Need Help With Beardie Diet- vet not helping much

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

This year, Drogon had a rough shed that put him in a bad mood and he's been having issues with his diet since March. When I took him to the vet, she suggested only providing greens and giving him more baths for pooping troubles. He's been okay with baths, but he just won't eat. I've literally tried everything:
- Adding a variety of colorful veg
-Flavored calcium
-Bee pollen

It's been three weeks so i finally gave in and added 3 supers with his mixed veg and nothing. His temps are between 96-105 (I have multiple shelves so he can pick what he wants) UVB is almost due in June, but I take him out almost every day for natural UVB.

What am I doing wrong? I feel like such a bad beardie mom and I'm trying my best with him! :( The vet said he's a bit overweight but how can I even help him when he wont eat veg??

-A worried Selkie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Everyone!

This year, Drogon had a rough shed that put him in a bad mood and he's been having issues with his diet since March. When I took him to the vet, she suggested only providing greens and giving him more baths for pooping troubles. He's been okay with baths, but he just won't eat. I've literally tried everything:
- Adding a variety of colorful veg
-Flavored calcium
-Bee pollen

It's been three weeks so i finally gave in and added 3 supers with his mixed veg and nothing. His temps are between 96-105 (I have multiple shelves so he can pick what he wants) UVB is almost due in June, but I take him out almost every day for natural UVB.

What am I doing wrong? I feel like such a bad beardie mom and I'm trying my best with him! :( The vet said he's a bit overweight but how can I even help him when he wont eat veg??

-A worried Selkie
Change the uvb out now-- 10-11 months for a T 5 - then watch the behavior- start there first

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Change the uvb out now-- 10-11 months for a T 5 - then watch the behavior- start there first
I will. I do also provide natural UVB every day, so what other suggestions do you have

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Salads are hard, they are very stubborn about eating them. If you haven't tried, offer hornworms or silkworms. If you withhold those and only offer sporadically they go crazy for them. Silkworms are a good staple.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will. I do also provide natural UVB every day, so what other suggestions do you have
The natural uvb should be helping- is he eating the insects only ? As stated above it is very hard to get them to eat salads- you can try silkworms on top of the salads they stick to everything or some bsfl

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Salads are hard, they are very stubborn about eating them. If you haven't tried, offer hornworms or silkworms. If you withhold those and only offer sporadically they go crazy for them. Silkworms are a good staple.
I did have some hornworms that he enjoyed. Oddly enough, I even put some supers on top of the salad since i was desperate and he just looked at it like -___-

Im just so lost.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The natural uvb should be helping- is he eating the insects only ? As stated above it is very hard to get them to eat salads- you can try silkworms on top of the salads they stick to everything or some bsfl
Here's the thing: he's so damn lazy that he'll only take bugs from my hand. I put them in the salad bowl and usually he'll take them, especially if they're supers but today he was like .___. no.

Usually I top them with mealworms or mealie beetles but he hasn't budged. Idk what to do!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here's the thing: he's so damn lazy that he'll only take bugs from my hand. I put them in the salad bowl and usually he'll take them, especially if they're supers but today he was like .___. no.

Usually I top them with mealworms or mealie beetles but he hasn't budged. Idk what to do!
Just keep offering salads- hiccup didn't eat salads for years he's 5 now - he is now finally eating them for the last year-- but I was persistent and kept feeding them - I tried everything as well- stop feeding the bugs by hand and let him eat them on his own he won't starve himself

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Just keep offering salads- hiccup didn't eat salads for years he's 5 now - he is now finally eating them for the last year-- but I was persistent and kept feeding them - I tried everything as well- stop feeding the bugs by hand and let him eat them on his own he won't starve himself
So bugs with the salad are okay? Honestly I think it's the only way he's ever gonna eat some veg. I chop the veg really small so he accidently eats some when aiming for a bug 😂

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
@xp29
@KarrieRee

Hey guys have you tried critical care herbivore mix? A friend says she uses it when her dragons don't wanna eat greens

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
@xp29
@KarrieRee

Hey guys have you tried critical care herbivore mix? A friend says she uses it when her dragons don't wanna eat greens
It is recommended by vets for dragons that are sick - usually if they are losing weight- I have fed it in the past - it is some good stuff --- but I would not recommend force feeding it if the dragon is refusing to eat his salads -- other causes need to be ruled out first as to why the dragon is not eating or if he is being a typical dragon and being picky and only wanting worms and insects -- :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
@xp29
@KarrieRee

I've used it with fantastic results, but it's usually been after giving meds. Antibiotics really screws with their appetite and the critical care filled in the gaps. One of the vets gave Zen an enema after i told them not to and injured him. Critical care was the only thing i could get him to eat for months. I also gave it to Ruby after both clutches of eggs 🥚. She seemed to bounce back within a few day. Ruby is a rescue that was in such bad shape when i got her that she couldn't use her back legs at all. Luckily the eggs came after i had her well into recovery, but i think the critical care made the difference after clutching. (For the record she is in very good health now, she is clumsy but runs all over).
I forget how old your beardie is, if still smaller than adult they also have carnivore critical care.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
It is recommended by vets for dragons that are sick - usually if they are losing weight- I have fed it in the past - it is some good stuff --- but I would not recommend force feeding it if the dragon is refusing to eat his salads -- other causes need to be ruled out first as to why the dragon is not eating or if he is being a typical dragon and being picky and only wanting worms and insects -- :)
Oh he's being typical all right. Made him a nice salad and he went straight for the bugs. Every time he was chewing I snuck in some argula and he made a weird growling noise like he was annoyed 🤣

I wasn't gonna force feed but just use the drip syringe method or make my own dragon smoothies and give it to him that way. I am so done with his attitude lol
What do u think?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I've used it with fantastic results, but it's usually been after giving meds. Antibiotics really screws with their appetite and the critical care filled in the gaps. One of the vets gave Zen an enema after i told them not to and injured him. Critical care was the only thing i could get him to eat for months. I also gave it to Ruby after both clutches of eggs 🥚. She seemed to bounce back within a few day. Ruby is a rescue that was in such bad shape when i got her that she couldn't use her back legs at all. Luckily the eggs came after i had her well into recovery, but i think the critical care made the difference after clutching. (For the record she is in very good health now, she is clumsy but runs all over).
I forget how old your beardie is, if still smaller than adult they also have carnivore critical care.
Drogon is about 4 now :) I was going to use this since I just tried to feed him a nice salad with small mealie beetles and went right for them..I tried sneaking some arugula in his mouth and he made an almost growling noise like he was annoyed lol 😆

Do you think making my own dragon green smoothies is best at this point and using drip syringe?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom