Need a little bit of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshelton3

Beardie name(s)
Bowser
I recently just came to getting a bearded dragon which I’m totally excited about. But I don’t know too much about them I know that they eat fruit and bugs and they like it pretty much dry. I was wondering are there any charts out there that say what fruit and vegetables they can and cannot eat and also what UVB is appropriate for them and just a basic care guide for them. Thanks 😊

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I recently just came to getting a bearded dragon which I’m totally excited about. But I don’t know too much about them I know that they eat fruit and bugs and they like it pretty much dry. I was wondering are there any charts out there that say what fruit and vegetables they can and cannot eat and also what UVB is appropriate for them and just a basic care guide for them. Thanks 😊
ok so first for the salad i'd say put collard greens and parsley in there as a staple and switch every other day to carrots and every other day do cucumber I know some people may disagree with me but it has worked perfectly for my beardie and not every beardie is going to like the same thing and if its a baby don't expect it to eat the salad because when their babies they eat 15% veggies 85% bugs and for bugs NEVER get freeze-dried ones as they have absolutely no nutrients I would say to give it 5-8 small crickets in the morning and 2-3 superworms in the evening or instead of superworms you could do more crickets
and for the uvb you need to have a tube light so one question for you...what size tank do you have? then you also need a basking bulb but for that I also need to know the size of the tank for that
lastly make sure you get a probe for the temp on the right and left side of the tank so you'd need two and then you need a hydrometer and that needs to stay between 35-40% humidity

Eshelton3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
ok so first for the salad i'd say put collard greens and parsley in there as a staple and switch every other day to carrots and every other day do cucumber I know some people may disagree with me but it has worked perfectly for my beardie and not every beardie is going to like the same thing and if its a baby don't expect it to eat the salad because when their babies they eat 15% veggies 85% bugs and for bugs NEVER get freeze-dried ones as they have absolutely no nutrients I would say to give it 5-8 small crickets in the morning and 2-3 superworms in the evening or instead of superworms you could do more crickets
and for the uvb you need to have a tube light so one question for you...what size tank do you have? then you also need a basking bulb but for that I also need to know the size of the tank for that
lastly make sure you get a probe for the temp on the right and left side of the tank so you'd need two and then you need a hydrometer and that needs to stay between 35-40% humidity
I have a 40 gallon size tank I believe 36x18x18. I bought a basking bulb of 100 watts.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug

This is something another user put together on how to build a good salad.

That heat lamp should be good for your tank, but it really is trial and error dialing in the temps. As Mango mentioned you want digital probe thermometers. Put the probe on the basking surface and wait 10 min. You want that temp to be around 110F while a baby and down to around 100F for adult.

For UVB, a ZooMed Retisun T5 hood with a 10.0 bulb (it comes with a 5.0; save that as a backup) or Arcadia ProT5 with a 12% bulb are top recommendations. I would go with a 24" for your tank, and if you ever upgrade to a larger size enclosure that size will be good up to a 48x24x24. Placement of the light will depend on if you have a screen top, how wide the holes are, and whether you will be placing it on top of the screen or underneath inside the tank.

Hope this helps!

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I have a 40 gallon size tank I believe 36x18x18. I bought a basking bulb of 100 watts.
Ok so with a forty gallon get a 24” uvb tube light and provide a spot for your beardie to get a little closer to the uvb if they need to the wattage is good for the basking bulb though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom