New baby something’s wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayayo

I got a bearded dragon and I read best not to go to a pet shop. I found someone online selling them an hr away and I made the trip. I still did my best to pick the best dragon in the bunch. Tbh there tank set up was not up to par as far as what I’ve read on them as this is my first and I’ve been looking into them and setting up for months. Since about August. I have a 55g aquarium for now screen top. 100w basking bulb as my temps were to low with a 75w. 46in Arcadia T5 HO+D3 plus full spectrum grow light 24in on cool side for plants. (I only have 1 in there at the moment) a hide and some wood for basking)

I got him (idk if it’s boy or girl) home and the baby just seem stressed so I left them alone most of night 1. Day 2 he seemed to not move much at all and I noticed when he slept he would burrow into the substrate again not moving much. Since my tank is bio active I have chosen to only feed greens inside my tank and I take him out and put him in a “feeding bin” to eat with plenty of room. First few days he didn’t eat much. I did try meal worms BSFL only thing he took was the 2 hornworm I got for a treat. I got dubia and he ate those down and he will eat his veggies I spray with water. He was in shed so I have baths until his shed was off but after day 2 I noticed his tail was discolored I read watched videos and figured it was tail rot it was about 1cm long. I started doing bedadine soaks with Neosporin after I applied the neo it seemed the next day it was black and hard asap but the color wasn’t going up the tail so I figured that was a good sign after 3 days soaking the tip came off while he was on my bed while I was setting up his food bin. It bled a second after the second wipe no blood was present. He’s pooping peeing okay issue is he’s only eating about 5 dubia a day I kno that isn’t right. With his greens he is eating as well. He drinks If I give him water with his spray bottle. After the tip came off he was sooooo active running back and forth following anyone that walked past his tank watching us all. My issue is since yesterday he seems sleepy and tired I took him out to eat and all times he had stress marks which he hasn’t had since the day I took him home. He’s again not sleeping out on anything but staying buried in the substrate on the cool side. Lights come on at 8am and I let him be until around 11:30am I took him out to look him over. He didn’t wanna be held it seemed I put him back he jumped off my hand which was at level of ground and laid down as if scared like that low stance they do with prey. He’s still sitting in the same spot like that if I go by. His tail seems to be grey at the tip where it fell off but nothing seems to be worse. I contacted the guy I got him from and he acts like he knows everything and I’m stupid and told me it was normal and all said the rest of the dragons are like that as well. He sent me a pic and about 6 babies left and they ALL have a black tip although they are all much worse then mine was and as I said I didn’t notice anything wrong with him except for he had suck shed on his nose holes I took off once home and he was fine. I just don’t know if I got a sick baby if him being here a week today is the issue if I need to call a vet or if it seems the breeder didn’t kno what he was doing. This was his first time with babies and he had 90 eggs he said she laid 2 clutches back to back. He said he was born beginning of November. He weighted about 16.6g 3 days ago. *I just came out and he’s in his water dish.

Also my temps are they to high I was using the dual dome only for the basking bulb not the uvb as I bought a better one I bought this when I first got my tank and learned for 1 they suck and 2 It wasn’t gonna be enough. The temp sometimes seems to shoot up to 112 right under the light he will go over there but usually stays on the ground right under it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 116

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks OK in the photos, and the tail tip looks good for now. I'd probably keep putting some plain neosporin on it until it has completely healed over to help prevent infection. If it heals over quickly then he should be OK on that front.

The behavior may be due to shedding, but also may be still adjusting to the new environment which can take some time. Since your UVB light runs the entire length of the enclosure, I suggest putting in maybe a plant (fake or real) or maybe another hide. Something to create some shade for him to use if needed. The temps sound pretty close, but a bit high on that basking surface. Hanging the basking light from an adjustable lamp stand will allow you to raise/lower the light easily to tweak the temps. I'd probably make some small adjustments and wait a few days and see how he reacts to each one.

Kayayo

Original Poster
He looks OK in the photos, and the tail tip looks good for now. I'd probably keep putting some plain neosporin on it until it has completely healed over to help prevent infection. If it heals over quickly then he should be OK on that front.

The behavior may be due to shedding, but also may be still adjusting to the new environment which can take some time. Since your UVB light runs the entire length of the enclosure, I suggest putting in maybe a plant (fake or real) or maybe another hide. Something to create some shade for him to use if needed. The temps sound pretty close, but a bit high on that basking surface. Hanging the basking light from an adjustable lamp stand will allow you to raise/lower the light easily to tweak the temps. I'd probably make some small adjustments and wait a few days and see how he reacts to each one.
Thanks you for replying. I’ve been so stressed. I haven’t owned a reptile but when I want something I make sure to check all my things off a list to make sure I’m doing it to the best of my ability. I was looking into buying the lamp holders and I will add some plants I did buy some but had to make sure they were bug free first. I will do as you suggested and see how it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom