Nasty Juvenile Dragon

SabrinaRose1220

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mario
In June I got a baby bearded dragon from Petsmart. I am feeding him between 10-15 dubia roaches 3 times a day. We have had him now over a month and he’s really nasty. We have never been able to handle him because he runs and glass surfs when we try to handle him. In the past few weeks, if we put our hand in the cage he lunges at us and tries to bites us which he has been successful a few times biting us.. I got him for my 7 year old so he can could have a pet to sit on his shirt and hang out but so far this has been a nightmare. Any help or suggestions on how to get him to be friendly?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
In June I got a baby bearded dragon from Petsmart. I am feeding him between 10-15 dubia roaches 3 times a day. We have had him now over a month and he’s really nasty. We have never been able to handle him because he runs and glass surfs when we try to handle him. In the past few weeks, if we put our hand in the cage he lunges at us and tries to bites us which he has been successful a few times biting us.. I got him for my 7 year old so he can could have a pet to sit on his shirt and hang out but so far this has been a nightmare. Any help or suggestions on how to get him to be friendly?
Please go over his uvb coil or long tube fixture? Where in the tank is it? Basking temps how are you getting them? You want surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- the behavior and overall health is contingent on this

Vampgutz

My suggestion would be to feed him some insect, and while he’s distracted eating them, very gently pet his backside. I‘ve done this with Bepis, my turtle, as well as two stray kittens that had turned up in my yard. I know he’s not either of them, but it could still work to a point.

It’s also good to note that Petsmart isn’t a very good company, nor is PetCo, so he may have had some bad treatment there or some other history that could have a factor in this behavior. Make sure he associates you with good things like food, and hopefully he’ll begin to warm up to you. I’d also make a note to be sure that your kid is aware that he can’t treat the beardie as a toy. I’m sure your kiddo may be aware of that already, but sometimes things happen when beardie’s are purchased for children, which can result in the poor treatment of the critter from the child. Just to be sure lol.

I’m not sure how old your beardie is, but they are very territorial, so that may be another factor. He may see your hand as an invader into his territory. As the last replier said, I’d make sure his temps are good and have an appropriate tube UVB. How big is your tank? If it’s not big enough, this may be a part of the issue. What kind of substrate are you using, also? Husbandry may play a part in this, so I’d be sure everything is appropriate.

SabrinaRose1220

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mario
Please go over his uvb coil or long tube fixture? Where in the tank is it? Basking temps how are you getting them? You want surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- the behavior and overall health is contingent on this
I have a heat light that stays around 95-101 degrees - I have a digital probe thermometer and around 80-85 on the cool side. I have a long uvb light that covers the other half of the cage. Overnight it goes to about 75-80 degrees.

SabrinaRose1220

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mario
My suggestion would be to feed him some insect, and while he’s distracted eating them, very gently pet his backside. I‘ve done this with Bepis, my turtle, as well as two stray kittens that had turned up in my yard. I know he’s not either of them, but it could still work to a point.

It’s also good to note that Petsmart isn’t a very good company, nor is PetCo, so he may have had some bad treatment there or some other history that could have a factor in this behavior. Make sure he associates you with good things like food, and hopefully he’ll begin to warm up to you. I’d also make a note to be sure that your kid is aware that he can’t treat the beardie as a toy. I’m sure your kiddo may be aware of that already, but sometimes things happen when beardie’s are purchased for children, which can result in the poor treatment of the critter from the child. Just to be sure lol.

I’m not sure how old your beardie is, but they are very territorial, so that may be another factor. He may see your hand as an invader into his territory. As the last replier said, I’d make sure his temps are good and have an appropriate tube UVB. How big is your tank? If it’s not big enough, this may be a part of the issue. What kind of substrate are you using, also? Husbandry may play a part in this, so I’d be sure everything is appropriate.
I have a heat lamp and a long UVB light - my son isn’t allowed around his cage when ash adult isn’t present. His substrate is shelf liner and I keep it pretty clean in there. It is a 20 gallon tank. Thank you

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
I have a heat light that stays around 95-101 degrees - I have a digital probe thermometer and around 80-85 on the cool side. I have a long uvb light that covers the other half of the cage. Overnight it goes to about 75-80 degrees.
Is the uv light t5 or t8 and how far away is it from the basking spot? Is it inside the enclosures or ontop of a screen?

Vampgutz

I have a heat lamp and a long UVB light - my son isn’t allowed around his cage when ash adult isn’t present. His substrate is shelf liner and I keep it pretty clean in there. It is a 20 gallon tank. Thank you
Okay, that’s good. While it is suitable for him at a small stage, 20 gallons will need to be increased to around 40 gallons at minimum when he’s older. Does he happen to have any caves or anything that he can hide in? It may be an issue of him feeling vulnerable or something. Otherwise just give him time, if you get the chance only do short, gentle touches. I wouldn’t try to hold him until he starts to accept those touches. If and when you hold him, just make sure you gently slide your hand underneath him, make sure he feels supported. He should hopefully at least tolerate pets eventually, even if he’s still not liking handling. Be patient with him. :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm going to take a different tact, everyone else is correct and habitat setup is absolutely critical, and can effect behavior. That being said, he IS a baby, not only is he a baby he is not a domesticated baby like a puppy. Beardies have to fend for themselves from day one. To your baby you are the biggest,scariest, GIANT its ever seen. Simply put he is scared. The trick to taming Beardies is first and foremost patience. It takes time to earn their trust, but there is stuff you can do to help. First don't ever approach him from above, they have a photo sensor type organ on there head, it for seeing changes in light. It's a defense mechanism to help them avoid birds.
Second be confident when you interact, if your nervous so is he. Use slow but confident movements when handling him. He is little if he bites it won't hurt. So don't act scared. Third keep some greens handy, tear off a few smallish pieces. If he gapes or hisses and is trying to bite, stick a piece of greens in his mouth. Eventually he will figure out if he trys to bite he is just gonna get food shoved in his mouth. Fourth put a small piece of your clothing in his habitat, it will help him learn your smell. Fifth your the boss, when you hold him he is going to try to escape and run. Don't let him, have him run hand over hand until he gets tired and settles. Do not put him back in his habitat until he is calm. This is important because if you give in you will reinforce bad behavior. Be gentle but also be in control.
Another thing, they jump and they will do so from any height. Be careful, it's probably best to handle him in his habitat until he is a little more trusting.falls can do serious harm or kill them. The more time you spend working with him the faster ge will learn your ok. Hand feeding also helps him to learn to trust your hands beibg near. Again move slowishly but with confidence.
I know this is long but i hope it helps :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Going to chime in here --- 20 gallon tanks are hard to keep temps - please make sure your surface basking temp is 105-110 taken w a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - also the uvb isxa long tube - please tell me the brand and bulb - this is critical - these things I am posting are crucial to him acclimating to the tank and his surroundings- I would recommend getting him into a bigger tank ( 75-120) gallon by the time he's 6 months or sooner depending on how fast he grows- I can help you get the 20 gallon set up correctly now and recommend what you will need for a larger tank-

SabrinaRose1220

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mario
Okay, that’s good. While it is suitable for him at a small stage, 20 gallons will need to be increased to around 40 gallons at minimum when he’s older. Does he happen to have any caves or anything that he can hide in? It may be an issue of him feeling vulnerable or something. Otherwise just give him time, if you get the chance only do short, gentle touches. I wouldn’t try to hold him until he starts to accept those touches. If and when you hold him, just make sure you gently slide your hand underneath him, make sure he feels supported. He should hopefully at least tolerate pets eventually, even if he’s still not liking handling. Be patient with him. :)
Sorry it is a 40 gallon tank 🤦🏻‍♀️

SabrinaRose1220

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mario
Going to chime in here --- 20 gallon tanks are hard to keep temps - please make sure your surface basking temp is 105-110 taken w a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - also the uvb isxa long tube - please tell me the brand and bulb - this is critical - these things I am posting are crucial to him acclimating to the tank and his surroundings- I would recommend getting him into a bigger tank ( 75-120) gallon by the time he's 6 months or sooner depending on how fast he grows- I can help you get the 20 gallon set up correctly now and recommend what you will need for a larger tank-
Sorry it is a 40 gallon tank 🤦🏻‍♀️ I am going to post a pic of his set up shortly

SabrinaRose1220

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mario

Attachments

• CFDDA365-6AEB-42CB-B1C1-CF4A23C6E754.jpeg
    CFDDA365-6AEB-42CB-B1C1-CF4A23C6E754.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 50854AF9-314C-420B-BC63-D775CE76A7FC.jpeg
    50854AF9-314C-420B-BC63-D775CE76A7FC.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 101

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I cant see the screen and your tank looks really nice--- if your screen is a fine mesh like a screen door please put the UVB either inside the tank or unobstructed -- place a piece of decor 12-15 inches directly under it - if your screen is a wide hole type you can leave on top but distance needs to be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- I would move the tree in the center you have a put the log there but you need the distance to be correct -- are you getting a surface basking temp off the hammock w/ a probe?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom