Need help with a prescription please

Brad85

Hi,
My beardie had been put on Meloxidyl for pain and some inflammation. I was reading the back of the box and it talks about dogs and mg and looking over the forums it seems like most dragons are put on once a day.

The dose we were prescribed is .14 ml every 12 hours. Does that seem right? I just want to double check to be sure it’s absolutely safe at that amount. Tried doing a web search but most I see talks about dogs only.

Thank you,
Brad

Subion

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hi,
My beardie had been put on Meloxidyl for pain and some inflammation. I was reading the back of the box and it talks about dogs and mg and looking over the forums it seems like most dragons are put on once a day.

The dose we were prescribed is .14 ml every 12 hours. Does that seem right? I just want to double check to be sure it’s absolutely safe at that amount. Tried doing a web search but most I see talks about dogs only.

Thank you,
Brad
I’ve had my girl on a small dose I believe once daily. It was like a year ago so I can’t remember the exact amount. @Drache613 should be able to help you more unless someone else knows.

Brad85

Original Poster
I’ve had my girl on a small dose I believe once daily. It was like a year ago so I can’t remember the exact amount. @Drache613 should be able to help you more unless someone else knows.
Thank you. I’m just trying to find out since I’m suppose to start my dragon on it tonight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Brad,

Sorry for the delay. What is the Meloxicam being given for, what type of ailment does your
dragon have?
I do need your dragon's weight in grams or KG & if you have a picture of the bottle of the
Meloxicam or the strength of the solution that would help. It may list the mg/ml on the bottle.
This medication can cause side effects & upset stomachs, too if too much is given. I wouldn't
overdo it on this medication. Maybe you can give just once daily to be sure she doesn't have
a reaction to it.

Tracie

Brad85

Original Poster
Hello Brad,

Sorry for the delay. What is the Meloxicam being given for, what type of ailment does your
dragon have?
I do need your dragon's weight in grams or KG & if you have a picture of the bottle of the
Meloxicam or the strength of the solution that would help. It may list the mg/ml on the bottle.
This medication can cause side effects & upset stomachs, too if too much is given. I wouldn't
overdo it on this medication. Maybe you can give just once daily to be sure she doesn't have
a reaction to it.

Tracie
Hello Brad,

dragon have?
a reaction to it.

Tracie
Thank you for the help. They didn’t do the weight in the room this visit. Last time they told me he was around 5 grams. That was about a month ago.

The symptoms I took him to the vet was for some swelling in paw and legs, lost of appetite and seems like he is sleepy all the time. They said blood work all looked good except wbc was a little elevated. He acts like his paw is painful to touch or move and shakes some. So they wanted him on the med for help with pain but also since it would help with inflammation. The vet felt like he it could be a muscle injury or something similar that they can’t test for here. We were told the bones look good and the amino acid levels are lower than normal so it’s not gout or any skeletal issues.

I’m suppose to let them know next week if there is any change then go from there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 51

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
Wow, he was just 5 grams? That is probably what they dosed the medication with.
Personally I would only give one dose daily. Two doses is too much. They don't really even
know what is causing the swelling?
Do you have pictures you could post too just so we can see his condition? Thanks.

Tracie

Brad85

Original Poster
Hello,

How is he doing today?
Wow, he was just 5 grams? That is probably what they dosed the medication with.
Personally I would only give one dose daily. Two doses is too much. They don't really even
know what is causing the swelling?
Do you have pictures you could post too just so we can see his condition? Thanks.

Tracie
I’m sorry I got it mixed up. I’m not good with the grams system and a lot on my mind. It was around 500g. They were talking so much about different things I may have mixed it up with his meds dosages they wanted to mix. they were trying to do the math in the room and said something along the line of him being 5 so I think that’s what got me confused. They were talking grams, milligrams and all that so it was a bunch of numbers I didn’t understand. When I looked over his old paper work notes they wrote out by hand it looked like it also said 5grams. Handwriting was not easy to follow and looking close enough it does look like they had a couple very small 0s that is hard to see. Sorry for the confusion.

But yes right now they aren’t sure what’s causing the swelling. They are just sure it’s not gout since his blood work looks normal. Also no Signs of injury on X-ray. So that’s why they are hoping the meds help and it could just be a muscle injury or something along those lines. If not they want to run more tests if the meds don’t work. I’ll try to get a pic of the paw tonight when I get home.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh ok, thanks! Then that dose is fine. Depending on how he is responding to it, you could just
give once daily but that is up to you. I wouldn't keep him on it long term though, it is hard on the
system.
If you can possibly get a copy of the bloodwork, that would be great. Is it just one foot/hand that
is swollen then?
It is extremely easy to get numbers mixed up when converting weights & doses, absolutely!
How is he doing today?
Thanks, let us know how he is coming along.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom