New Adopted adult beardie won’t eat, help!

Monique996

Beardie name(s)
Keala
Hi all! I adopted my beautiful adult bearded dragon on June 2nd, 2022. Her name is Keala! She. I got her from a reptile store near me. It’s now been almost 2 weeks, and she still hasn’t eaten. I have tried to feed her Dubia roaches, collared greens, apples, carrots. She doesn’t even seem interested. I even tried to hand feed her but still nothing. They said they think she is around 4/5 years old.
07EB68CC-4D86-4EDB-A6D6-5C6C4718A38C.jpeg
EE69F225-13E2-4C50-8507-9DB47A3BCAFE.jpeg

She’s been pretty lethargic. Doesn’t move around too much and seems to sleep a lot. Because she hasn’t been eating, I haven’t seen any poop in the tank. I tried to keep handling to a minimum within her first week home. Didn’t pick her up, only pet her head so she can get used to my hand. She seemed okay with that. I’ve gone back to the reptile store a few times voicing my concern and asking them if she was eating while at the store. They said she ate Dubia roaches while there. She was at the store for about 3-4 weeks. They said she could just still be adjusting and could still be stressed.

Her beard is pretty black still. I’ve tried to leave her be. Her temperature is perfect in the tank. It’s a 40 gallon tank. Only thing is, the humidity is pretty high. Right now it’s at 60% which I know is high. Could that be affecting her desire to eat? I tried getting a mini dehumidifier for the tank but it’s done absolutely nothing. Any tips on lowering the humidity?

I’ve attached photos and would appreciate any suggestions on what else I can try to help her. A few days ago when I put my hand in the tank she actually crawled up my arm and I was able to hold her for about an hour. She fell asleep while sitting on my shoulder. I also gave her a bath and she seemed relaxed. I was hopeful that maybe us bonding would cause her appetite to come back but she still hasn’t eaten. I don’t know what else to do so any help is appreciated!!! Thank you :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all! I adopted my beautiful adult bearded dragon on June 2nd, 2022. Her name is Keala! She. I got her from a reptile store near me. It’s now been almost 2 weeks, and she still hasn’t eaten. I have tried to feed her Dubia roaches, collared greens, apples, carrots. She doesn’t even seem interested. I even tried to hand feed her but still nothing. They said they think she is around 4/5 years old. View attachment 71076 View attachment 71075

She’s been pretty lethargic. Doesn’t move around too much and seems to sleep a lot. Because she hasn’t been eating, I haven’t seen any poop in the tank. I tried to keep handling to a minimum within her first week home. Didn’t pick her up, only pet her head so she can get used to my hand. She seemed okay with that. I’ve gone back to the reptile store a few times voicing my concern and asking them if she was eating while at the store. They said she ate Dubia roaches while there. She was at the store for about 3-4 weeks. They said she could just still be adjusting and could still be stressed.

Her beard is pretty black still. I’ve tried to leave her be. Her temperature is perfect in the tank. It’s a 40 gallon tank. Only thing is, the humidity is pretty high. Right now it’s at 60% which I know is high. Could that be affecting her desire to eat? I tried getting a mini dehumidifier for the tank but it’s done absolutely nothing. Any tips on lowering the humidity?

I’ve attached photos and would appreciate any suggestions on what else I can try to help her. A few days ago when I put my hand in the tank she actually crawled up my arm and I was able to hold her for about an hour. She fell asleep while sitting on my shoulder. I also gave her a bath and she seemed relaxed. I was hopeful that maybe us bonding would cause her appetite to come back but she still hasn’t eaten. I don’t know what else to do so any help is appreciated!!! Thank you :)
She looks nice and healthy and to get her to stay that way we need to go over some of the husbandry ---- first off the bulb in the dome is a basking bulb only or a MVB meaning a all in one UVB/ Basking ? If its only a basking bulb she will not eat w/ out a UVB --- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med 24" fixture w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a 40 + gallon tank -- please get this right away-- she is going thru relocation stress so that is going to effect the eating but she needs the UVB -- also I would recommend getting rid of the sand -- it harbors bacteria and can cause impaction and I do see food on the sand - the sand could be a reason the humidity is so high too- as long at it does not go over 70% your ok and you dont want it below 20% -- also please get 2 digital probe thermometers - they are the most accurate and I see you have a hammock in the tank as well I would look at getting a fleece hammock or a cloth one -- the one you have is good for snagging nails and causing injuries to the nails and feet --
you can replace the sand w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - it can be found on Etsy and its called shelf liner for reptile dragons or you can look at your local home improvement store or Walmart for some - cut it to the size of your tank insects cannot get underneath it clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- you can also find fleece hammocks / cloth ones on Esty as well or www.pamperedbeardies.com
if you need more help w/ the UVB please ask I can help you --

Monique996

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Keala
She looks nice and healthy and to get her to stay that way we need to go over some of the husbandry ---- first off the bulb in the dome is a basking bulb only or a MVB meaning a all in one UVB/ Basking ? If its only a basking bulb she will not eat w/ out a UVB --- you want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med 24" fixture w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a 40 + gallon tank -- please get this right away-- she is going thru relocation stress so that is going to effect the eating but she needs the UVB -- also I would recommend getting rid of the sand -- it harbors bacteria and can cause impaction and I do see food on the sand - the sand could be a reason the humidity is so high too- as long at it does not go over 70% your ok and you dont want it below 20% -- also please get 2 digital probe thermometers - they are the most accurate and I see you have a hammock in the tank as well I would look at getting a fleece hammock or a cloth one -- the one you have is good for snagging nails and causing injuries to the nails and feet --
you can replace the sand w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - it can be found on Etsy and its called shelf liner for reptile dragons or you can look at your local home improvement store or Walmart for some - cut it to the size of your tank insects cannot get underneath it clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50-- you can also find fleece hammocks / cloth ones on Esty as well or www.pamperedbeardies.com
if you need more help w/ the UVB please ask I can help you --
Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice.

The light is an all in one so it has the basking aspect and UVB. I will look into different hammocks as well!

For the sand, I obviously wound need to take the tank apart and take her out of it. Do you think taking it all apart will stress her out even more?

I very much appreciate everything you said and even the links :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice.

The light is an all in one so it has the basking aspect and UVB. I will look into different hammocks as well!

For the sand, I obviously wound need to take the tank apart and take her out of it. Do you think taking it all apart will stress her out even more?

I very much appreciate everything you said and even the links :)
Your mvb is what brand and wattage please? With it sitting on the screen the uvb rays are being blocked - it is best to have them unobstructed - getting a lamp stand to hang over the tank also it's recommended that another long tube uvb be added as most mvb do not supply adequate uvb- if you need help w/ that please ask
It's going to stress her out and since she's stressed now I would get the substrate changed now

Monique996

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Keala
E8E0B98B-EF42-4E68-A78E-0F5429CB556A.jpg
CEBC5E0F-864B-4BA2-99AA-CB782C0D1589.jpg
This is the bulb! I have two digital thermometers inside the tank as well just so you know, I forgot to say that earlier.

Do you recommend a good stand for the light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
View attachment 71079 View attachment 71080 This is the bulb! I have two digital thermometers inside the tank as well just so you know, I forgot to say that earlier.

Do you recommend a good stand for the light?
I recommend a better mvb- a Mega ray a lower wattage I think they come in 125 watts but you will also need a long tube fixture so w/ that being said I would replace the mvb w/ a regular solid clear bright white basking bulb - then you won't need the stand- please look on www.pangeareptiles.com or www.petmountain.com or www.chewy.com for the 24" zoo med fixture and flukers basking bulbs or Exo Terra intense basking bulb or Arcadia halogen or zoo med repti basking bulb - please let me know what you decide but the mvb your using now is a brand that is not known and you want a good bulb--

Monique996

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Keala
I recommend a better mvb- a Mega ray a lower wattage I think they come in 125 watts but you will also need a long tube fixture so w/ that being said I would replace the mvb w/ a regular solid clear bright white basking bulb - then you won't need the stand- please look on www.pangeareptiles.com or www.petmountain.com or www.chewy.com for the 24" zoo med fixture and flukers basking bulbs or Exo Terra intense basking bulb or Arcadia halogen or zoo med repti basking bulb - please let me know what you decide but the mvb your using now is a brand that is not known and you want a good bulb--
Thanks so much! Which basking bulb out of all of those would you prefer? Also, the light below is the zoo Med fixture you were talking about?

I appreciate all your help

Attachments

• BF29AE27-FA9E-4112-A581-4C594E4A99DF.jpg
    BF29AE27-FA9E-4112-A581-4C594E4A99DF.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 83

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks so much! Which basking bulb out of all of those would you prefer? Also, the light below is the zoo Med fixture you were talking about?

I appreciate all your help
Correct brand but you want the T 5 -- the one shown says T 8 - zoo med fixture is 24" - flukers seems to be good - I have used Exo Terra intense for years but was getting some bad bulbs this past spring so I have switched over to flukers

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let me know when you get the uvb in I will help you get it placed for your tank - it will depend on the screen on the tank

Monique996

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Keala
Which one of the zoo Med t5? These are all t5 but what number UVB would you recommend? 5 or 10? Also, I attached a photo of the flukers basking bulb is that the correct one?
FB79A4F1-5F50-415A-958A-FCC6DC65A02F.jpg
8B211187-EA36-4510-A236-DC87B2CF8F89.jpg
EC9BC7D8-CF51-43BA-9058-3AEC0BC72057.jpg

Attachments

• A7FB391D-FDDC-4EED-832D-0894C226FA9E.jpg
    A7FB391D-FDDC-4EED-832D-0894C226FA9E.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 69

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Which one of the zoo Med t5? These are all t5 but what number UVB would you recommend? 5 or 10? Also, I attached a photo of the flukers basking bulb is that the correct one? View attachment 71089 View attachment 71090 View attachment 71091
You want the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb and a Zoo Med 24" hood --- use the drop down menu on the hood size -- the bulb will say in ( ) 22" bulb -- and yes that is a Flukers bulb -- make sure you are getting the correct wattage -- I dont know what your using now but you want a digital probe thermometer to get that surface basking temp

Monique996

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Keala
You want the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb and a Zoo Med 24" hood --- use the drop down menu on the hood size -- the bulb will say in ( ) 22" bulb -- and yes that is a Flukers bulb -- make sure you are getting the correct wattage -- I dont know what your using now but you want a digital probe thermometer to get that surface basking temp
How do these look? And for the basking bulb, is 100 watts good? That’s the wattage my current one has

Attachments

• 63C25F08-4F0B-4A59-840A-B5E25F783DE2.jpg
    63C25F08-4F0B-4A59-840A-B5E25F783DE2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 77
  • E6D80716-7727-41E2-B085-AEE160E1B613.jpg
    E6D80716-7727-41E2-B085-AEE160E1B613.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 70

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How do these look? And for the basking bulb, is 100 watts good? That’s the wattage my current one has
Yes those are the correct ones but the price is terrible for the bulb -- did you look on www.pangeareptiles.com or even www.petmountain.com
As far as the basking bulb wattage goes as long as its keeping the correct temps you need -- I would order a couple to keep on hand you never know when you will need to change them out

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom