New Ball Python striking

Status
Not open for further replies.

015reddog

Hello,

I just bought a new ball python at a show in Detroit, Michigan yesterday. The guy said that it was around 2 to 2.5 months old. I asked when it ate last and he said Wednesday. So, I assumed that it would be ready to eat again this Wednesday. I was moving the water dish to the warm side of the cage and smoothing out the ring that it left in the substrate when kitty struck with lightning speed and gave me a pin prick on my middle finger. Is this a baby snake thing or is he just ready to eat again already? Do babies eat more frequently than adults? Or, is he just stressed from the show and being held too much before we let him chill in his new home? Any feedback left will be much appreciated. Thank You.

Sincerely,
Todd

irishanaconda

Juvie Member
baby snakes do eat more often. i would def get a ball python book and read up on them. if it struck at you its more likely a self defense bite but give it a rat pink to see if she will take. she might need a week or longer to settle in before she eats thou. here is a pic of my new girl
mojave001.jpg

015reddog

Original Poster
irishanaconda":e49cf said:
baby snakes do eat more often. i would def get a ball python book and read up on them. if it struck at you its more likely a self defense bite but give it a rat pink to see if she will take. she might need a week or longer to settle in before she eats thou. here is a pic of my new girl
mojave001.jpg

Thanks for the advice man. I went to the local pet shop and they didn't have any pinkies (mouse or rat), so I grabbed a small mouse. :( He nailed it and is now resting, nestled and comfy in his hide. I think you are right though about the strike being self defense. He was held for a while at the show yesterday and I think it stressed him out a little. Sure didn't stop him from scarfing that mouse though. :D Thanks Again.

Sincerely,
Todd

015reddog

Original Poster
Here is a pic of him. He sure is a grumpy scaredycat. He is very jumpy and strikes at the drop of a hat. He is eating well and gets rid of it well. Hasn't shed yet, but I'm sure that is coming. I have just never had a young one. The adults that I had when I was a kid were so docile. This is different. Are males any more aggressive than females?

100_2543.jpg

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
Hey There,
Males aren't more aggressive than females, but they are sometimes more active. You have to remember that in the wild ANYTHING will eat a baby snake and ball pythons aren't exactly legendary for their courage to begin with. He should calm down with some gentle handling.
God Bless,
Aaron

015reddog

Original Poster
PastorAaron":ad04c said:
Hey There,
Males aren't more aggressive than females, but they are sometimes more active. You have to remember that in the wild ANYTHING will eat a baby snake and ball pythons aren't exactly legendary for their courage to begin with. He should calm down with some gentle handling.
God Bless,
Aaron

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dog

015reddog

Original Poster
Just an update about our ball. His name is Kitty (because of the ceramic water bowl we got him with "Kitty" on it), but Kit for short. Sounds more like a boy :D . Anyway, with some patience and gentle handling he has calmed down. The thing is that he calmed down so much that he used the bathroom while I was holding him. Ewww! Has anyone else had this happen? It was weird. There were a couple solid parts and he seemed to have a lot of clear fluid like pee. Is that normal? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Dog

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
Poisons right, that's normal. I've had it happen with a few very large boas. Had to throw those pants out!
God Bless,
Aaron

015reddog

Original Poster
PastorAaron":18ad1 said:
Poisons right, that's normal. I've had it happen with a few very large boas. Had to throw those pants out!
God Bless,
Aaron

LOL!!! Sorry, but that is kinda funny. The only reason it is funny is that I know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks guys.

Sincerely,
Dog

shadi11

BD.org Addict
I was wondering if you knew who you got from at the show? I vendor at the show monthly and have some from a few of the breeders. I have a couple also that are very nippy.. they are also my best eaters and have grown well so far. So hows the snake doing now?

015reddog

Original Poster
shadi11":80205 said:
I was wondering if you knew who you got from at the show? I vendor at the show monthly and have some from a few of the breeders. I have a couple also that are very nippy.. they are also my best eaters and have grown well so far. So hows the snake doing now?

I'm not sure who the dealer was. That is something I probably should have made a note of or I should have gotten a card from them. At my local pet store they told me to feed him in a separate container so he didn't associate the screen top opening with "dinner." I think that, coupled with patience and "gentle handling," like PastorAaron recommended, has done the trick. Both of us are a lot more trusting with each other. He eats every time I offer except when I offer frozen/thawed. He won't eat them. I'm going to try to get to the November 8th show this weekend.

Sincerely,
Dog

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
our cornsnake pooped on me once or twice when we first got her, she would try hide in my clothing go still then yuk :puke:
then i got wise to it, with some help from people on here who explained that all the movement of handling can trigger/assist bowel movements,
i dealt with this by checking for telltale bulges near her vent area and if she looked due to go, i got out her pillow case (an old one with a hole in it)
let her explore and hide in it and do her buisness then i could handle her without the worry of being pooped on, i also tend to know now when she's pooped as she has a routine and i spot check her tank to clean it out relatively promptly

poor PastorAaron it was bad enough being pooped on by a baby cornsnake, not suprised you had to bin the pants

are you going to continue to occassionally trying to get him to eat frozen/thawed, was it nice and warm, do you have tongs? giving it a bit of a wiggle can help, have heard that dipping mice in chicken broth can help (not tried this one) or cutting a small incision in the mouses belly can also get their interest (i know it sound gross)

someone with more experience may be able to make more suggestions, we've not exactly had much difficulty getting our little rubbish disposal to eat

you can feed in tank without them associating you with food, I believe PastorAaron feeds some of his snakes in large tote bags, i only mention this because of the tendancy of balls to be picky eaters, but if he is happy feeding outside the tank the you may be one of the luck ones you may have found yorself an unfussy ball (touch wood, don't wana jinx u), we feed in a tub outside the tank because Noodle has aspen in her tank & don't want to her to accidentally ingest some its never seem to bother her at all.

sorry i seem to be rambling today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom