Need help ASAP!!

alyssa2704

Hi, My beardie is 4 years old and his femoral pores keep getting more and more clogged. I also feel he has an impaction but can’t tell if he’s just abit chubby.

I’m bathing him in warm water to try and make his pores more soft and going over them lightly with a cotton bud to try and loosen them abit. Will they eventually come unclogged? He has a lot of wood in his vivarium but he doesn’t seem to be able to rub them enough to loosen the clogged parts.

For his potential impaction : He still has his appetite. he ate 2 blueberries today and i fed him cricket’s yesterday (i do give him varied greens but he’s very fussy with his vegetables and fruits and he sometimes won’t eat them). but he hasn’t done a poo for awhile. the last one he did was around 1 week ago but potentially less than a week ago. I’m giving him massages on his stomach to try and get everything moving. Is this something that is of urgency?

I’m in an area where going to an vet that specifies in reptiles isn’t an option unless i want to travel.

Please advise me!! Here are some pics below for reference.

Attachments

• DBF6F77A-1F5A-4C97-867E-D9534D8854A1.jpeg
    DBF6F77A-1F5A-4C97-867E-D9534D8854A1.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 104
  • 231C07EB-8B78-4CBB-B7C9-A7C7A20C9CD5.jpeg
    231C07EB-8B78-4CBB-B7C9-A7C7A20C9CD5.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 1958AB2C-AC97-42A4-BCB9-CDC1BC344A45.jpeg
    1958AB2C-AC97-42A4-BCB9-CDC1BC344A45.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 69

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, My beardie is 4 years old and his femoral pores keep getting more and more clogged. I also feel he has an impaction but can’t tell if he’s just abit chubby.

I’m bathing him in warm water to try and make his pores more soft and going over them lightly with a cotton bud to try and loosen them abit. Will they eventually come unclogged? He has a lot of wood in his vivarium but he doesn’t seem to be able to rub them enough to loosen the clogged parts.

For his potential impaction : He still has his appetite. he ate 2 blueberries today and i fed him cricket’s yesterday (i do give him varied greens but he’s very fussy with his vegetables and fruits and he sometimes won’t eat them). but he hasn’t done a poo for awhile. the last one he did was around 1 week ago but potentially less than a week ago. I’m giving him massages on his stomach to try and get everything moving. Is this something that is of urgency?

I’m in an area where going to an vet that specifies in reptiles isn’t an option unless i want to travel.

Please advise me!! Here are some pics below for reference.
Get some coconut oil and rub on the pores till they are soft - then gently squeeze them -- dragons can take long times before they poop -- it is not uncommon for them to go weeks a month w / out pooping - if hes got to right surface basking temps and correct UVB and placement hes good --

alyssa2704

Original Poster
He has a 100W heat basking spotlight and i have been using the same brand of UVB that the reptile shop i went to have given me. His thermostat is saying everything is okay too.
I’ve heard about the coconut oil method but wasn’t too sure if i should do it because i saw about how it can lead to infections if you push it out. Any recs on how to make it not become infected? but thank you sm for the help !

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The best thing to do with his pores is give him a piece of stone to rub them on. Use Sandstone, limestone,basalt, granite, ect. Beyond that you shouldn't mess with them, they are part of their anatomy and if you manage to "pop" them out, your going to leave a gaping hole and invite an infection. All males develop them, if you give him something to rub on he will take care of them himself.

alyssa2704

Original Poster
The best thing to do with his pores is give him a piece of stone to rub them on. Use Sandstone, limestone,basalt, granite, ect. Beyond that you shouldn't mess with them, they are part of their anatomy and if you manage to "pop" them out, your going to leave a gaping hole and invite an infection. All males develop them, if you give him something to rub on he will take care of them himself.
Okay will do. I’m just worried because they seem to be becoming more clogged and some are even protruding out. Is this something he will do over a long period of time or should he be able to rub it out pretty quick. i’m not sure when to get professional help involved

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He has a 100W heat basking spotlight and i have been using the same brand of UVB that the reptile shop i went to have given me. His thermostat is saying everything is okay too.
I’ve heard about the coconut oil method but wasn’t too sure if i should do it because i saw about how it can lead to infections if you push it out. Any recs on how to make it not become infected? but thank you sm for the help !
Blaze has trouble w/ his pores - I have been using coconut oil on his and when they are real soft they will pop right out ---

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would be hesitant about taking him to the vet for it, there has been a couple threads in the last 6 months or so where the vet did more harm than good, one ended with the beardie dying. I'm not trying to scare you, just to make you aware it can happen, if a vet doesn't really know beardies it can end in tragedy. I would use the oil like Karrieree said and give him a stone and just monitor him for a few weeks. If they aren't causing him pain you can take the time to see if it works.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, males just have the pores & the waxy substance is hormonal which in the wild they use
for mating, etc. He will be fine.
Coconut oil, or even silver gel will soften them some. Just getting something for him to be able
to rub them down on should help immensely for him.
If he is a little impacted, giving sugar free applesauce & canned or fresh pumpkin with a few drops
of organic olive or coconut oil should help him out. Give some oral fluids daily or every other day is
helpful as well.

Tracie

alyssa2704

Original Poster
I would be hesitant about taking him to the vet for it, there has been a couple threads in the last 6 months or so where the vet did more harm than good, one ended with the beardie dying. I'm not trying to scare you, just to make you aware it can happen, if a vet doesn't really know beardies it can end in tragedy. I would use the oil like Karrieree said and give him a stone and just monitor him for a few weeks. If they aren't causing him pain you can take the time to see if it works.
thank you !!

alyssa2704

Original Poster
Hello,

Yes, males just have the pores & the waxy substance is hormonal which in the wild they use
for mating, etc. He will be fine.
Coconut oil, or even silver gel will soften them some. Just getting something for him to be able
to rub them down on should help immensely for him.
If he is a little impacted, giving sugar free applesauce & canned or fresh pumpkin with a few drops
of organic olive or coconut oil should help him out. Give some oral fluids daily or every other day is
helpful as well.

Tracie
thank you so much !!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how he is doing. Feel free to post more pictures of him, once you have gotten the
pores reduced some. It is normal & he should be alright.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, I hope he likes the slate tile, it should work out well for him. Definitely keep us posted on
him & his pores, too. :)

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom