New Baby Beardie - New Owner With Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm a relatively new bearded dragon owner, sharing responsibilities for my beardie with my roommate. My roommate has had two in the past, all having lived full lives. So with my recent adoption, me and him were quite confident we could do this together.

When our beardie came home, he understandably had stress streaks on his tummy and he began to run around his enclosure panicked. We set his basking rock to 100 degrees Fahrenheit (with it being 102 on average) and made certain that he had a cool side of his tank with a warm side. The warm side is in the 80s and 90s with the cool side mostly being 75-77. Humidity within the tank fluxuates between 20-40, as we live in Florida and it's quite humid here -- but we keep all windows closed. We also have a misting bottle to keep him hydrated as well as a bowl if we're out of the house. For food, we've been trying to give him crickets. In two days, he's only eaten one. Since then, he hasn't shown any interest in them whatsoever. We are growing concerned as he just sits under his basking lamp 24/7 and doesn't move very much. Then he began to look at his reflection, waving his hands in a submissive manner. So, to remedy this, we covered the glass walls of his tank with paper so he wouldn't freak out over himself. Since then, he has stopped waving his arms completely and seems more relaxed. He also poops twice a day, which I understand is a good sign.

I was wondering if anyone could let me know if this is normal? Will he make a full recovery from his stress, and are there any recommendations that we should follow? Thank you so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First lets go over the basking temps--- how are you taking them? NO stickons they are inaccurate -- you need a digital probe thermometer-- next what are you using for a UVB? NO coils they are inadequate --- your humidity if fine -- he will go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off - it may take him a while to acclimate to his tank and surroundings BUT your basking temps must be correct and UVB correct and properly placed in the tank -- these two things are the MOST important thing in that tank
Karrie

dragontails23

Original Poster
KarrieRee":370ji3g3 said:
First lets go over the basking temps--- how are you taking them? NO stickons they are inaccurate -- you need a digital probe thermometer-- next what are you using for a UVB? NO coils they are inadequate --- your humidity if fine -- he will go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off - it may take him a while to acclimate to his tank and surroundings BUT your basking temps must be correct and UVB correct and properly placed in the tank -- these two things are the MOST important thing in that tank
Karrie

Hey Karrie! Currently we are using two digital probe thermometers for the most accurate reading -- one on the left side of the tank and the other on the right. For UVB we're using a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 HO T5 UVB Lamp, 24 W, 22" L. The UVB sits on the mesh roofing and is located in the center-most part of the tank to distribute light evenly. It's also really nice because it runs on a timer. His basking lamp is in the warmest corner of the tank with his basking rock. I hope this helps. I am glad to hear this might just be a phase though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type-- this is important for UVB rays

dragontails23

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2nmlbq0s said:
The screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type-- this is important for UVB rays

Currently it is a fine mesh like a screen door. Would wide hole types be preferred? We had been considering getting wider mesh since the fine mesh is making the UVB light slightly dimmer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The fine mesh is blocking approx 30% of the rays- either get a wider hole screen - take the screen off or put the UVB in the tank- distances for w/ screen and w/ out are different please let me know what you want to do

dragontails23

Original Poster
KarrieRee":yicdt4cm said:
The fine mesh is blocking approx 30% of the rays- either get a wider hole screen - take the screen off or put the UVB in the tank- distances for w/ screen and w/ out are different please let me know what you want to do

Makes sense! With that in mind, we will probably like to put the UVB inside the tank. Would it be smart to use mounting hooks to hold the UVB inside the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I can post things in the morning to help w/that---- also distance plays a role too so I will get that info to you in the morning

dragontails23

Original Poster
KarrieRee":340vjbtm said:
Yes I can post things in the morning to help w/that---- also distance plays a role too so I will get that info to you in the morning

We have a 36x17 inch tank if that helps! Thank you very much for your time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your tank is 17" tall? Here are some things to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties--fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers-- and I use these they work great they are like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the hood
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
Get your hood in the tank then get a piece of decor and place directly underneath the UVB approx 12-15 inches --
Karrie

dragontails23

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1mv8mp60 said:
Your tank is 17" tall? Here are some things to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties--fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers-- and I use these they work great they are like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the hood
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
Get your hood in the tank then get a piece of decor and place directly underneath the UVB approx 12-15 inches --
Karrie

Yep! More or less 17'' tall.

I'll look into these options, I'm excited to see it work! I could use a combination of all of the above as well. Thank you very much! As of writing this, baby beardie is running around and looking at things. He's not eating, but I'm glad to see him move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom