new bearded dragon-health problem or just relocation stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a week ago, I got a two year old dragon from a shelter and I'm starting to become worried about her. On the day I brought her home, she basked a lot and readily ate 5 dubia roaches and the butternut squash and collards out of her salad. Over the next few days, she didn't eat any salad, but still gobbled down any roach that appeared in front of her. Now, she seems reluctant to eat roaches too, and has spent a lot more time hiding. When I turn the lights on in the morning, she will stay in the place where she had been sleeping for hours with her eyes half open, and at around 4:30 pm will go to a sleeping spot and stay there until lights out(8:00). She has become darker and her stress marks have reappeared after vanishing on day 2. I have noticed that a bath helps temporarily; she will get lighter and be more interested in basking and eating(after a bath last night she ate some butternut squash), but it will wear off after a while and I will find her hiding again. I understand that the timeframe and behavior(not eating a lot, lethargy, hiding) suggest relocation stress, but she seems to be getting worse instead of better over time when I can't think of anything I've done recently that would increase her stress. Is this kind of a 'relapse' of stress normal, or do I need to take her to a vet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UVB and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank --- please go over the lighting- brand and bulb of UVB coil or tube - basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please-
She will go thru relocation stress where her eating will be off but the hiding is telling me something is off -- please post pics of the tank and lighting -- please no colored bulbs another reason to hide
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG a the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

epauletteshark

Original Poster
I have 34" reptisun 10.0 t5 tube bulb, and the basking temp is 105 with an IR gun.
Warm side temp is 85-90, middle is 80-83, and cool side is 77-80
109926-7132409969.jpg
109926-8882927675.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok great!! :) I am thinking she is trying to brumate -- if all is good w/ the lighting and temps and shes 2 years old and its the time of year where they brumate then I would say that is what shes doing --- I would get a weight on her now kitchen food scale weigh in grams keep track make sure shes hydrated -- how big is the tank? Sometimes if its too much UVB they will hide from that as well -- we need to rule all the lighting issues out before we can say it is brumation -- its a process of elimination for reasons
So I see the pics -- how far is the UVB from her basking spot? I would get another piece of basking decor under your UVB w/ a distance of 12-15 inches -- temps are all good
Karrie

epauletteshark

Original Poster
The t5 is kinda near the back of the tank and 12 inches from the basking rock. The tank is a 4x2x2.
You're probably right about the brumation, I was just confused because the lady who was fostering Beatrice didn't say anything about brumation and I think was trying to feed and bathe her normally.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep an eye on her --- she should sustain her weight or they can lose some during brumation but she should not lose a lot -- if she is then there is a issue-- I would get her out every couple of weeks if shes not coming out on her own - hydrate her and weigh her -- they should not brumate for longer than 3 months --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, everything in her life has changed so she is probably just reacting to that. If she's a good size then she's likely fine as Karrie mentioned and just doing what comes naturally. :)

epauletteshark

Original Poster
One more question, yesterday she ate one roach about ten minutes before making a big poop that probably would have otherwise emptied her intestines(WHY did I do that :banghead:) She hasn't basked or pooped since, and it seems like now she is heading into brumation. Do I need to somehow interrupt her brumation to get her to bask, digest and poop out that roach so it doesn't cause any problems? I've read that food sitting around in their digestive tracts during brumation can rot and make them very sick, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom