New baby beardie help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, we just got a baby bearded dragon he is sooo small. We are new to having a baby, so if anyone could give me advice to make sure he survives!

His name is Glitch ❤️
We got him two days ago
He has a 40 gallon tank. A long UVB light and two fifty watt heat bulbs, a water area, a log, slate plate where I put his food, a hammock and a hide.
I got him to eat one whole meal worm, but no greens it seems yesterday.
Today he ate four roaches and nothing else. How often should o be feeding him, what should I be feeding him, how can I make sure he thrives. I’ve never had something so tiny.

Can you tell me if he looks healthy as well?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 694DF5DA-8957-41C4-8F51-3C2235B47647.jpeg
    694DF5DA-8957-41C4-8F51-3C2235B47647.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 125
  • E3937190-4FA8-4FEB-A651-00A19E6FAF96.jpeg
    E3937190-4FA8-4FEB-A651-00A19E6FAF96.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 97
  • B25C8CDC-B926-4F2C-9F05-D7504C60CC90.jpeg
    B25C8CDC-B926-4F2C-9F05-D7504C60CC90.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 26D3691D-5B80-46B8-AE8D-0ACC735275B5.jpeg
    26D3691D-5B80-46B8-AE8D-0ACC735275B5.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 97
  • CCD61CA0-0455-499C-BBAE-FD3580A6E184.jpeg
    CCD61CA0-0455-499C-BBAE-FD3580A6E184.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 96

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, we just got a baby bearded dragon he is sooo small. We are new to having a baby, so if anyone could give me advice to make sure he survives!

His name is Glitch ❤️
We got him two days ago
He has a 40 gallon tank. A long UVB light and two fifty watt heat bulbs, a water area, a log, slate plate where I put his food, a hammock and a hide.
I got him to eat one whole meal worm, but no greens it seems yesterday.
Today he ate four roaches and nothing else. How often should o be feeding him, what should I be feeding him, how can I make sure he thrives. I’ve never had something so tiny.

Can you tell me if he looks healthy as well?

Thanks!
Welcome to beardie world-- please let your baby acclimate to his tank and surroundings- he needs time to adjust - he's going thru relocation stress- so in order to keep him eating and adjust more quickly he needs correct surface basking temps-- taken w/a digital probe thermometer- you want two of them - one for your basking side and one for the cool side - surface basking temps 105- 110 - cool side of the tank 80's during the day- his eating will be slow- you want him eating something if he stops all together there's a problem- please tell me what long tube fixture your using-- brand and bulb- T 5 or T 8- this is imperative to the dragons health and for him to keep eating- let's get these things sorted out first as they are the most important things in your tank

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Hes beautiful, I remember when my babies were littler than that! I tell everyone, as far as the greens go, make the veggies "dance" a little, moving them around may get his attention, or trick him into trying something he will then enjoy! Good luck, can't wait to see more!

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Looks healthy as far as I can tell. You mentioned a long tube UVB which is good. Is it T5 or T8 and which brand? Also, is it on top of the screen or inside the tank and what is the distance to the closest basking spot?

Babies need a lot of protein and fat from bugs to grow, which they do VERY quickly the first year. General guideline is 70-80% bugs and 20-30% greens for this first year. At 12-18 months it should be about 50-50, and then flipped to 70-80% greens and 20-30% bugs as full grown adults. In a little more relatable terms, salads should be offered everyday throughout their lifetimes. Babies should get bugs 2-3 times a day, as many as they will eat in about 15 minutes. Bugs should be no bigger than the space between the eyes. Avoid mealworms and superworms while babies. The shells are really hard to digest and can cause impaction problems when coupled with a baby's small digestive tract. When his growth slows down at about a year or so, bugs once a day. When he is full grown, bugs can be cut back to about 2-3 times a week.

He may not show much interest in his greens for now, which is okay. Keep putting them in there everyday and getting him used to it. He also may not eat very much right now because of relocation stress. It can take them a little while to get comfortable in a new place. There are some things you can do to help encourage him to eat his salads like offering it a couple of hours before the first bugs, sprinkling bee pollen on them, or using black soldier fly larvae or a treat worm like waxworms as a lure on top.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I have a baby beardie I have had for 3 weeks now. I feed her 2-3x’s daily. She has not taken to leafy vegetables just yet either. However, for its replacement I feed her organic baby food mixed with calcium powder. I will attach a picture of the ones I buy. I can get her eat that pretty well and she seems to love it. Also, to make sure she’s hydrated I soak her daily. And twice a week she gets a electrolyte soak.

Attachments

• 0E9FE29F-4D77-4F8F-89C4-3A7697FD3A3F.jpeg
    0E9FE29F-4D77-4F8F-89C4-3A7697FD3A3F.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 82
  • CB11B48C-F539-4EBD-BC6F-8B002ADE018D.jpeg
    CB11B48C-F539-4EBD-BC6F-8B002ADE018D.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 81

PikoDragon82

Original Poster
I have a baby beardie I have had for 3 weeks now. I feed her 2-3x’s daily. She has not taken to leafy vegetables just yet either. However, for its replacement I feed her organic baby food mixed with calcium powder. I will attach a picture of the ones I buy. I can get her eat that pretty well and she seems to love it. Also, to make sure she’s hydrated I soak her daily. And twice a week she gets a electrolyte soak.
Thanks! How do you feed the baby food?

PikoDragon82

Original Poster
Looks healthy as far as I can tell. You mentioned a long tube UVB which is good. Is it T5 or T8 and which brand? Also, is it on top of the screen or inside the tank and what is the distance to the closest basking spot?

Babies need a lot of protein and fat from bugs to grow, which they do VERY quickly the first year. General guideline is 70-80% bugs and 20-30% greens for this first year. At 12-18 months it should be about 50-50, and then flipped to 70-80% greens and 20-30% bugs as full grown adults. In a little more relatable terms, salads should be offered everyday throughout their lifetimes. Babies should get bugs 2-3 times a day, as many as they will eat in about 15 minutes. Bugs should be no bigger than the space between the eyes. Avoid mealworms and superworms while babies. The shells are really hard to digest and can cause impaction problems when coupled with a baby's small digestive tract. When his growth slows down at about a year or so, bugs once a day. When he is full grown, bugs can be cut back to about 2-3 times a week.

He may not show much interest in his greens for now, which is okay. Keep putting them in there everyday and getting him used to it. He also may not eat very much right now because of relocation stress. It can take them a little while to get comfortable in a new place. There are some things you can do to help encourage him to eat his salads like offering it a couple of hours before the first bugs, sprinkling bee pollen on them, or using black soldier fly larvae or a treat worm like waxworms as a lure on top.
So to avoid the impaction, should he just be fed crickets?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So to avoid the impaction, should he just be fed crickets?
Your dragon needs a good staple feeder like crickets dubia roaches or BSFL they are a great staple for babies make sure your feeding insects NO bigger than the space between his eyes that is what causes impaction - NO meal worms as they are a cause as well the dragon cannot digest the exoskeleton on those worms - please get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com I would order medium for now and use them as lures to the salad bowl -- please stop feeding the baby food -- his main diet is protein for now and even if he eats a little salad that is fine - take the BSFL and drop them in a bowl like this or similar to it will keep them in the bowl - feed as many as you want but I would also use another main staple so you know hes getting enough he should be eating as many as he can crickets or dubias in a 10-15 minute time span -- do not leave any crickets in the tank please - they will bite the dragon --
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Your dragon should be fed salads in the morning after waking up / heating up you might want to rinse the BSFL before serving his salads along w/ the greens rinse them as well they get most of their moistures from the salads - Nutrition Content kale is a good staple feeder
you can get some small super worms as well add 1-3 every other day on his salads along w/ the BSFL this will lure him to the salad bowl too - you can hand feed the BSFL that will begin hand taming him -- please dust your crickets or dubia roaches 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding he should be offered food insects 3 times per day and dust the insects w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- make sure you are using a long tube fixture w/a good bulb like a Reptisun bulb or a Arcadia bulb --- for a 40 gallon tank the bulb should be a 10.0 T 5 bulb and it must be properly placed and distanced for the tank and that will depend on the screen your using I can help w/ that -- the temps should be surface basking temps of 105-110 --- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- a must -- these last things I posted are the most important things in your tank --- if you have any more questions please ask

please cut back on the bathing -- its causing him more stress -- I would drop water on his nose or spray him in the tank -- dragons dont need bathing very often -- we can talk about that if you have questions and if hes eating some salad he will get water thru that -- I can tell you what to look for if you think hes dehydrated his poop will tell you

PikoDragon82

Original Poster
@
Your dragon needs a good staple feeder like crickets dubia roaches or BSFL they are a great staple for babies make sure your feeding insects NO bigger than the space between his eyes that is what causes impaction - NO meal worms as they are a cause as well the dragon cannot digest the exoskeleton on those worms - please get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com I would order medium for now and use them as lures to the salad bowl -- please stop feeding the baby food -- his main diet is protein for now and even if he eats a little salad that is fine - take the BSFL and drop them in a bowl like this or similar to it will keep them in the bowl - feed as many as you want but I would also use another main staple so you know hes getting enough he should be eating as many as he can crickets or dubias in a 10-15 minute time span -- do not leave any crickets in the tank please - they will bite the dragon --
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Your dragon should be fed salads in the morning after waking up / heating up you might want to rinse the BSFL before serving his salads along w/ the greens rinse them as well they get most of their moistures from the salads - Nutrition Content kale is a good staple feeder
you can get some small super worms as well add 1-3 every other day on his salads along w/ the BSFL this will lure him to the salad bowl too - you can hand feed the BSFL that will begin hand taming him -- please dust your crickets or dubia roaches 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding he should be offered food insects 3 times per day and dust the insects w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- make sure you are using a long tube fixture w/a good bulb like a Reptisun bulb or a Arcadia bulb --- for a 40 gallon tank the bulb should be a 10.0 T 5 bulb and it must be properly placed and distanced for the tank and that will depend on the screen your using I can help w/ that -- the temps should be surface basking temps of 105-110 --- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- a must -- these last things I posted are the most important things in your tank --- if you have any more questions please ask

please cut back on the bathing -- its causing him more stress -- I would drop water on his nose or spray him in the tank -- dragons dont need bathing very often -- we can talk about that if you have questions and if hes eating some salad he will get water thru that -- I can tell you what to look for if you think hes dehydrated his poop will tell you

Attachments

• C5C8F4D4-032E-4DC9-90FE-B3CD47D06E64.jpeg
    C5C8F4D4-032E-4DC9-90FE-B3CD47D06E64.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 3F58696E-0252-49B2-A303-8011A9C82DC6.jpeg
    3F58696E-0252-49B2-A303-8011A9C82DC6.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 79
  • BCFA9139-CD37-45C7-8671-5FB803863E32.jpeg
    BCFA9139-CD37-45C7-8671-5FB803863E32.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 92

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please upgrade your UVB to a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
or this one it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb like what you have you want the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb-- keep the 5.0 for a back up distance and placement is different between the two bulbs
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
The screen on your tank looks like a wide hole type the UVB can sit on your screen w/ the basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- please change out the bulb in approx one year from install I recommend a month prior to
The 5.0 bulb your using now please unobstruct it and place a piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches -- this bulb is not strong enough to go thru the screen -- if you need more help please ask

Also is there a reflector on that fixture ? That would be a shiny piece behind the bulb it would look like tin foil

PikoDragon82

Original Poster
Please upgrade your UVB to a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
or this one it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb like what you have you want the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb-- keep the 5.0 for a back up distance and placement is different between the two bulbs
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
The screen on your tank looks like a wide hole type the UVB can sit on your screen w/ the basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- please change out the bulb in approx one year from install I recommend a month prior to
The 5.0 bulb your using now please unobstruct it and place a piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches -- this bulb is not strong enough to go thru the screen -- if you need more help please ask

Also is there a reflector on that fixture ? That would be a shiny piece behind the bulb it would look like tin foil
Yes there is a reflector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom