Nail trim pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdspdx

I was also hesitant to do nail trimming. I could not find anyone locally to do it. I just trimmed nails of my female, Atarka. It went really well. I got some small scissor type of clippers that are for puppies. I gave her a nice soak in a warm bath and then wrapped her in a soft towel. I then gently pulled out one foot at a time and trimmed.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You only need a pair of bird/cat nail scissors , they cost about $5 on Ebay.

When I do my skinks' and dragons' nails I only take a mm or 2 off each nail and do the job when my lizard is very relaxed ( having a snuggle ).
One nail at a time , I have to use a magnifying glass for the eastern water skinks' nails.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
When I first brought my girl to the vet I asked for a demonstration of nail trimming. I already had scissor-type cat nail clippers. Basically this : https://www.chewy.com/jw-pet-gripsoft-cat-nail-clipper/dp/40179

One of the vet techs there showed and helped me trim her nails. I already trim cat claws when needed. Like Kingofnobbys said you only take off a small amount, 1mm or 2mm at most. You can trim the nail when you dragon has been out of the enclosure awhile and had cooled down, makes trimming much easier in my experience.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
jdspdx":1g190i25 said:
I gave her a nice soak in a warm bath
IME (Mostly with wussy Labradors) this is excellent advice/practice.
We always do nail trimming right after a bath.
The warm soak softens the keratin, making it both easier to clip/cut, and easier on the pet. :wink:

I haven't had to clip ZaRDoZ' nails yet (finners crossed); I'm hoping the rough slate substrate and shale slabs will keep them short enough that it won't be necessary. So far--so good, but time will tell. :roll:

Anyone have long-term experience with this? :?:

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
MrSpectrum has a great point with tile. Tile flooring makes a difference in the nails buffing to a dull point. Also nail trimming after bath makes sense too

I only had to trim my girl's nails recently a few weeks after waking from brumating. She is starting to shed and grow, her nails grew faster than the tile floor could buff them down. Last year after I got the tile floors, the difference was noticable in that her nails didn't need trimming like before when it was just shelf liner on the floor. Even though I have less than a year experience with tile floors, that really makes a difference!

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I've trimmed Tamp's nails when she's super sleepy and/or when she's sleeping. I'll take her out and put her in a blanky and use small nail clippers to clip them. I was totally scared the first time I did it, but quickly realized there was nothing to it! Haha

Vanessa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom