Nacho, need some advice and help!

Moba

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
I am looking for some advice. We do have 1.8 months old BD Nacho, he is very good boy. Lately I noticed he has problems with his back legs. I took him to the vet, but she is not an expert , she is more learning on him that provide us the answers. Please, see his pictures. Any ideas what is wrong with Nacho? He has something on his spine? Any advice/ info will be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6864.jpeg
    IMG_6864.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_6863.jpeg
    IMG_6863.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 73

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I do see the area on the spinal column. How long has Nacho had trouble with his back legs?
Overall, his bone brightness/density look pretty good. Could he have fallen & injured himself?
It looks like a vertebra has been damaged or subluxed causing pain & probably pinching his
spinal cord which affects his mobility.
Is he eating normally right now or able to catch any of his food?
How is he liking his new light & the placement of it?

Tracie

Moba

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
Hello,

I do see the area on the spinal column. How long has Nacho had trouble with his back legs?
Overall, his bone brightness/density look pretty good. Could he have fallen & injured himself?
It looks like a vertebra has been damaged or subluxed causing pain & probably pinching his
spinal cord which affects his mobility.
Is he eating normally right now or able to catch any of his food?
How is he liking his new light & the placement of it?

Tracie
Thank you for your reply. He like to seat in the window on the cat post, we always watch him but few months ago he jumped off cat post, he is a jumper lol. I didn’t notice anything wired then. His back legs are not working for 2 or now maybe 3 weeks. I do have pain killers for him from the vet. He doesn’t want to eat much lately, I making him smoothie from fresh veg and feeding him slowly with syringe. I just make him second home yesterday , smaller. 40 gallons. He like his new light in his 120 gallon. You think is this fixable? Just let him rest? Thank you for any suggestions.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Spinal injuries usually heal up but, it takes awhile. Which pain medication is he on?
Have you rearranged his tank to where he doesn't have to climb or move much in order
to bask & get his UVB lighting?
I would recommend getting some serrapeptase also, for pain relief since it is natural & you
can keep him on that long term as opposed to the pain medication. I would definitely limit
his movement as much as you can so as not to aggravate the spinal column.
We can hope that the swelling on & around the area will go down. It doesn't look like any
type of cyst or tumor, but like a vertebra issue.
I'm glad you are making food slurries/smoothies for him so he can get nutrition that way. Are
you getting adequate calcium for him, too?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Moba

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
Hello,

Spinal injuries usually heal up but, it takes awhile. Which pain medication is he on?
Have you rearranged his tank to where he doesn't have to climb or move much in order
I would recommend getting some serrapeptase also, for pain relief since it is natural & you
can keep him on that long term as opposed to the pain medication. I would definitely limit
We can hope that the swelling on & around the area will go down. It doesn't look like any
I'm glad you are making food slurries/smoothies for him so he can get nutrition that way. Are

Tracie
Thank you Tracie, I am at work now but I will send some more pic. Of his home later today. Yes, I am adding calcium and D3 to his smoothies:) I will let you know pain medicine name later as well, I do not remember. I was wondering if I should make cold compresses on swelling or maybe somehow put some bandage on him. Thank you again and I will come back with pic. Etc. Later today.

Moba

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
Hello,

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

I basically emptied his home, I left only a few rocks. In 120 gallon home I lower the UVB light and I am waiting for new basking bulb . He’s now in 40 gallon just for a few days to keep a closer eye on him. I ordered, some Dubia roaches for him some liquid exo terra electrolytes, and vitamins with D3 supplement ( i am not sure maybe will be better from powder we have calcium wigg th h D3 ) and insectivore /carnivore high AMP boost reptile supplement to help him recover faster. I will take your advice and buy for him different painkillers. Please see pictures attached of his rearranged homes for references, let me know how I can improve his homes more. My question is, can I somehow help him to stabilized his back legs? Should I? Thank you for your input and I appreciate your help.
Nacho mom.

Attachments

• IMG_6974.jpeg
    IMG_6974.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6973.jpeg
    IMG_6973.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6972.jpeg
    IMG_6972.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 47

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Tracie,

I basically emptied his home, I left only a few rocks. In 120 gallon home I lower the UVB light and I am waiting for new basking bulb . He’s now in 40 gallon just for a few days to keep a closer eye on him. I ordered, some Dubia roaches for him some liquid exo terra electrolytes, and vitamins with D3 supplement ( i am not sure maybe will be better from powder we have calcium wigg th h D3 ) and insectivore /carnivore high AMP boost reptile supplement to help him recover faster. I will take your advice and buy for him different painkillers. Please see pictures attached of his rearranged homes for references, let me know how I can improve his homes more. My question is, can I somehow help him to stabilized his back legs? Should I? Thank you for your input and I appreciate your help.
Nacho mom.
Please get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches - if the dragon is having a hard time moving I would remove all the rocks and place rolled up dish towels in the enclosure so he can get up under his basking decor bulbs - make sure you get a surface basking temp off the dish towels w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100-- every time you move him hes going to go thru relocation stress making him not want to eat - and if hes not feeling good thats not going to help either -- Tracie is gonna haft to advise on the supplements etc

Moba

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
Please get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches - if the dragon is having a hard time moving I would remove all the rocks and place rolled up dish towels in the enclosure so he can get up under his basking decor bulbs - make sure you get a surface basking temp off the dish towels w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100-- every time you move him hes going to go thru relocation stress making him not want to eat - and if hes not feeling good thats not going to help either -- Tracie is gonna haft to advise on the supplements etc
Thank you, he is 12/13 inch from uvb. He is eating warms but not enough veg, this is why smoothie is great. I think he like to be feed like a baby. He love to be on the rock and basking there. Temperature is 95-105, I do have thermometer gun. I like idea with the towels.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great. As Karrie suggested, the towels work very well & are very soft & give some cushion
for him. The basking temperatures are good then, hopefully he will stay where he needs to so he
can keep warm.
As far as the supplementation goes, I would definitely keep with the calcium 4-5 times per week,
but with the D3, limit that intake to 1-2 times weekly. They can actually get too much D3 & it can
cause oversupplementation or Hypervitaminosis D. It is a fat soluble vitamin which is stored & it
can become toxic in the system since it isn't flushed out often.
The slurries for nutrition are fine for him right now since he isn't eating much on his own.
How is he doing today?

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom