Need advice on uvb fixture size for new tank

Brad85

I was looking to get this new enclosure for my bearded dragon. It’s a 48x18x18. What size uvb fixture would you recommend? Some places online say one that covers 2/3 the cage. a local pet shop says a 36” fixture (bulb be 34”) would be the way to go but I don’t know if that would be to big. I’m planning to mount it inside and my beardie does have a hide away to get out of it. I’m planning to mount it inside so the wires will make it stretch a little further to the other side of the cage.

Just looking to get some ideas so I know what to get.

Thank you

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I have a 36", but most use a 24". It's not centered across the length, but pushed down to the hot end, so that the cool end is a place to get out of the UVB if Sir Henry wants. Front to back, it is pushed to the front with my basking bulb right behind it. Inside is good, and you'll want it 12-15" above the basking decor.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was looking to get this new enclosure for my bearded dragon. It’s a 48x18x18. What size uvb fixture would you recommend? Some places online say one that covers 2/3 the cage. a local pet shop says a 36” fixture (bulb be 34”) would be the way to go but I don’t know if that would be to big. I’m planning to mount it inside and my beardie does have a hide away to get out of it. I’m planning to mount it inside so the wires will make it stretch a little further to the other side of the cage.

Just looking to get some ideas so I know what to get.

Thank you
All of these would use a 24" fixture --- the Repti Zoo has a wide hole screen not sure how thick it is but a possibility of the UVB sitting on top --- but that depends on how thick that screen is

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Personally i aways recommend 1/2 to 2/3, i like having good exposure but you have got to give a place to get out of it if they want to. I also try to make sure i have good overlap between the uvb and basking light. They will move around to get what they need.

Brad85

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I have a friend that has a solar meter so I’m fine with getting the right range for uvb so that won’t be an issue. Just trying to find out the right size fixture and go from there. Didn’t want to get one the wrong size.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As long as your beardie can get into the right range of uvb, it will seek it out and go there. Thats the most important part, just to have access to the right range of uvb.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom