Need 2 Halogen Flood Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I’m on the Zen Habitats FB group, and there’s a guy there advocating that beardies need a double dome fixture with two halogen flood lights on a dimmer for optimal heating. I’ve always used one Zilla basking bulb (150w, no dimmer needed). Now I’m perplexed.

1) Are halogens better, or just cheaper?

2) Do I really need two flood lamps?

What do you folks recommend?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ask him why.

I'll give you a hint, it's his personal preference.. LOL.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree w/ Brandon - I have a Zen and use the 150 watt bulb as well - this winter I am using a extra bulb like a 75 as it has been really cold during the days here - and I run a CHE at nite thats a 100 watt - its keeping the tanks around 75 thru the nite -- I am turning the CHE's off during the day -- the room I have the dragons in is a warm room too w/ the door partially closed -- that too makes a difference - it is up to you and I am not sure about the halogen lights being hotter? I have never used them - does he have them suspended over the tank? Like on a stand where he can lower them or raise them? Mine sit on top of the mesh

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Incandescent bulbs actually have a better spectra (closer spectra to that of the sun) than halogen bulbs.

So better, really just depends on what aspect you are comparing too.

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
This is the image he keeps posting...

full

I don't say it's WRONG, but he was really, really snarky to me when I questioned if my Zilla bulb was a flood or spot light. "It should tell you something that you even need to ask that question." Sigh. I know the box says "Repti Basking Spot Lamp" - I just wasn't sure if it meant "basking spot" lamp or basking "spot lamp."

I will continue as I have been, then, because I'm keeping an eye on the temps, both ambient and on the basking platform, and Figment seems happy with everything so far. I'm not sure if this guy has his lights inside the tank or on the screen. Like you, Karrie, I do use a 150w on top of the screen about 14" over the basking platform. Night temps don't fall much below 70, so I haven't invested in a CHE yet, but the room stays quite warm because of the lights. I did put a 75w over the cool side during the latest cold snap for day use; ambient temps on the cool side stay around 75.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What the image is trying to show is that it's good to provide a wide area of UVB and high temps for them to bask under evenly. I agree with that idea as a solid one. What the image doesn't show is the distance the bulbs are from the basking area, and what the reflector angles are. If you raise a single light higher (and possibly use a higher wattage to achieve the same temps), you can provide a nice wide beam that is enough for an adult to bask under evenly. If you use lower wattage bulbs and/or bulbs that have a narrow beam due to the reflector, you can also cluster them to achieve a pretty similar result.

With UVB, you want to use a Solarmeter to check UV output to measure the width of the basking zone (Usually approximately 3-6UVI is good) It's simpler with basking lights. Just measure the surface temps across the basking area. If you're getting temps in the high 90s and low 100s in an area that is wide enough for your dragon to fit across completely, then you've achieved building an appropriate basking zone.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the input! I don't use a MVB in my basking area; I rely on my Arcadia tube UV for that... but I'll do some spot-checking of temps around the basking spot to make sure I'm hitting the right temps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom