Need Help To Identify...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TariStar

Juvie Member
Hey all! long time no talk. Well today I was clocking out from work (A wholesale club), the maintenance guy was taking the dust broom across the floor and he, I and several other people were talking when all of a sudden we see something move in the hole on the broom duster. One girl jumps on the chair, and of course I jump up to get a cup to put it in. Well I finally get him out and showed him off. Took him to Petsmart but 4 girls who work there had no idea.

I'm in Syracuse, New York. I've looked over the internet for local snakes and have found one that comes close but I'd like some input from people who may know more.

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

TariStar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm hoping that he proves to be something native so that come spring I can let him go. So far things are looking good. I'm also looking into the possibility that its a Northern Water Snake. I tried to feed him two small crickets but he didn't go for it.

TariStar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
A Uni professor suggested some type of Rat Snake.

:-( He was unsure though, suggested getting a clearer photo of the face and sending it to another professor. I'd really like a positive ID so I know what I can do with him.

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
It would help to have a full body picture from above... More of the markings would definitely give a clearer chance of determining it's species.
Things we know:
Probably New York Native
Colubrid

Changed my mind...looks like a Northern Water Snake ( Nerodia sipedon sipedon). If he's a NWS, he'll probably go right after things like worms and minnows (offered in his water dish.
God Bless,
Aaron

TariStar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I just moved him to a bigger container so I could add a bigger water bowl, so far he hasn't moved from the spot he landed in. I've noticed more this "7" like white area on his back, in the photos its to the right of his face. I'm curious about this marking now. You can secondary click and "View Image" for a slightly bigger one.

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

Some better shots of his patterns. I was going to go for a head shot with better focus but my batteries died.

Edit note: He didn't go straight for the water, but when I dripped some next to him and it got to his mouth he started drinking voraciously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom