need temperary night-time heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hi there-

I'd like to raise my night-time temps temporarily to boost the probiotics that I'm using (battling coccidia). I live in Florida so I don't really think I want to invest in a ceramic heat emitter because I doubt I will need it during the winter and I've heard stories about them starting fires. We have spent well over $500.00 so far on this evil parasite and there is more to come so I'd rather not buy anything I don't have to. I was wondering if anyone ever used a small heating pad to do this ..... I saw one in the drug-store for $12.00 (12 inch by 24 inch with a small pillow-case cover) and figured I could fold several towels over it and put in him to sleep with it. He rarely moves once I wrap him up and shut off the lights at night. I can't get up every hour to warm rice-socks.....I would go insane.

Any thoughts appreciated. :D

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
luvthydragon":4c2f3 said:
I can't get up every hour to warm rice-socks.....I would go insane.

I hear that, and i am sure your BD would prefer not to be bothered either.
-
My friend uses an electric heating pad that he uses to hold his BD while out of the tank. (wrapped in towels too of course)
-
maybe there is safe way you could use it as a type of substrate/space heater.

Personally I use undertank heaters, and cover up the top of the tank (and I wake up before the lights turn on) or you can just cover parts of the tank.

Something to consider, hope it helps at all

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ArdorAndZeal1":a051c said:
luvthydragon":a051c said:
I can't get up every hour to warm rice-socks.....I would go insane.

I hear that, and i am sure your BD would prefer not to be bothered either.
-
My friend uses an electric heating pad that he uses to hold his BD while out of the tank. (wrapped in towels too of course)
-
maybe there is safe way you could use it as a type of substrate/space heater.

Personally I use undertank heaters, and cover up the top of the tank (and I wake up before the lights turn on) or you can just cover parts of the tank.

Something to consider, hope it helps at all

Thanks - that's a great idea....using it like a space heater.....Thanks again

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Last spring we had a cold snap and I hung a heating pad on the side of the viv(inside) I used clear packing tape on the cord out side to hold it on. It looked rediculous(SP) but it kept him warm. This year I'll have to get a CHE. It gets cold in Tn.

Sandy H

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
I am sorry your Beardie is sick :cry:
I occasionally put Judah on a heating pad durring the day, but have not put it in the tank. It should be ok if the temps are not too high.

Mine on Med heat only gets 90 deg which is hot for night time temps, but I use it when he is sitting in the window in my office. Use your thermometer with a prob to messure the temps and then you can desypher what level you want it to be on. This temp messured is with the cover and a towel BTW

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
When I hang mine from the side I put it oppisite his sleeping side. The sleeping spot stayed just right. No towels needed because it was on the wall. I was surprised at how well it worked.

Sandy H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom