp? You want 2 digital probe thermometers --- place the probe where hes sitting 10 min or so get the temp 105-110 -- 120 is way too hot please take the foil off the top of the tank you want low 80's on the cool side --- the UVB needs to be directly over him back wall of the tank is not effective --- 6-8 inches directly above him -- as suggested a T 5 is better but the T 8 will work for now -- heater? Are you talking about the basking bulb or a CHE ceramic heat emitter ?
Hi okay so i’ll set the UVB in top of him and the bulb is a repti sun 150w basking bulb and i removed the foil his basking temp is now on 100 degrees im using a temp gun

BeardieFather04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Okay so he hasn’t eaten at all i put some crickets in there and he doesn’t eat them at all idk why he did this since yesterday and his poop come out with white and a hard lump

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Hello sorry for the late response but yet i broke the plastic covering the light and behind the bulb is a piece of aluminum i replaced the bulb with a repti sun
OK, and it's just aluminum, or is there a plastic film over top of the aluminum? Looks like there might be in the pic. You want the aluminum, don't take off, but you don't want any clear plastic over it

BeardieFather04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
OK, and it's just aluminum, or is there a plastic film over top of the aluminum? Looks like there might be in the pic. You want the aluminum, don't take off, but you don't want any clear plastic over it
No there isn’t anything cover the UVB fixture also is but bad if he closes his eyes while basking?

BeardieFather04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 42

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom