Need Help! Don’t know if this is tail rot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shore

Hey all. My beardie has been doing fine since I got him. I noticed discoloration in his tail and it looks withered and fragile. I do not know if this is tail rot, but I can make the appropriate decision once I know what is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any info. Thanks!

Attachments

• 877B73CD-6F96-4DD9-9DDE-9E54F846C18F.jpeg
    877B73CD-6F96-4DD9-9DDE-9E54F846C18F.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 155
  • F23B5568-6B3A-4784-94B4-EB961135EB97.jpeg
    F23B5568-6B3A-4784-94B4-EB961135EB97.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 107

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Looks like the tail on your dragon has been subject to a fair bit of damage (and he's already lost part of it).

Also looks like he has only shed part of the of the skin on his tail at the moment making things harder to see. In the first picture it looks like he's possibly going to lose another small section of the tip.

How old is he because in the pics he still looks quite young and the damage could be as a result of fellow tankmates biting his tail before you got him.

Last edited:

Shore

Original Poster
I’ve had him since November of last year. It could be that but his tail used to look fine. I’m sending an old picture of him. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• A4AE7542-5434-4614-BBA5-4A6D3724D8D1.jpeg
    A4AE7542-5434-4614-BBA5-4A6D3724D8D1.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 99

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
I take it your dragon is housed alone. If thats the case then theres definitely something going on there. From what I can see through the dead skin on the tail tip theres still normal colouring there but in a couple of other sections there does look like theres some possible blackening. It could be the onset of tail rot.

Shore

Original Poster
Alright I’ll put see if I can fix it using home remedies. If not I’ll take him to a exotic pet veterinarian. Do you think I’ve caught it early?

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Alright I’ll put see if I can fix it using home remedies. If not I’ll take him to a exotic pet veterinarian. Do you think I’ve caught it early?
Yep as it gets more advanced it would cover a complete section of the tail. This entire section would look dark and brittle with a withered look

Shore

Original Poster
Yep as it gets more advanced it would cover a complete section of the tail. This entire section would look dark and brittle with a withered look
Okay. I soaked his tail in betadine and then coated it in neosporin. I saw a couple people say that it helps. I will continue to do this each day and see if it gets better. If it doesn’t I’ll go to the vet. Thanks for the info.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Okay. I soaked his tail in betadine and then coated it in neosporin. I saw a couple people say that it helps. I will continue to do this each day and see if it gets better. If it doesn’t I’ll go to the vet. Thanks for the info.
You should be able to get a clearer look once the rest of that shed comes off

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to get some raw unpasteurized honey on it asap too that's going to kill the infection

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely try to start using some raw unpasteurized honey to help out with any infection. Do you know
how the tail was damaged?

Tracie

Shore

Original Poster
Hello,

Definitely try to start using some raw unpasteurized honey to help out with any infection. Do you know
how the tail was damaged?

Tracie
I have no idea. I couldn’t think of anything that could have happened to him that could have caused this. I just want to make sure my little guy is alright. I’ll look into getting some of that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom