need help with behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurell

I just bought a female beardie as company and partner for the male beardie we allready have.
He really likes her and has shown his black beard really fast. He is however a lil agressive. He really jumps on her ( she doesn't give a respond to his headbobbing) and licks her neck. He also gives little pushes with his head against her neck.
In the beginning when they just met he "bit" her tail like 2 times. he leaves her alone from time to time but just jumps on her suddenly.

is this all normal???? kinda worried.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Bearded dragons are solitary animals and should not be together for purposes other than breeding. Keeping them together typically ends up with the male over breeding the female or with one or both of them missing toes, feet or tails.

The less dominate one (female, in this case) will be constantly stressed out and more than likely will stop eating and become lethargic.

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
aurell":d59c0 said:
I just bought a female beardie as company and partner for the male beardie we allready have.
He really likes her and has shown his black beard really fast. He is however a lil agressive. He really jumps on her ( she doesn't give a respond to his headbobbing) and licks her neck. He also gives little pushes with his head against her neck.
In the beginning when they just met he "bit" her tail like 2 times. he leaves her alone from time to time but just jumps on her suddenly.

is this all normal???? kinda worried.

i would say seperate them immediately as the previous poster said. your female may become very stressed out. have you seen them mate at all? the male biting/licking at her neck is usually a sign of mating i believe.. how old is your female?

aurell

Original Poster
Well he's just over 1 year and she just became 2 years old.

It was all fine today though. They leave each other alone ( besides the occasional touching or crawling over each other). So the peace has been restored. he's digging in his cave and she's still exploring the terra a bit. Both are very relaxed with each other right now.

Any ideas?? there are no more agressive signs and such.

aurell

Original Poster
akingsley9000":210f2 said:
Bearded dragons are solitary animals and should not be together for purposes other than breeding. Keeping them together typically ends up with the male over breeding the female or with one or both of them missing toes, feet or tails.

The less dominate one (female, in this case) will be constantly stressed out and more than likely will stop eating and become lethargic.

euhm something completely different for a minute.....what is your beardie wearing on the pictures??? some kind of harnas??

carmallarm

Hatchling Member
Definitely separate your Beardies. It was a sweet idea to want a companion for your pet, but Beardies aren't like people. They don't need other Beardies to be happy. All they need is proper lighting and food, and daily interaction with you, their owner. As another member of this forum once said, Beardies are solitary animals, and each one deserves his own domain.

The previous owners of the Beardies I have now bought them together at a pet store as babies, and kept them together because they were "so cute" and "got along really well together". Well, surprise surprise, Draco (my male rescue) has a tail nip, and Sunny (my female rescue) was gravid when I adopted her, even though she was only just over a year old, and even then, Draco kept head-bobbing at her and kicking her out of all the nice basking spots.

Since I've separated the, each dragon has become a lot calmer, and each now has free range of their terrariums, as well as first dibs on food and basking spots. They really aren't meant to be housed together unless you want eggs, and I don't know why anyone would voluntarily go through that process unless they are fully committed to spending hours and hours online researching breeding info and hundreds of dollars raising babies.

Trust me, your Beardies will be much happier in their own space, and you don't want to put your female through the stress of laying eggs unless you've fully researched the risks, costs, and possible health risks to your Beardie, and even then, they should be kept in separate cages at all times other than when you're planning on having them breed, before which you need to put them through a period of brumation, vitamin supplements, etc. It's not a process I would recommend unless you're completely prepared.

Good luck, and enjoy your new Beardie!

PS. Just in case your female has already been impregnated, you may want to look into extra calcium supplements. All you need now would be an early case of MBD due to low levels of calcium during egg formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom