new 4x2x2 enclosure Light/Heat issue

pufffee1

Hi!

New to forum, my son and I have had a bearded for 3 years in a 40gallon breeder. I used dual lamp with heat bulb (160 W) and separate uv. I just set up our new 4x2x2 and have a single lamp enclosure on top of screen by corner with a Powersun UV 160 W bulb. It boasts it does both heat and UV but I can only get barely 80 degree temps and it barely feels hot under when I use hand. Is this more UV then actual heat. They are not cheap, or am I just losing heat do it large surface area. I was going to buy another lamp today and just a Heat only one like 100 w or so but want opinions first.

Beardie name(s)
Fire
You need a UVB tube bulb like Arcadia or Reptisun and you can just get a normal basking bulb.
The other UVB bulbs don't put off enough UVB light for beardies.
Can I see a picture of your setup?

pufffee1

Original Poster
Keep in mind we need more things in his cage, this was a quick swap from smaller tank

Attachments

• 20230207_103511.jpg
    20230207_103511.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230207_103502.jpg
    20230207_103502.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 55

pufffee1

Original Poster
It looks great but I would get two digital probe thermometers instead of the stick on one and you NEED a UVB tube bulb.
Can you recommend a tub light? Also, I assume I get rid of the expensive Mercury Vapor bulb and get one heat bulb, what wattage would you recommend and thanks!!

pufffee1

Original Poster
Hi again, figured I would pick your Brain about substrate. My son is 11 and see websites or videos saying sand or sand mixtures are ok. I think it is calcium and we have used it for a couple of years. in the new tank I currently have a lament type material. I have been noticing a lot of people not doing sand of any type via web searches and seeing peoples set ups. The sand can smell I will admit that but what is your thoughts. I see a lot conflicting info. I most likely am not going to do it, but figured I would ask your opinion

Beardie name(s)
Fire
I personally don't like using sand, mostly because there is a risk of impaction and it's harder to clean in my opinion. If you want to use sand, you can, but make sure that it's play sand not calcium sand. (you can find play sand at home depot or other hardware stores, it's the kind they use in kids sandboxes.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For a 4x2x2 tank you can get this mat for a substrate Original Zen Mat - for 4'x2' based Original enclosures | Zen Habitats
Please get a long tube fixture for your 120 gallon tank -- 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a 24" Sunblaster Nano Tech -- I can post websites if you need them -- you will need the Reptisun T 5 bulb for the Sunblaster fixture-- you want surface basking temps of 95-100 for a adult dragon taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- those are the most accurate

pufffee1

Original Poster
Thanks! my substrate in the new tank almost identical to what you posted so that is good. I will check out petco and petsmart tonight for UV Fixture. It appears the main spec is T5 but I have seen different percentages, what percentage? I see you put 12% but I have seen 10 and others I believe if I recall. Lastly would this just go in the middle since its a big tank or more towards his basking area

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks! my substrate in the new tank almost identical to what you posted so that is good. I will check out petco and petsmart tonight for UV Fixture. It appears the main spec is T5 but I have seen different percentages, what percentage? I see you put 12% but I have seen 10 and others I believe if I recall. Lastly would this just go in the middle since its a big tank or more towards his basking area
Pet Smart carries the Arcadia --- you want the 24 watt 12% bulb --- those are made in Germany so they go by the %'s of bulbs they make different ones - the Reptisun are made in US and go by watt and they are 24 - you have T 8's that most of the Pet Stores carry you want a T 5 for a 120 gallon tank - the T 8's are not as strong -- place as close to the basking area as possible it needs to be in the tank and directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches - change the bulb out in approx 10-11 months from date of install

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom