New baby- what can I expect in the first week?

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
My new baby beardie was delivered last Friday about 10:30am West coast time. (California) I haven’t seen him eat a whole lot but I keep offering salad and bugs daily. He has pooped twice so far but he’s not super active right now. I notice him hanging out in the same spot for a good part of the day and closing his eyes. This is my first beardie and just curious if that’s normal behavior while they get acclimated to their new home? I included a photo of his setup for reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 85
  • B288A01F-4992-4BC3-8C2C-E8F7D163A1DB.jpeg
    B288A01F-4992-4BC3-8C2C-E8F7D163A1DB.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 57

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Your setup looks good but the uvb looks a bit high, what is the distance from surface to bulb, and what bulb are you using?
Also if possible its beter to overlap the uvb and basking so they don't have to chose one or the other. Beyond that yes it's normal for them to act like that.
You have to remember they are brand new to the world and everything us new to them, it takes a little while for them to become self assured, and to feel secure. Have patience, it's worth it. Once they trust you and bond with you they are incredible pets.

Mushu_the_dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Your setup looks good but the uvb looks a bit high, what is the distance from surface to bulb, and what bulb are you using?
Also if possible its beter to overlap the uvb and basking so they don't have to chose one or the other. Beyond that yes it's normal for them to act like that.
You have to remember they are brand new to the world and everything us new to them, it takes a little while for them to become self assured, and to feel secure. Have patience, it's worth it. Once they trust you and bond with you they are incredible pets.
Thank you so much for your reassurance! I am using the zoo med 24 inch T5 high output 10.0 UVB light and it is 13.5 inches away from the highest point on his enclosure decor beneath that light. I’ll move his basking light right by the UVB to ensure gets both when he’s under there. Still learning a lot and going through trial and error to get it all right for him. I’ve done a lot of research on them and they seem to have the best personalities. I’m excited for him to feel more comfortable so we can start handling him and building that trust/bond. 🥰

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Oh they are a hoot, they have personality for days. You are in for one of the most rewarding pets you could get.(also one of the most vexing to!!! But i don't want to scare ya lol) (besides personality they have attitude for days to) 😉

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom