New Adopted adult beardie won’t eat, help!

Monique996

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Keala
Hey just wanted to give an update! The new lights are great. My beardie has been eating more. Will eat around 3-4 roaches in a sitting. Eating some collard greens. It’s progress but still not where it should be. I took them to the vet yesterday and I found out that he has anemia, may have a neurological disease. He is getting tested for adenovirus. So I have to wait for results. Also testing poop for parasites. And he is developing cataracts :( I have to force feed him with emeraid through a syringe until he is eating normally.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey just wanted to give an update! The new lights are great. My beardie has been eating more. Will eat around 3-4 roaches in a sitting. Eating some collard greens. It’s progress but still not where it should be. I took them to the vet yesterday and I found out that he has anemia, may have a neurological disease. He is getting tested for adenovirus. So I have to wait for results. Also testing poop for parasites. And he is developing cataracts :( I have to force feed him with emeraid through a syringe until he is eating normally.
So sorry to hear he is ill -- keep us updated on the progress and so glad hes eating now -- Tracie can help you w/ the adenovirus if he test positive for that as well

Hi all! I adopted my beautiful adult bearded dragon on June 2nd, 2022. Her name is Keala! She. I got her from a reptile store near me. It’s now been almost 2 weeks, and she still hasn’t eaten. I have tried to feed her Dubia roaches, collared greens, apples, carrots. She doesn’t even seem interested. I even tried to hand feed her but still nothing. They said they think she is around 4/5 years old. View attachment 71076 View attachment 71075

She’s been pretty lethargic. Doesn’t move around too much and seems to sleep a lot. Because she hasn’t been eating, I haven’t seen any poop in the tank. I tried to keep handling to a minimum within her first week home. Didn’t pick her up, only pet her head so she can get used to my hand. She seemed okay with that. I’ve gone back to the reptile store a few times voicing my concern and asking them if she was eating while at the store. They said she ate Dubia roaches while there. She was at the store for about 3-4 weeks. They said she could just still be adjusting and could still be stressed.

Her beard is pretty black still. I’ve tried to leave her be. Her temperature is perfect in the tank. It’s a 40 gallon tank. Only thing is, the humidity is pretty high. Right now it’s at 60% which I know is high. Could that be affecting her desire to eat? I tried getting a mini dehumidifier for the tank but it’s done absolutely nothing. Any tips on lowering the humidity?

I’ve attached photos and would appreciate any suggestions on what else I can try to help her. A few days ago when I put my hand in the tank she actually crawled up my arm and I was able to hold her for about an hour. She fell asleep while sitting on my shoulder. I also gave her a bath and she seemed relaxed. I was hopeful that maybe us bonding would cause her appetite to come back but she still hasn’t eaten. I don’t know what else to do so any help is appreciated!!! Thank you :)

One thing is no sand and no water bowl in the enclosure. You can handle the dragon as it will promote a good bond. A warm bath may help as well. I would recommend getting some Pumpkin Baby Food. It is a natural laxative to them. You can put a bit on the tip of the nose. They need a 100 watt basking bulb, 100 watt CHE bulb and highly vet recommended a T8 UVB. Walmart carries the 24 inch black light bulb and mount for 10.97 by Hyper Tough and Rept-Sun off Amazon will have the T8 bulb. The reason I say T8 is because a lady I know had a dragon that was paralyzed on his back end...legs would move. In just 3 weeks and some physical therapy, he is walking everywhere and has been for awhile now.
If your dragon isn't eating, you might need a vet visit. The blackbeard could suggest underlying health issues or impaction from that sand.

Hope all turns out good. We have the same color dragon!

Monique996

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Keala
One thing is no sand and no water bowl in the enclosure. You can handle the dragon as it will promote a good bond. A warm bath may help as well. I would recommend getting some Pumpkin Baby Food. It is a natural laxative to them. You can put a bit on the tip of the nose. They need a 100 watt basking bulb, 100 watt CHE bulb and highly vet recommended a T8 UVB. Walmart carries the 24 inch black light bulb and mount for 10.97 by Hyper Tough and Rept-Sun off Amazon will have the T8 bulb. The reason I say T8 is because a lady I know had a dragon that was paralyzed on his back end...legs would move. In just 3 weeks and some physical therapy, he is walking everywhere and has been for awhile now.
If your dragon isn't eating, you might need a vet visit. The blackbeard could suggest underlying health issues or impaction from that sand.

Hope all turns out good. We have the same color dragon!
Thank you for all this! I did end up taking the sand out and I replaced lighting with the reptisun zoomed T5 then got a flukers 100 W basking bulb. He has been eating more but not full appetite. Been handling a good amount and he is way more comfortable. I did take him to the vet. He got tested for adenovirus thank goodness he is negative. He pooped and they tested it. Small amount of work eggs but they said it was such a small amount that they wouldn’t even treat it. He is anemic though. The vet gave me emeraid carnivore mix to syringe feed him 7ml a day until he is eating normally so he has better nutrition. He has been way more alert and less lethargic. So hoping soon enough he will be eating normal! Thanks for your tips :)

Monique996

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Keala
Yes those are the correct ones but the price is terrible for the bulb -- did you look on www.pangeareptiles.com or even www.petmountain.com
As far as the basking bulb wattage goes as long as its keeping the correct temps you need -- I would order a couple to keep on hand you never know when you will need to change them out
Just wanted to update you that my beardie is negative for adenovirus! I’m so happy. His fecal sample showed a small amount of worm eggs but the vet said it was such a small amount that they wouldn’t even treat him for it. So I still don’t know what is causing his head tremors but the vet is going to call me on Tuesday to see what we should do next

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just wanted to update you that my beardie is negative for adenovirus! I’m so happy. His fecal sample showed a small amount of worm eggs but the vet said it was such a small amount that they wouldn’t even treat him for it. So I still don’t know what is causing his head tremors but the vet is going to call me on Tuesday to see what we should do next
Where is the T 5 ? Your screen is going to determine where that UVB goes --

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom