Need advice/help - sick, stressed, laboured breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbeardybaby

Hi, I’m so new to this - took my bearded baby to the vet and he is on panacur. Today was day two. He hadn’t eaten in about three days prior to the vet visit and was barely drinking water. He had some life to him and we added more heat as we thought brumation but the vet thought worms or parasite. We’ve only had him for just over a month and he is likely 3-6 months old and so tiny. He is getting worse today and barely moving, beard and sides and face turning black from stress (likely from prying his little mouth open to feed/medicate) and hasn’t had a poop in 24 hours. He is getting a few warm baths, 3 small syringe feedings and one with the medicine today and yesterday. Tonight he is breathing very hard and opening his mouth. I’m heartbroken and don’t know what to do. I would love suggestions. I’m sure there isn’t a miraculous cure at this point but I’ll try anything ???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need a good uvb no coils- basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- no stick ons temps 105-110-- it is not brumation babies do not brumate-- keep him warm if you haft to use a heating pad use it wrap it in a towel place on the tank temps around 80 would be good - I would set it on low-- a fecal should of been taken to test for parasites you don't prescribe meds just to give on a whim or guess- I am flagging your post to our vet tech mod she's on late at night

Newbeardybaby

Original Poster
Thanks, we have the right heat and temperature laser for checking and paper towel down and tile. At this point food is a dried powder we are adding water to and the meds once a day. There is no fecal to check unfortunately as previously it was so wet it was absorbed by reptile mat and now none. He is still hanging on and still breathing very slowly and the very abruptly for a big breath and then small slow shallow breaths with occasional mouth open for a breath and tongue to tip. Tried dripping a little water on in case he was thirsty but I’m just going to let him rest for the night. He appears bloated now as three tiny feedings and two short baths and no bowel movements.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of him you could post?
Did they do a fecal to determine worms or just decided it must be worms & treated? Was he
doing ok, before he was given panacur?
Based on how he is sounding, I would cease all medication right now. It sounds like possible
overdose, but not sure.
Do you have any activated charcoal? If not, you can also get some parsley, cilantro, mint &
oregano & make a paste/slurry to give to him. It can help with detoxing. If you have some
cranberry or black/tart cherry juice that can help flush out the kidneys also.
As Karrie suggests, keep him around 80 overnight to help boost his system.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Newbeardybaby

Original Poster
I think he may have passed in his sleep ? his eyes are very sunken in and I can’t see any breathing at the moment. He was only get like a drop of panacur like .1 of a ml which definitely is hard to measure. Do you think I gave him too much? I followed the vets advice. He was just a baby and I was told his chances were very little for recovery. Thanks to all who commented and helped.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is terrible news!! :( I am sorry-- what brought this on? We just lost another little one on here a day or two ago -- sometimes you get them and they seem fine then all of a sudden they turn for the worse -- and you dont know why is the worst thing about it -- I am sorry we couldnt help soon enough - since you dont know exactly what the cause was please disinfect your tank real good if you decide to try again - some F 10 off Walmarts website or some Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out - and please if you need help w/ setting the tank up w/ the lighting please ask - the lighting in the tank and basking temps are the TWO MOST important things in the tank for dragons-- they must be correct and I am so sorry about your little one ---

Newbeardybaby

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie

I really appreciate the tips and support. I have been consoling my kids this morning. Quite upset of course. We will disinfect everything. We actually bought a steamer to help keep things clean in case it was a parasite. We are going to soak most things in boiling water also.

Any other tips are welcome.

Amy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get some disinfectant to have on hand if you decide to try again --- its good to have that stuff on hand as they do get parasites and then your having to disinfect every time they poop -- but that is just for FYI--- the steam cleaner is a good thing too --- again I am sorry about the little baby - so many die and its just a shame -- if you need anymore help please ask we can help as much as we can :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Amy,

I am so sorry you lost your little one, that is horrible. :cry:
I am not sure exactly what happened. Was he ill prior to you going to the vets?
Sometimes they have trouble & you don't know they are so sick until they decline suddenly.
I hope your kids are going to be ok, it is particularly hard on them.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom