nail loss or is it a toe nail. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

dociledragons

Juvie Member
I noticed the other day my dragon conrad lost another nail. It appears it just fell off.. not a big deal but just wondering why. no swelling or redness. Everything is normal except no nail.

How old is your dragon? 3 years
How long have you had your dragon? Purchased at 3 months old
How long is your dragon? About 17” I think
What is the sex of your dragon? male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 160 gallon tank
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? nothing
Details about the UVB lights (how old, brand, type)? Repcal 10.0
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? Within 10in
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Yes, spot light 50W
What are the basking temps? 110 temp
What is the cool side temp? 80 degrees
Thermometer used? digital
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Musterd greens, dusted roaches, squash. ect
How often are the feedings? Veggies everyday. Live food 2 week
Do you gut load (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes. No worms
Vitamin and Calcium supplements? brand(s)/how often? Repcal of course.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yep
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Twice week plus
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Not really
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? nope
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'd guess there was a bit of retained shed around the nail that cut off the circulation.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, thanks for answering the questions. I noticed that you said there wasn't any substrate down in the tank. If it's just the wood or glass there and nothing else, it's very possible that he got his toe jammed along the edge, then had to pull himself free. You really should have something on the bottom like slate tiles, non-adhesive shelf liner, reptile carpet, etc to keep him from sliding around & to also make him feel more secure.

You said you have the Repcal 10.0 UVB light. Did you mean Repti-Sun 10.0 or Repti-Glo 10.0? Is it a coil, compact or strip fluorescent bulb? The distance of 10" depends on what bulb you're using, but if it is a Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent, then the distance should be 6 to 8".

So, you're using a digital thermometer but does it have a long wire with a probe on the end? If not, it can be giving you inaccurate temp readings. With a 160 gallon tank (nice sized tank), it seems like you should need more than a 50 watt bulb.

Also, you said that you are giving "live food 2 week", does that mean that you are giving 2 roaches a wk? If so, an adult beardie can actually get 30 (large feeders like superworms) or 50 (small feeders like crickets or small roaches) a wk, so you might want to consider increasing that. How often are you using the calcium & vitamins a wk?

Please fill us in on the missing info so we can make sure everything is all perfect for him. :wink:

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
Finally got to spend a bit more time with my friends beardie. He lost another nail at some point right next to the one he had already lost. And to my surprise, she's got two new ones growing.

dociledragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Little Rob":72666 said:
Finally got to spend a bit more time with my friends beardie. He lost another nail at some point right next to the one he had already lost. And to my surprise, she's got two new ones growing.

I would imagine the dragon didn't loose the rude. as i wouldn't grow back if the entire nail was lost. My Male dragon has had 2 missing nails for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom