Need advice on this.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I posted this under his other post. But, I decided to post this with a little more detail.

His last vet visit, I grew concerned with the condition of his mouth and jaw. He fights me every time I touch his mouth. Even cleaning. Even checking. He doesn't want anyone touching his mouth. So, when I took him to the vet, I desperately wanted the vet to look in his mouth. The vet tried to open his mouth to look at his teeth and he bit him hard on his fingers. Told me his mouth was greenish black. (He just ate purees then.) I didn't brush his teeth when I took him out.
The vet had to take care of his bleeding hand. We concluded the visit. Went home. Started to nurse him back to health. He has a lump on his jaw bone and portion of his beard. It's hard and round. Even my Mom felt it and asked what it was. I told her I don't know what it is and you can't see it on photos well. I'd take a photo if I could.

As for the inside of his mouth, I haven't been able to 'get a photo because he's quick to close his mouth.

I've been brushing his teeth with the oral cleansing gel every day w/ a qtip. (I hope that's not too much.) But, for what it was worth, I decided to treat his mouth daily after eating or before bed. Sometimes, he'll let me massage the gel into his teeth and gums. Sometimes, he'll fight me. I do cover him when I do this. He still doesn't like it, but lets me do it.

What does a hard lump mean?
His vet here does try to examine him. He's in 'good' health, according to the vet. His last fecal was negative for parasites. He does eat with help which is good. He won't eat but once a day or twice a day if fed bugs.

I also have given some thought of surrendering him to a rescue to get him to the vet care he needs with another vet. But, they told me was to sign him over to them and they would foster him. When they wrote to me saying that they would only talk if I relinquished care over to them. It broke my heart! I had him since he was a baby. I'm attached to him. If it were possible, I would make the trip 2 hours away. I really would, but my car is 20+ years. I have thought of renting a car, but they're so expensive and I would need to have extra donations to my gofundme. The last time I ever rented a car from Enterprise, it was $200+.

I want what's best for him. I just ordered small bugs for him to eat.
I gave him an juvenile dubia. Chewed on it, then spat it out. He didn't want it.

I'm torn between surrendering him to a rescue and running my gofundme again with the hopes of finding out what this lump really is.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If your surrender him, the odds he'll go to someone that cares as much as you are very low, i think he is better off with you.
If you can get pics of the lump, Tracie may be able to help you figure out whats going on.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If you can get him basking and warm enough to gape, you can get pics that way.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He's sitting under his lights now. Just pressed up against the glass. He loves to watch and judge people.

The first two photos are where it's at and he gvies the 'stink eye to the camera'.

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_113427593 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230526_113427593 (1).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230526_113415392.jpg
    IMG_20230526_113415392.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230526_121254175.jpg
    IMG_20230526_121254175.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 49

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It does look swollen, any chance brushing his teeth may be contributing to it?
I think i would send the pics to Tracie and see what she thinks, if you can get him to gape for pics of the inside it might be helpful also.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It does look swollen, any chance brushing his teeth may be contributing to it?
I think i would send the pics to Tracie and see what she thinks, if you can get him to gape for pics of the inside it might be helpful also.
I don't know. But, I did get the pics of the inside of his mouth.
I try to be gentle on his mouth.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I sent her a message. Hopefully, she'll have some answers.
Inside of his mouth. I'm so glad I got to take a photo.
I've been working on his teeth with oral cleansing gel. He has eaten. I may need to clean his mouth now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_124942989.jpg
    IMG_20230526_124942989.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 54

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It looks like he may be missing some teeth. If so its probably caused an abscess. Hopely Tracie will have advice for you. She is on late night btw.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh and i probably would hold up on cleaning them for a bit, the stuff your using could be irritating his gums if he is missing teeth.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok. So, I have to hand feed him buggos. He couldn't get enough of the phoenix worms and medium dubia roaches. I'll give him more tomorrow. He didn't eat a lot of his greens this morning. I don't force him to eat when he doesn't want it.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom