Need help with lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantronics

Beardie name(s)
Apolla
I have been struggling with the lighting. I thought my temps was right on spot but she hides all day while I’m at work. I place her in basking spot before work and she stays for maybe a hour than hides. My daughter feeds her around noon and she eats, bask for a hour and hides until I come home and place her on basking spot and she stays until lights out 2 hours later. All my lighting info I filled out, or can provide info as needed, thanks. Her current location is the orange room because I thought the dog barking was scaring her.

Attachments

• A8B63F15-701E-4EAA-9FC3-DD1C3A06C3AE.jpeg
    A8B63F15-701E-4EAA-9FC3-DD1C3A06C3AE.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 1CDD3A47-6BC5-415A-8CF6-C19580071499.jpeg
    1CDD3A47-6BC5-415A-8CF6-C19580071499.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 3FA3489B-330E-4BCD-A651-85C7CA03DD37.jpeg
    3FA3489B-330E-4BCD-A651-85C7CA03DD37.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 79

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you used your probe to measure your basking surface temperatures yet? If you've only been relying on your IR gun for surface temps, it wouldn't hurt to move a probe down and let it rest on the basking site for 10 minutes and see what it reads. That will confirm your IR gun is accurate at least.

How long have you had Apolla?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have been struggling with the lighting. I thought my temps was right on spot but she hides all day while I’m at work. I place her in basking spot before work and she stays for maybe a hour than hides. My daughter feeds her around noon and she eats, bask for a hour and hides until I come home and place her on basking spot and she stays until lights out 2 hours later. All my lighting info I filled out, or can provide info as needed, thanks. Her current location is the orange room because I thought the dog barking was scaring her.
What is the screen like on your tank? Is it a fine mesh or a wide holed type? What brand and bulb are you using? Is it a T 8 or T 5? Distance and placement depend on the bulb-

mantronics

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apolla
Have you used your probe to measure your basking surface temperatures yet? If you've only been relying on your IR gun for surface temps, it wouldn't hurt to move a probe down and let it rest on the basking site for 10 minutes and see what it reads. That will confirm your IR gun is accurate at least.

-Brandon
[/

-Brandon
I have a probe laying on the basking rock and the temps taking with both are not that far off,1-2 degrees. I do hvac, and have taken the ir gun to work to check with new certified calibrated ones. I have had her since 5/21

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Then there is really nothing wrong in your setup, your diet looks fine too.

She could just be slowing down for a bit. Has she always acted like this?
How recent was the move to the new room?

Ultimately, if she's acting healthy, not losing large amounts of weight, and is having normal looking poos, you have nothing to worry about.

-Brandon

mantronics

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apolla
the holes are large enough to stick a u-bole through it. Zoo med t5 ho 10, 36 inch I have had the uvb from 12–16 inches from basking spot trying to figure it out. 16 is where it sits now on top of cage. I have a par 38 90 halogen for basking and have used a zoo med 100w spot, trying to figure this out

Attachments

• B4D4A370-1E32-4950-A03E-2682DAEFDDF9.jpeg
    B4D4A370-1E32-4950-A03E-2682DAEFDDF9.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 76

mantronics

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apolla
Then there is really nothing wrong in your setup, your diet looks fine too.

She could just be slowing down for a bit. Has she always acted like this?
How recent was the move to the new room?

Ultimately, if she's acting healthy, not losing large amounts of weight, and is having normal looking poos, you have nothing to worry about.

-Brandon
Her poops are once a week,Sunday or Monday. The move was within two weeks. She has never did a full day of basking like I have read. It has alway been a fight to get her to bask, that’s why I have been reading forums and trying to figure out if it’s my lights. She eats everyday, but just lays out of the light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
the holes are large enough to stick a u-bole through it. Zoo med t5 ho 10, 36 inch I have had the uvb from 12–16 inches from basking spot trying to figure it out. 16 is where it sits now on top of cage. I have a par 38 90 halogen for basking and have used a zoo med 100w spot, trying to figure this out
Your screen on the tank is good for the UVB to sit on top please adjust your basking decor underneath to 8-10 inches --you have the distance set up for inside the tank -- make sure your getting basking surface temps of 95-100 watch the behavior after getting lighting adjusted and see what she does --

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like it's just her personality then. They all are different. You can try lowering the basking temp a few degrees and see what that does. I had an adult that would basically refuse to bask if her basking spot wasn't 98 exactly. You can try playing around with different temps and see what tends to get her more active...

.. Or, you can let be. She seems healthy to me.

-Brandon

mantronics

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apolla
Her poops are once a week,Sunday or Monday. The move was within two weeks. She has never did a full day of basking like I have read. It has alway been a fight to get her to bask, that’s why I have been reading forums and trying to figure out if it’s my lights. She eats everyday, but just lays out of the light.
Sounds like it's just her personality then. They all are different. You can try lowering the basking temp a few degrees and see what that does. I had an adult that would basically refuse to bask if her basking spot wasn't 98 exactly. You can try playing around with different temps and see what tends to get her more active...

.. Or, you can let be. She seems healthy to me.

-Brandon
Ok,thanks

mantronics

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apolla
Your screen on the tank is good for the UVB to sit on top please adjust your basking decor underneath to 8-10 inches --you have the distance set up for inside the tank -- make sure your getting basking surface temps of 95-100 watch the behavior after getting lighting adjusted and see what she does --
Ok, thank you

mantronics

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Apolla
Thanks for answering the questions and helping me with my worries. I did build up to the uvb lights and in essence lowered the basking light. She does bask for longer periods now. 🍻

Attachments

• 8FA51E85-1A8D-4EBD-AB98-DC1BB1EB5656.jpeg
    8FA51E85-1A8D-4EBD-AB98-DC1BB1EB5656.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 79
  • FA820C3F-75CA-407E-B96D-4274F3AA077C.jpeg
    FA820C3F-75CA-407E-B96D-4274F3AA077C.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom