New and worried about my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbspot

Hi all
I just bought my beardie on sunday and i think its about 1 month old.Its about 6in long.I'm worried because the last time it ate was tuesday morning.I'ts very aware what's going on around it,but it wont eat.I'm still new in the whole thing and i am afraid i did something wrong to cause it not to eat.I think maybe it's relocation stress or something.My setup is as follows

1,2m long encloser
Reptiglow 10 uv tube
a red basking light 100w
temp on cool side is 25 degrees celsius
temp on warm side is 35 degrees celcius
temp is measured with digital termometers

looking forward for advice
thanx

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hello there-
Welcome to this site :D . You can find a lot of great info here. I'm new also and have a baby beardie too. I'm not that experienced yet but I'll offer you what I can ... I'm not sure why he's not eating - It may be from relocation stress.

What are you feeding ? Is he/shes drinking ? (size and age appropriate?). Regular baths help to keep them hydrated too. Are you bathing him/her?

I don't mean to pound you with questions but it may help for better advice ....(more experienced members chime in at anytime :D :D )

One thing you may want to consider is getting a new UVB light. Several posts have warned that the particular bulb you have may be bad for their eyes. If you use the search feature for this site and type in Reptiglo you can read more on the details and decide for yourself. I had that bulb too and turned it off and promtly ordered the ReptiSUN 10.0 (maybe another member can post a link on this topic - I'm not sure how to do that) Otherwise, some more experienced members may reply to you with more specific questions to help you further than I can. Sorry I don't have many specifics for you. Take care and good luck.

cbspot

Original Poster
Hi

I haven't had spyro(my beardies name) that long, I've only had spyro for 4 days and the last time it ate was two days ago, the second day I've spyro it ate 8 small crickets, and the next morning 3 small crickets and I dusted 1 cricket with calsium powder once a day. The next day spyro left a poo, and after that spyro hasn't eaten for 2 days, but it left a poo when I checked today. Inside the encloser I put pellets as well but I don't know if spyro is eating the pellets, I also put some graded carrots inside to see if spyro maybe wants to eat it - but no luck.
I replaced the red bulb with a spotlight. I want to know if I can use the red light at night because the petstore were I bought it told me that it is a night light and I must put it on at night.I dont know exacly how to bath spyro,can you maybe give me some tips and what time of day is best for feeding and bathing.

Thank you
ps how do i put a photo on a post?

Laurmann2000

Juvie Member
You don't need and shouldn't use any light at night. As long as your night temp is not colder than 60 degrees F he should be fine. I just want to tell you that I got my baby beardie one week ago and today was the first day he ate more than 2 or 3 crickets. He just wouldn't eat but seemed fine in everything else. I was so worried and everyone kept telling me it was relocation stress and not to worry. Well today he ate about 20 crickets for me in the morning. I haven't fed him yet this afternoon. One difference is that before today I was taking him out of his enclosure and putting him in a small one to feed him. Today I left him in his enclosure and fed him one cricket at a time dusted with calcium. And he ate about 20 all together like that. I was so thrilled. So try not to worry too much. Keep offering him food twice a day. About 1 to 2 hours after he wakes up and again in the afternoon. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hi cbspot, :D
Again, I'm really pretty new and inexperienced at this too so I don't want to give you inaccurate info.

To your original question of him not eating I can't offer you much advice. There are a lot of variables to that.

For photos I use photobucket

as for the night light I do not use one either.

I'm sorry I can't offer you many specifics but what I do know came from this site and I just wore that search feature out :D and I still continue reading old posts and keep learning new little tid bits everyday. Take care and good luck. :D

cbspot

Original Poster
hi
Thanks for all the reply's,spyro has started eating again last night,not much it was 3 crickets.Spyro ate after i gave him a bath and put him in his basking spot.
What must i do if the night tem gets to low because where i live (standerton ,South africa)it gets cold at night.Last night i put off all the lights and the temp dropped to 12 degrees celcius.Will this affect my beardie in any way.
Thanks again for all your help!!!! :blob5:

Laurmann2000

Juvie Member
In that case use a bulb that doesn't emit any light to warm it up a bit. You could use a ceramic heat emitter. I don't know if it's okay to use a red or black light. Someone else may be able to answer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom