need some help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rita1

i have kept lizards before, bd, gecko and uromastyx.
but it’s been awhile, i got a baby bd a week ago with a brand new set up which was recommended by the shop.
4 x 2 x 2 vivarium, T5 uv which is set diagonally across his viv, white hot spot bulb set at 85 though the thermostat at the back is saying 110. i have a night heater which is a black ceramic bulb set to come on at 22 if it gets to cold.
my problem is he will not eat crickets, but goes mad for wax worms, but i know they are for treats only. what can i do. also not sure how to down load my photos.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
the black ceramic bulb is a CHE? If so you do not need it if the temps at nite are 65F or higher- you dont want the temp in the tank over 75 at nite
the temps for basking are being taken by a digital probe thermometer correct? Basking temps should be 105-110 F -- if your hot spot or basking spot is 85 F it is not hot enough -- Your T 5 is inside the tank or on top of screen? The bulb has certain placement and distance it needs to be for correct UVB- please dont feed your baby wax worms as a common treat- they are very fatty and too many and too often can lead to liver damage- only give sparingly- keep offering the crickets dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week dusted only ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week dusted only ONCE per feeding- he should be fed salads every morning ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I would order some BSFL they are a great staple feeder for babies feed as many as you want on top of his salads -- use them as lures - if you want to feed small super worms on top 1-3 that would be good to use as lures to the salad bowl - you want him eating salads now or some - but for now the main diet is insects - I would order some dubia roaches as a staple to compliment your BSFL - they are small so I would order the large BSFL - dubias should be fed no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- you will need a bowl like this for your insects and salad and worms so they can get out https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Your UVB is in a fixture w/ a reflector correct? If there is no reflector you need one in the fixture - it will intensify the UVB rays and project the rays downward toward him which is what you want
if you have more questions please ask
Your dragon will go thru relocation stress and his eating will be off till he acclimates to the tank but you MUST have the basking temps and UVB correct or he will quit eating all together

rita1

Original Poster
110911-6640011971.jpg
thank you for your help, i live in the uk and we are having 1- weather so the ceramic comes on at night to keep the temperature up 20 - 22 at night. we have up the temp to 100.
i have put a picture on of his vivarium. any more suggestions please.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The pic posted --- I see him down in the bottom of the tank -- make sure the T 5 is directly over his basking decor 12-15 inches and the fixture has a reflector- basking spot needs to be 105-110 F taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - quit giving him the wax worms - they are like candy - try getting some dubia roaches for him get them no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- the substrate I would change out to some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of his tank -- insects cannot get underneath and its easy to clean - vinegar/ water 50/50-- I posted a bunch of info for you in my previous post -- he needs a hide and I would think large as he will grow and he needs one for when hes bigger -- I see only a stick on for temps they are good for ambient temps ONLY --

rita1

Original Poster
hello thank you for your great advice, i have a heat infra gun to check his temperature, it’s now 105 on basking side and uv is right over him, the basking side he does not sit very long and he starts to gape and moves up the log which is measuring 90. the substrate is going tomorrow we have got some slate which is sealed. i will get him a hide also. my hubby is making a artificial rocks and ledges for him. we have put up a camera so we can see what he is up to in the day, and see what he is eating.
110911-1866603340.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well everything sounds good- as long as the UVB is correct placement etc and basking temps are good the little guy should do good-- you want him pooping eating basking and active :)

rita1

Original Poster
thank you, he poos every day and very active today, still not eating lots, he had 4 crickets and 8 live meal worms, he seems to prefer worms. have ordered some cali worms and looking for silk worms. not tried dubia roaches yet. will he be ok eating worms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get him off the meal worms - hes too young - cali worms or BSFL known here in the states are a great staple for babies -- it sounds like he either doesnt like the crickets or just gotten spoiled w/ the meal worms :) so they are too harsh on his stomach and could lead to impaction so I would not feed them at all or limit them - I would use 3 or 4 on his salads in the morning - you want him eating those salads too -- when you get the cali worms use those on his salads and use as many as you want - get him some dubias since hes not going for the crickets - get yourself the bowl I posted earlier for you you will need it for the cali worms and small dubia wont be able to get out of that bowl either

rita1

Original Poster
so glad i found this site, this little lad is now eating crickets :blob5: yay, and loves cali worms. scoffs them. i put them in his salad bowl but he will not eat the salad at all. i feed him water from a dropper which he take really well. i gave him a bath holding him all the time so he does not get scared, he was not keen on the bath, hopefully he will get use to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom