New Baby dragon looks Ill

Parttime

Beardie name(s)
Creech
On aug. 26th we got a new bearded dragon from local pet store. He/she is small and fits on my index finger if that gives any indication of age. There were a total of 3 in the enclosure at store, at that time they all appeared normal/healthy. After first day of having the one we bought at home we noticed it would occasionally do something that looked like it was about to regurgitate but never actually did. The dragon has had very little appetite at all and past day or two hasn’t eaten anything. I’ve seen it leave a dropping or two in tank but that about it. He/she will pretty much rest all day and night with head high up in the air an back arched upwards. Tonight we noticed He/she appears to be getting Somewhat bloated and still showing zero interest in food and overall health condition declining. I’m going to try attaching a video clip that may show what’s going on better than I’m able to describe

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
your video did not post, just 9 seconds of background sound. looking at your profile, the UVB they sold you is completely inadequate and will even cause health/eye problems. that's not on you, that's them. you want a long tube UVB. what size is your tank? if you let us know we can start working with you on the proper set up. if you see comments from karrieree, she's the one you want to work with the most on lighting. she's our resident pro. lighting, heat, and then diet are the absolute most critical for the overall health of a dragon. once that gets sorted out properly the rest of things tend to fall into place. but without those things you're looking at poor health at the very least. what are your temperatures and how are you taking them?

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
On aug. 26th we got a new bearded dragon from local pet store. He/she is small and fits on my index finger if that gives any indication of age. There were a total of 3 in the enclosure at store, at that time they all appeared normal/healthy. After first day of having the one we bought at home we noticed it would occasionally do something that looked like it was about to regurgitate but never actually did. The dragon has had very little appetite at all and past day or two hasn’t eaten anything. I’ve seen it leave a dropping or two in tank but that about it. He/she will pretty much rest all day and night with head high up in the air an back arched upwards. Tonight we noticed He/she appears to be getting Somewhat bloated and still showing zero interest in food and overall health condition declining. I’m going to try attaching a video clip that may show what’s going on better than I’m able to describe
In addition to what hdochow said, I’d recommend also seeing if you could check inside your beardies mouth for any mouth rot going on. Mouth rot can cause bloating as well as lack of appetite.

Has your beardie had any water ? They could be constipated as well and If they aren’t having multiple droppings a day I’d be concerned.

I’d suggest maybe a bath then for the baby beardie, see if they’ll drink some water in there. Keep water below their elbows, probably a bit less because of how itty bitty they are. Keep the water about 90 degrees, too high or low will shock them.

Good luck, hope your beardie will be okay and recover

Parttime

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Creech
Thanks for the quick responses. Not sure what the issue might be in regards to video only showing still pic with background noise, is there a more reliable way to upload it? Maybe a video hosting site or I can try emailing it to someone if they wanted to take a look? I do have some lights from a previous bearded dragon set-up we had in past. I’ll check those to see if they are more well suited than what were currently using.
* not sure if it’s worth mentioning but I went back by the pet store we got this one from yesterday and there was only one left in the tank ours came from. It did not appear to be in as bad of shape, but was definitely displaying the same behavior with occasional motion of what I’d describe as trying to take a gulp of air followed by gagging once

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
oh i couldn't even see a still pic, just sound.

a lot of people will put the video on youtube and then just post the link.

Last edited:

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
what are the other lights you have from your previous beardie?

while the mouth rot asper mentioned could be a problem, it is very unlikely right now. the same will go for tail rot, or yellow fungus if you see them mentioned. serious if they happen, but rare to begin with. and the light/temp thing will be a part of the solution for those too, so it is best to focus on the basics.

another thing to mention is the lack of eating could be relocation stress. it takes them a while to settle in and be comfortable and they won't eat for a while in that case. i am more concerned with the head stretching up toward the light in your pic. that looks like seeking UVB to me which says the problem is probably stemming from lighting.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
When you can, please try to post pictures for us so we can get a better idea of his physical condition.
Is his breathing doing any better?
We recommend upgrading the UVB light to either the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube,
for a much better UVB exposure for him.

Please let us know how things are going.
Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the surface basking temps they should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 105-110- and a good long tube fixture for a UVB -- Zoo Med 24" fixture w/a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a 40 + gallon tank or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb --- please NO coils they are no good -- please get some water in him try getting him to lick of his head dropping water on to his nose --- it sounds like the dragon has Adenovirus -- please post a pic of him doing this --- we need Tracie to advise on this -- shes the vet tech mod on here she is on late at night
@Drache613

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom