Need advice on this.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I posted this under his other post. But, I decided to post this with a little more detail.

His last vet visit, I grew concerned with the condition of his mouth and jaw. He fights me every time I touch his mouth. Even cleaning. Even checking. He doesn't want anyone touching his mouth. So, when I took him to the vet, I desperately wanted the vet to look in his mouth. The vet tried to open his mouth to look at his teeth and he bit him hard on his fingers. Told me his mouth was greenish black. (He just ate purees then.) I didn't brush his teeth when I took him out.
The vet had to take care of his bleeding hand. We concluded the visit. Went home. Started to nurse him back to health. He has a lump on his jaw bone and portion of his beard. It's hard and round. Even my Mom felt it and asked what it was. I told her I don't know what it is and you can't see it on photos well. I'd take a photo if I could.

As for the inside of his mouth, I haven't been able to 'get a photo because he's quick to close his mouth.

I've been brushing his teeth with the oral cleansing gel every day w/ a qtip. (I hope that's not too much.) But, for what it was worth, I decided to treat his mouth daily after eating or before bed. Sometimes, he'll let me massage the gel into his teeth and gums. Sometimes, he'll fight me. I do cover him when I do this. He still doesn't like it, but lets me do it.

What does a hard lump mean?
His vet here does try to examine him. He's in 'good' health, according to the vet. His last fecal was negative for parasites. He does eat with help which is good. He won't eat but once a day or twice a day if fed bugs.

I also have given some thought of surrendering him to a rescue to get him to the vet care he needs with another vet. But, they told me was to sign him over to them and they would foster him. When they wrote to me saying that they would only talk if I relinquished care over to them. It broke my heart! I had him since he was a baby. I'm attached to him. If it were possible, I would make the trip 2 hours away. I really would, but my car is 20+ years. I have thought of renting a car, but they're so expensive and I would need to have extra donations to my gofundme. The last time I ever rented a car from Enterprise, it was $200+.

I want what's best for him. I just ordered small bugs for him to eat.
I gave him an juvenile dubia. Chewed on it, then spat it out. He didn't want it.

I'm torn between surrendering him to a rescue and running my gofundme again with the hopes of finding out what this lump really is.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update: I think the tissue is going down. It may be granulation tissue(?). I have been keeping his mouth clean after eating by using warm tap water.

He's perked up a little since eating buggos that he can tolerate.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Another question. I have noticed a 'strange smell'. I don't know if it's from him or the raspberry stuff I'm using or it's the kidney powder stuff. I don't smell anything in his mouth. Maybe it's his silkworm stuff and raspberry stuff.
Would raw pure honey be ok to put on the part where it looks like 'tissue'? I heard a lot of things externally. I'm sure a small dab won't hurt.
I have pure honey 100% unfiltered. He's cuddled up on me cold for some reason. He's doesn't want me to go out today.

Ok, so I gave him a soak bath with some bearded dragon friendly lavender soap. He had that smell from his little supplements that he dribbles.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
To answer your question the raw honey would not hurt him, but i think everyone recommends diluting it with warm water.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I figured out why he 'smelled'. It's his powders he likes on his greens. They smell ok. They're not bad.
Mr. Maya has been worried about me. I haven't been acting like I normally do so he suspected something was wrong. He would attract my attention and wait for me to come over. He'd crawl into my hand and then sit himself on my arm to be picked up. He was trying to help me with a pain in my back and seeing me cry from the pain.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Animals understand and will absolutely try to bring comfort, even beardies. That's part of why we love them.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm sure he does sense it. Last night was different. He looked at me and licked his lips. He used to do this whenever he was hungry. I made him a full salad topped with the powders and squash. With my help, he ate all of his dinner. Proud of him. He would only eat once a day. I think he's improving baby steps.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So, Raspberry Breath, aka Maya, is doing alright. Eating twice a day with handfeeding. Raspberry breath dribbles his silkworm enzyme, calcium, kidney function powder water concoction all over his beard. He smells of Raspberries. How do I clean my Raspberry breath smelling boy? I've tried water. I've tried chlorhexidine.
What do you recommend? I love the smell of raspberries and I guess he does to because he'll lick his lip all night long. lol.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom